UCSF Pseudo-problem based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the UCSF and some other schools use the problem based approach in a portion of their curriculum, can anyone please explain how that works?

like a pseudo-problem based thing....ive been to USC a PBL only school and I wanted to know how the pseudo thing works....thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know exactly but my guess is you just have a time spent each week working on and discussing case studies that tie into what you are learning.

jonnytight said:
....ive been to USC a PBL only school ...

Actually, I've heard that USC is one of those pseudo-schools itself. I think the only true PBL skool is Harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
delicious said:
Actually, I've heard that USC is one of those pseudo-schools itself. I think the only true PBL skool is Harvard.

I believe USC is totally PBL, and Harvard has combination of PBL and classes. There are no classes at USC.

So nobody knows how UCSF is?

balance said:
I believe USC is totally PBL, and Harvard has combination of PBL and classes. There are no classes at USC.

jonnytight said:
So nobody knows how UCSF is?

UCSF is based on class/lecture and they give you two half a day off for self-study, research or other things. But for sure UCSF is based on class/lecture and pass/fail grade system.

Balance, just to clarify....so UCSF is only traditional learning? There is no problem based learnging?

Thanks

balance said:
UCSF is based on class/lecture and they give you two half a day off for self-study, research or other things. But for sure UCSF is based on class/lecture and pass/fail grade system.

jonnytight said:
Balance, just to clarify....so UCSF is only traditional learning? There is no problem based learnging?

Thanks

yes, no pbl at ucsf