UCSF mcat waive due to covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicajonesharvard

Reaction score
COVID-19 Related Information for 2021 Applicants

Delayed MCAT – UCSF will accept applications from individuals who were unable to take the MCAT due to COVID-related test cancellations. For these candidates, we will base secondary application decisions on the information that is available to us at the time of the application. Assuming that MCAT testing resumes prior to October, we will require applicants to have taken the MCAT before we make admissions decisions for the Class of 2025. If MCAT testing does not resume by October, we will reconsider the requirement. In any case, applicants should not delay applying simply because an MCAT score is not yet available.

Pass/Fail Grades – UCSF will accept pass/fail grades, without prejudice, for courses taken during the COVID pandemic. It has always been our practice to consider grades in the context of numerous other aspects of the application, and an international crisis certainly provides a unique and compelling perspective.

Online Courses – Many undergraduate schools have gone to online courses during the pandemic. We will accept online courses if they are offered by the school at which the candidate was enrolled prior to the current crisis. For students who are beyond undergraduate school, we will accept online courses undertaken to meet prerequisites regardless of the institution. If you are uncertain about your specific plans, please email the Admissions Office prior to enrolling in the course.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Well that's nuts - if it's real.

Where'd ya find that?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wild times! That being said, make sure the rest of your resume is bulletproof. With less things to stratify you, it will fall on other parts of your application to stand out. The MCAT is a pain in the butt, but it is the double edged sword that can be used to fix other parts of your resume. For example, I got a B and C in Bio 1/2, but not a soul cared when I got a 12 (yeah, I am old) on the Bio section. Without it, it means you will have to explain away any weaknesses in a different way.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Can someone explain to me how them accepting MCAT scores prior to the original last day for primary submission is any new information? And won't those without scores available inherently have a disadvantage when divvying out II's when compared to those with similar profiles that do have scores in? I want to make sure I'm understanding this right because nowhere in there did I read that they are waiving MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Wild times! That being said, make sure the rest of your resume is bulletproof. With less things to stratify you, it will fall on other parts of your application to stand out. The MCAT is a pain in the butt, but it is the double edged sword that can be used to fix other parts of your resume. For example, I got a B and C in Bio 1/2, but not a soul cared when I got a 12 (yeah, I am old) on the Bio section. Without it, it means you will have to explain away any weaknesses in a different way.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Not so fast -- the MCAT waiver is predicated on testing not resuming by the end of September. I realize that is possible as a worst case scenario, but at the beginning of April it seems like wishful thinking to assume that testing will not resume by sometime this summer!

Can someone explain to me how them accepting MCAT scores prior to the original last day for primary submission is any new information? And won't those without scores available inherently have a disadvantage when divvying out II's when compared to those with similar profiles that do have scores in? I want to make sure I'm understanding this right because nowhere in there did I read that they are waiving MCAT scores.
You are correct insofar as the MCAT waiver is predicated on testing not resuming by the end of September. What's new is that they are saying they will review your application without it. Previously, applications were not touched until they were complete, and that meant having an MCAT score on file. It is unclear whether "secondary application decisions" includes extending an II, or just means sending a secondary.

Since UCSF screens before sending secondaries, all this probably means is that they will send a secondary without an MCAT score, and wait for the score to come in before making an II decision. This means there won't be an inherent disadvantage, because they will hold back IIs (not all, but some) while waiting for the scores to come in as late as October. Their post doesn't say anything about IIs at all, so it's unlikely they will waste resources calling people in for interviews until the MCAT score is received, unless, of course, an MCAT won't be coming at all. In that case, they will "reconsider the requirement," so it's not clear whether or not there will be a disadvantage.

Last edited:
You are correct insofar as the MCAT waiver is predicated on testing not resuming by the end of September. What's new is that they are saying they will review your application without it. Previously, applications were not touched until they were complete, and that meant having an MCAT score on file. It is unclear whether "secondary application decisions" includes extending an II, or just means sending a secondary.

Since UCSF screens before sending secondaries, all this probably means is that they will send a secondary without an MCAT score, and wait for the score to come in before making an II decision. This means there won't be an inherent disadvantage, because they will hold back IIs (not all, but some) while waiting for the scores to come in as late as October. Their post doesn't say anything about IIs at all, so it's unlikely they will waste resources calling people in for interviews until the MCAT score is received, unless, of course, an MCAT won't be coming at all. In that case, they will "reconsider the requirement," so it's not clear whether or not there will be a disadvantage.
Ah okay that makes sense, the title threw me for a loop because it wasn't what I was reading! :confused:

I'm guessing then they will send out more secondaries in general if they were previously selective as I'm not sure how it could be justified to give them out to people without the complete picture while withholding it from others that do have everything set.

It seems like the application cycle just keeps getting crazier for premeds. Last year we had the choose your medical school tool, this year COVID, next class will not have a graded step 1... what’s next?

Also, it’s good to see you back on these forums, Jessicajonesharvard.

It seems like the application cycle just keeps getting crazier for premeds. Last year we had the choose your medical school tool, this year COVID, next class will not have a graded step 1... what’s next?

Also, it’s good to see you back on these forums, Jessicajonesharvard.

<3

Thank you for posting this link. It shows that schools are stepping up and making decisions about how to handle the situation. This will likely be one of many announcements we will see over the next few weeks.