UCSF (low/minimal debt) vs UCLA Geffen Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you choose?

• UCSF

Votes: 57 81.4%
  • UCLA

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

inoffensivepersona

Reaction score
So I have received all my financial aid offers and have narrowed it down to two schools. They both have second look the same weekend so I’m probably going to go to UCSF’s since I’m less familiar with San Francisco.

UCSF:

Potentially up to 10k in debt over the course of four years (I received essentially a full CoA for MS1 but the financial aid officer I spoke to said that I may or may not have to pay a little more as an MS3 and MS4 since summer tuition is included).

Pros:
-Super well established and prestigious in the medical community. There is a possibility I will want to go back to NY for residency so I’m assuming UCSF’s name could help with that.
-It seems very social justice oriented, which is a big reason why I wanna be a doctor.
-Impressive match list
-SF is a city I’ve never lived in and it seems like an adventure to live there. I don’t know too much about it though.
-P/F all four years with no rankings and AOA.
-A car isn’t absolutely necessary. I hate driving and loved going to college in Manhattan where the subway was extremely convenient and reliable.
-the Bridges Curriculum is more established than the new UCLA curriculum so there are less kinks to fix.
-I have gotten a great vibe from them so far and I had a sixth sense feeling at the beginning of this cycle that I would end up in SF.

Cons:
-Colder than LA and likely more dreary. Can someone speak to whether the SF weather ever gets people down? I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.
-Don’t really know anyone and don’t have much of a support system yet.
-Housing seems less nice than UCLA’s and things just feel a little more expensive.
-SF just seems very unfamiliar and a bit of a wild card. I’m concerned that I’ll be surrounded by the stress of Silicon Valley tech culture.

UCLA

Geffen Scholarship so full CoA for all four years. While UCSF’s financial aid was very generous, UCLA’s feels a little bit more generous.

Pros:
-LA is a large and great city has absolutely perfect weather, a lot of access to different foods and culture, Venice etc.
-I have family in LA and have lived there before.
-The new curriculum’s discovery year would allow me to get a masters degree too.
-Also super well established but maybe California centric?
-Impressive match list.
-Money wise it seems a little more comfortable.
-P/F preclinical and (maybe) clinical and no AOA. I’m not sure if there’s internal rankings and I’m not sure if clinical grades and AOA are returning.

Cons:
-Driving: I don’t know how I feel about dealing with LA’s traffic and smog on a regular basis, especially when I have rotations at Harbor or Olive View, which I’m excited about working at those hospitals but they’re so far.
-While familiarity is great, I wonder if I should branch out and go somewhere else.
-I’ve gotten a really weird vibe from the school. Like I’m so grateful for the acceptance and the scholarship, but things have felt delayed at times and I’ve felt a bit in the dark at times. It also feels more bureaucratic than UCSF.
-The new curriculum might have some issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone comment on weather and sunshine in San Francisco?
It’s definitely foggy in SF compared to LA or even the rest of the Bay, and the fog is worst around Parnassus campus specifically but gets better in other parts of the city/other places you’d spend your rotations in. A couple of med students mentioned they lived a bit further from campus (still v manageable w public transport or a car) so they could be in sunnier parts of the city. Temperature wise I think it’s pretty mild - never gets freezing cold, mostly warm and temperate, not as hot as LA but I like it that way because it’s less extreme. There will definitely be sunshine though, don’t worry - the fog mostly is during the mornings / summer months and is better in other months / during the afternoons. I don’t think you’d really get *that* much more sunshine at UCLA to make it worth it over UCSF. Maybe if we’re considering an east coast school vs UCLA, but the weather differences between NorCal and SoCal are really not that big.

Sounds good. It seems like weather is gonna be less important for me then.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to live in Aldea San Miguel as a single student. Those junior 1 bedrooms are really appealing to me right now.

Sounds good. It seems like weather is gonna be less important for me then.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to live in Aldea San Miguel as a single student. Those junior 1 bedrooms are really appealing to me right now.
Due to global warning and drought, it's mostly sunny here.

Reactions: 1 user
UCSF ALL THE WAY!!!

"I’ve gotten a really weird vibe from the school. Like I’m so grateful for the acceptance and the scholarship, but things have felt delayed at times and I’ve felt a bit in the dark at times. It also feels more bureaucratic than UCSF. The new curriculum might have some issues."

Sis, I felt the exact same way!!! It's such a weird vibe because nothing seems to be transparent. From their brown bag sessions and in-person second look, they still have no idea whether they're going to re-instate AOA and whether or not the clinicals will be P/F. They're still trialing all of these things in conjunction with the new curriculum and they're not very transparent about communicating with their students. You said you're social justice oriented? What other place to be than San Francisco!! The weather btw is ~gorgeous~ in SF, unlike the muddy, green waters of Santa Monica and Venice beaches :cautious:

UCSF ALL THE WAY!!!

