UCSF housing help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fzma

Alopthy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting at UCSF in the fall and was hoping to get some advice on the housing situation. Do most people live near campus? In other parts of the city? What is the on-campus housing like? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This thread will be moved to allo class threads in 3, 2, 1...

I'll be starting at UCSF in the fall and was hoping to get some advice on the housing situation. Do most people live near campus? In other parts of the city? What is the on-campus housing like? Thanks!
With the cost of living in SF, I'd be surprised if most students didn't live in Sunnyvale, San Jose or even farther out. I can't imagine going to school in SF or doing residency at UCSF when the median home value is $850,000+.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the cost of living in SF, I'd be surprised if most students didn't live in Sunnyvale, San Jose or even farther out.
Sunnyvale ain't much cheaper than SF. And you'd be insane to do the commute.
I can't imagine going to school in SF or doing residency at UCSF when the median home value is $850,000+.
Must be a regional thing. I don't know any Californians that would presume to buy a home while still a student. I'm sure that probably works in the midwest or somewhere, but buying a home within 10 miles of the California coast is pretty much for folks who are working full-time.

True about the expense...

But if you DONT buy a home, the you are out 90.000 in rent!!!!!

I have not idea what to do, Im going to UCSF in the fall, will be married, fresh outta undergrad and dont want to throw away 90 G's in rent!

Do most people live near campus? In other parts of the city? What is the on-campus housing like? Thanks!
Most UCSF students I know live either in the Inner Sunset (quick walk), Cole Valley (very expensive) or the Upper Haight (longer walk). Any other neighborhoods and you'll be busing to school. I'd avoid that, at least for your first year.

I don't know anything about those who live in the Mission Bay area. I think it's a pretty awful place to live. Most folks who've lived in SF would probably agree.

On campus housing is pretty, it's affordable, it's convenient to campus, and it's in one of the worst micro-climes in the city. There's a nice community up there, but you're a trek from any civilization (bar, restaurant or any shop) and it gets a lot of rain and fog. Lots of folks call it the Cloud Forrest.

But if you DONT buy a home, the you are out 90.000 in rent!!!!!
Where is the $90K coming from? Just curious.

If you don't have kids, you can get a nice one-bedroom for $1,600. Which is still $79K, I guess.

It's an expensive city, but not nearly as expensive as the reputation. We have great rent control laws here. I'm paying $1,300 for a small 2 bedroom in one of the priciest parts of town since I've been here a few years.

i would say live somewhere in the sunset and walk or take the N Judah which is a pretty nice and reliable street car. Most folks find places in SF on craigslist. PM me if you want more info or advice.

Just another opinion,

Most people don't realize that the house you live in can rarely be considered an investment - in that - in general, you do not MAKE money from the house you live in. At best you LOSE LESS MONEY than from renting. The exception would be when the market is giving 20%/yr increases AND you sell at the top of the market. The days of 20% yearly growth in housing prices are long gone in CA (the market is heading down currently).

There is a crossover amount where buying becomes cheaper than renting. If you compare a $1,600/mo apartment to a $800K house, and assume normal rates of price growth and a normal 30yr fixed loan, renting is a lot cheaper. (You could argue that a house is more desirable, but the difference between what you need and what you desire is called 'luxury', so each person determines there own price that they are willing to pay for luxury.)

$800K House, mortgage: $4K/mo (interest only loan), $1250/mo taxes/insur/maint, for 5 years = $315K that you will put into the house.

At the end of 5 years, total value including appreciation assuming 3%/yr price growth = $927K, equity minus selling cost of 6% = $72K.

So you have put in $315K to get back $72K which is a loss of $243K.

Renting for $1,600/mo would cost you $96K for 5 years.

So would you rather lose $96K over 5 years by renting or lose $243K over 5 years by buying?

(yes this assumes a house price, amount financed, interest rate, and a historically average appreciation)

Hope this makes sense and is useful.....

steven

A relevant link about housing in SFO:

http://homeguide123.com/articles/San_Francisco_Bay_Area_Housing_Report:_March_2007.html

median price down 2.1% from last year

QUOTE:
The Bay Area housing market has faced its fair share of challenges before, but has never experienced anything quite like this.

Prices have held up surprisingly well, despite the slip in sales, the rise in inventory, and the significant increase in defaults, however, it is unlikely that this trend will be able to continue.

If sales in the market do not pick up soon, prices will begin to fall. The growing number of foreclosed properties will also push values down. Neighborhoods with large numbers of foreclosed homes are most at risk.

When the April numbers are released, it is highly likely that median prices will have fell once again in Contra Costa, Solano, and Sonoma Counties.

I'm an MS1 at UCSF.

