UCSF or YALE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigertail

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off the waitlist at Yale. Which school is better ? UCSF or Yale

Thank you.

P.S. Pls advice ASAP, need to make decision soon. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by tigertail:
•I recently got off the waitlist at Yale. Which school is better ? UCSF or Yale

Thank you.

P.S. Pls advice ASAP, need to make decision soon. :confused:

ASAP response:

I respect your situation, but what kind of question is this?? Haven't you visited the schools? Of course UCSF is better. I've never even heard of Yale! Is it accredited??? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, congratulations! I'm sure you know that they are both great schools, and in many ways they will offer similar opportunities to you. They also both seem to have very high student satisfaction. How much will cost be a factor (ie, are you a CA resident)? If you are a CA resident, or are planning to try and become one, you will save a LOT of money going to UCSF. Then, there's quality of life. San Francisco can be a very fun, exciting city. Cost of living is probably higher than New Haven, but rents have been going down this year in SF. And of course, there are the differences in curriculum. How important is the "Yale system" to you?

Since the schools are very similar reputation-wise, personally it would boil down to a quality of life issue for me.

Basically the question boils down to what school is a better fit for you. Think about what you ideally wanted in a med school, and see which school most closely matches up with that image.

if I was given the choice today, I'd go to SF (by the way, if you know of a way to give me this choice today, please let me know ASAP). Anyways the point is thats me, I haven't interviewed at either, and only driven thru new haven once. Both great schools, you're not gonna do yourself any harm by picking the one you prefer. Go with your guy, what you liked better, or whats cheaper if there is a significant difference. Good luck, there are many on here that envy such a decision, and remember the others on waitlists want the spot you don't take so decide asap.

UCSF. They have top residency programs in many competitive specialties--especially derm. The city is hot too.

UCSF all the way. And if you're not a california resident.....you must've have had some incredible application. Be proud of yourself.

This is a toughie. I mean both are not well respected schools, and the graduates of both school get very lousy residencies :cool: . ANyways, since you did ask, I would have to go with UCSF. my two cents