UCSF OMFS residency program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Max-Art

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every body,

I was wondering if any body here has an insight about UCSF oral surgery residency program. I’ve been hearing a lot of contradictions about the program. Does the program have a strong surgical component? I know that the new program director (Dr. Schmidt) is big in head and neck surgery and he has done the H/N oncology fellowship in Portland. Also, the program accepts 4 residents a year and I was wondering if all the resident would get to do major surgeries; of course that would depend on the number of cases they get and wither or not the hospital is a busy trauma center. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Max-Art said:
Hello every body,

I was wondering if any body here has an insight about UCSF oral surgery residency program. I’ve been hearing a lot of contradictions about the program. Does the program have a strong surgical component? I know that the new program director (Dr. Schmidt) is big in head and neck surgery and he has done the H/N oncology fellowship in Portland. Also, the program accepts 4 residents a year and I was wondering if all the resident would get to do major surgeries; of course that would depend on the number of cases they get and wither or not the hospital is a busy trauma center. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you qualify for a six year spot.... If you don't attend specific dental schools (Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Connecticut I believe) you will only be eligible for their 7 year program. Additionally they send someone to Sacramento for medical school. I was really unhappy when I learned this at my interview. :mad: I thought it was a good program, but San Fancisco is the most expensive city in the country and 7 years is hard to swallow when there are excellent 6 year training programs and even 5 year MD intergated programs out there... If you are really a glutton for punishment they have a 10 year MD/PhD integrated OMFS track. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Extraction said:
Make sure you qualify for a six year spot.... If you don't attend specific dental schools (Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Connecticut I believe) you will only be eligible for their 7 year program. Additionally they send someone to Sacramento for medical school. I was really unhappy when I learned this at my interview. :mad: I thought it was a good program, but San Fancisco is the most expensive city in the country and 7 years is hard to swallow when there are excellent 6 year training programs and even 5 year MD intergated programs out there... If you are really a glutton for punishment they have a 10 year MD/PhD integrated OMFS track. :laugh:

yeah....they're pretty insane. Their omfs program wont even let the ucsf dental students enter into the 6 year track!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't too impressed by the program. country club in my opinion. Pogrel is not very active anymore. All the faculty are young and unproven. Shmidt just finished his cancer fellowship at oregon 2 or 3 yrs ago and is trying to establish himself at the ucsf mc. i think hes tiptoeing around so he doesn't step on ent's domain. they do the neck dissections and plastics to the flaps. the residents said that schmidt does most of the surgery. they send 1 person to ucsf each yr and 2 to davis. ucsf spots are reserved for applicants from columbia, uconn, harvard (basically dental schools where 1st 2yrs are spent taking classes together with med students). 7yr program for the rest of the applicants (3 yrs of med, no thanks). one of the chief who is in 6 yr track said during the interview that if he had to do 7 yrs like his co-residents, he would not have gone to ucsf. something to think about.
Doggie said:
yeah....they're pretty insane. Their omfs program wont even let the ucsf dental students enter into the 6 year track!

Consider yourself lucky if you get sent to Sacto. UCDMC is a very busy place, and you'll have plenty of things to do. When I was there at ucdmc, there was only 2 dentists for the whole med center; and the resident got to do lots of work.
I guess that the students who graduated from schools that have same class with med students will get to do 6 yrs program. You have to admit those poor dental students study more than we do, and they do deserve a 1 yr break.
I wouldn't be happy if I have to sit in the same class with med students, learning stuff I never use. :eek:

would they let you know in advance about which track you're accepted in? you don't want to spend a year as an intern then you find out that you're going to sac. for med school !

Extraction said:

Why do you say the program is only for (Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Connecticut I believe)? Someone else said that also, it was on of the schools I was interested in when I apply to OMFS next year.

Brutus0725 said:
Why do you say the program is only for (Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Connecticut I believe)? Someone else said that also, it was on of the schools I was interested in when I apply to OMFS next year.

It has something to do with taking core classes (biochem, micro, path etc) with the med students at the institution you grad from dental school. The amount of med school required and which classes you take is dependent on the med school giving you the MD, not the preference of the OMFS training program. Top ranked med schools seem to require more months from OMFS residents to get a MD degree from their institution. Even so, they may not have the space for a 6 year resident defaulting you to a 7 year track. It all a bunch of BS. I'd contact them and find out before I accepted an interview there. My flight from the east coast cost me almost $700 when I interviewed there, only then did I find out I was only eligible for the 7 year spot and that they would not promise which med school I would be sent to... the program's website was ambiguous. Three years of med school tuition and cost of living in San Francisco and an extra year of residency is a huge economic cost. I ranked it dead last on my rank list for that reason, but might have ranked it somewhere in the middle based only on merits of the OMFS program. On the bright side they took us to some great restuarants, and gave us lots of alcohol.

Brutus0725 said:
Because the med school obviously hasn't figured out that OMFS residents everywhere else in the country pass the USMLE without even going to med school. This is what buys you a spot in the 3rd year of med school.

The training isn't worth the cost in my opinion. I would sit out and do an intern year then reapply to 6-year residencies before I would start a 7-year one at UCSF.