Most students live in the Inner Sunset or Cole Valley. Some students live at the Mission Bay campus, in student housing. A few others live in other parts of the city. The only person I know who doesn't live in San Francisco lives at home in South San Francisco. It would be horrible to live oustide the city; you'd never make it to school.

Here is how to find a place to live:

1. craigslist
2. craigslist
3. Talk to your fellow students, and then find a place with them using craigslist

It helps to be in the city when you're looking, because there's a lot of going to open houses/putting in applications in person involved. I came out for a few days with my dad and found a place; it was tough because I have a dog. Some people came for more than a week and lived in a hotel or a temporary place while they found an apartment.

You can start looking now to get an idea of neighborhoods/rents/etc., but unless you're planning on moving in May you won't find anything this early. Late July/early August is an ideal time to start your search. Use google maps to see how far away the apartments are from school (513 Parnassus is a good address to use).

It's not impossible! It's not even that bad :) If I can do it, coming from Texas with a dog, and my roommate can do it coming straight from China, anyone can :thumbup: Good luck!

My rent is $2900 total for a completely remodeled 3-2 (we're the first ones to live here since the remodel) in the Inner Sunset/Golden Gate Heights about 10 blocks from UCSF. I have friends who are in a 4-1 two blocks from campus, and their total rent is something disgustingly low like $2500. Mine is more because I have a dog, and places are harder to find.

So yeah. It's expensive compared to other places, but it's not Manhattan ;)

Where is the $90K coming from? Just curious.

If you don't have kids, you can get a nice one-bedroom for $1,600. Which is still $79K, I guess.

It's an expensive city, but not nearly as expensive as the reputation. We have great rent control laws here. I'm paying $1,300 for a small 2 bedroom in one of the priciest parts of town since I've been here a few years.

Sunnyvale ain't much cheaper than SF. And you'd be insane to do the commute.

Must be a regional thing. I don't know any Californians that would presume to buy a home while still a student. I'm sure that probably works in the midwest or somewhere, but buying a home within 10 miles of the California coast is pretty much for folks who are working full-time.
I was referring to the fact that if the median home value is ~$850K, then that means that apartment complexes are expensive, which leads to really high rent.

$1300 for a one-bedroom is mind-blowing. Are the rent rates that you guys are posting include parking a car? I hear they can really charge a premium for that. (>$200/month) If you don't own a car, how do you grocery shop? It's such a foreign concept to me....

$1300 for a one-bedroom is mind-blowing. Are the rent rates that you guys are posting include parking a car? I hear they can really charge a premium for that. (>$200/month) If you don't own a car, how do you grocery shop? It's such a foreign concept to me....

Those rents do not surprise me, but I have lived in DC and Boston where the rents cited above are comparable for a decent studio or 1 BR (you can spend a little less, but it will be a dump in a poor location).

SF is one of the most expensive ciites in the US if not the world. I am frankly surprised that anyone who is considering living in SF/NYC/Boston/DC/LA would not have some inkling of this situation. Same thing with the burden of a car - who in their right mind would have a car in SF?

Seems to me anybody applying to med school in one of these cities should be aware of the cost of living going in...

From craigslist:

>>Apr-28 $1250 / 2br - Spacious, quiet studio-- across UCSF - with washer and dryer (inner sunset / UCSF)<<

$1250 for a 2br is pretty cheap and it's across from UCSF. It's probably a dump, but still you don't need to live in luxury to go to med school and how often will you be at home anyway.

-s

Are the rent rates that you guys are posting include parking a car? I hear they can really charge a premium for that. (>$200/month)
Some places include a parking spot or a garage. For others, you street park, which can be a nightmare in some areas and easy in others.
If you don't own a car, how do you grocery shop? It's such a foreign concept to me....
Some folks shop more often with a few bags they carry home from their closest supermarket. Others bum rides. Lots of folks use zip cars or city car share. For those, you pay about $4 an hour and $0.30/mile and you pick up and drop off a car from around the city for errands.

It's a very easy city to live in without a car, but having one is handy.

Parking spots are almost never included. The spot in the garage in my house is $150/mo. Street parking permits are cheap, but you have to move your car at least once a week for street cleaning. And just like everywhere else, rents are more expensive per person in places with fewer rooms. A studio or a 1-br will almost always cost you more than if you had roommates.

Most people without cars grocery shop in a few ways . . . (1) farmer's market/mini grocery in the neighborhood, (2) go to safeway with a friend who does have a car, or (3) take the muni and only buy a few things at a time.

this and the wayne state thread asked general questions about student housing, and the threads were moved to a housing classified ad thread. i don't understand.

this and the wayne state thread asked general questions about student housing, and the threads were moved to a housing classified ad thread. i don't understand.
It is truly incredible how threads get moved around on SDN. Thread death almost always follows shortly thereafter.