"I’ve gotten a really weird vibe from the school. Like I’m so grateful for the acceptance and the scholarship, but things have felt delayed at times and I’ve felt a bit in the dark at times. It also feels more bureaucratic than UCSF. The new curriculum might have some issues."

Sis, I felt the exact same way!!! It's such a weird vibe because nothing seems to be transparent. From their brown bag sessions and in-person second look, they still have no idea whether they're going to re-instate AOA and whether or not the clinicals will be P/F. They're still trialing all of these things in conjunction with the new curriculum and they're not very transparent about communicating with their students. You said you're social justice oriented? What other place to be than San Francisco!! The weather btw is ~gorgeous~ in SF, unlike the muddy, green waters of Santa Monica and Venice beaches :cautious:
I was actually walking on the shores of Venice beach as you were writing this. I don’t think I agree with your determination that the beach is muddy and green. Nevertheless, I went to ucsf ASW and I was blown away. I loved SF and the people were so kind. I think I’ll be happy there, much happier than I was in undergrad at Columbia. F*** elitist northeastern institutions.

As I mentioned, I’m in LA right now. I love LA. I have a lot of family there. My dear sister goes to college there (at UCLA’s archenemy in south central). I went to UCLA’s campus last night with her and while I thought things were good, I didn’t feel as overcome by emotion as I did at UCSF. Literally after ASW concluded, I took the N to Ocean Beach and cried because of how happy I felt. I’m not usually an emotional person.

I’ve decided to commit to UCSF. I feel so grateful and lucky to be able to matriculate at this institution. I was such an insufferable and negative person before because I thought something was wrong with me that would forever leave me miserable. The last couple of days have made me realize that in the right environment, I can be a healthy and happy version of myself. That right environment for me at this time is San Francisco and UCSF.

• Care
I was actually walking on the shores of Venice beach as you were writing this. I don’t think I agree with your determination that the beach is muddy and green. Nevertheless, I went to ucsf ASW and I was blown away. I loved SF and the people were so kind. I think I’ll be happy there, much happier than I was in undergrad at Columbia. F*** elitist northeastern institutions.

As I mentioned, I’m in LA right now. I love LA. I have a lot of family there. My dear sister goes to college there (at UCLA’s archenemy in south central). I went to UCLA’s campus last night with her and while I thought things were good, I didn’t feel as overcome by emotion as I did at UCSF. Literally after ASW concluded, I took the N to Ocean Beach and cried because of how happy I felt. I’m not usually an emotional person.

I’ve decided to commit to UCSF. I feel so grateful and lucky to be able to matriculate at this institution. I was such an insufferable and negative person before because I thought something was wrong with me that would forever leave me miserable. The last couple of days have made me realize that in the right environment, I can be a healthy and happy version of myself. That right environment for me at this time is San Francisco and UCSF.
hell yeah, UCSF's ASW also completely made up my mind and i also cried like a baby after (and during) it because of how the weekend made me feel. excited to be ur classmate!!

• Care
It’s definitely foggy in SF compared to LA or even the rest of the Bay, and the fog is worst around Parnassus campus specifically but gets better in other parts of the city/other places you’d spend your rotations in. A couple of med students mentioned they lived a bit further from campus (still v manageable w public transport or a car) so they could be in sunnier parts of the city. Temperature wise I think it’s pretty mild - never gets freezing cold, mostly warm and temperate, not as hot as LA but I like it that way because it’s less extreme. There will definitely be sunshine though, don’t worry - the fog mostly is during the mornings / summer months and is better in other months / during the afternoons. I don’t think you’d really get *that* much more sunshine at UCLA to make it worth it over UCSF. Maybe if we’re considering an east coast school vs UCLA, but the weather differences between NorCal and SoCal are really not that big.
SF has beautiful weather except in the winter where rain occurs though less seldomly in recent years. The air quality is outstanding compared to LA. Excellent transportation and people are nicer in my opinion. How can one go through life without experiencing BART mass transportation? It is so efficient.

UCLA is not in the same league as UCSF in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How can one go through life without experiencing BART mass transportation? It is so efficient.
I agree UCSF>UCLA probs. but this has to be a joke right? no way u calling bart efficent

• Haha
I agree UCSF>UCLA probs. but this has to be a joke right? no way u calling bart efficent
I’m gonna speak from experience rn. BART is not as efficient as the NYC subway but it sure is more efficient than the Santa Monica bus system. I literally just finished running ten blocks to get to that bus on time.