UCSF pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idealist22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i'm a fourth year who's currently perseverating over my peds rank list. when i interviewed at ucsf and spent a second look day there, i was highly impressed by the program. however, i was left with some additional questions/concerns. and i am kind of concerned by the less-than-stellar reviews (one by a ucsf med student) posted about the program on scutwork.com.
are there any med students or residents out there who are familiar with the peds program (especially those who are familiar with other peds programs and can make comparisons) who can give me your opinions? in particular, it would be great if you could address:
-quality of/emphasis on teaching
-attending-resident relations
-low patient volume?
-lack of peds ER faculty at UCSF/SF general
-cohesiveness of residents, given that they're spread over five sites
-general happiness of the residents
-do ucsf students like their peds rotations in general? do ucsf students who go into peds tend to stay at ucsf or go elsewhere?
-differences you notice between ucsf as a peds dept. vs. a freestanding children's hospital (my short list includes bcrp, seattle, and chop)

your input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I in fact had the exact same impression as you and then saw the same reviews on Scutwork. I also do not know what to make about the major differences between my great experience and what I have read. I would be interested in getting the opinion of a UCSF med student as well. My gut tells me that with a PD whose philosophy of resident education seemed so right on, the program has to be pretty resident friendly. But one can be fooled over a 6 hour interview day. I can say though, that I liked UCSF a lot more than I liked Stanford

Sorry, I don't have any specific information, but I know that you should go with your gut (no matter how generic this sounds). And you should definitely place more value in your gut feeling than what some med student posted anonymously on a website. They may have motivations and/or agendas that you are unaware of.