UCSF Q & A's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow UC applicants!

If any of you have received a 2ndary from SF, please offer feedback to these questions:

Is UCSF strict @ the BIO prereqs having to be a class other than human anat or physiology (the only 2 I've taken)? I spoke w/ an admissions counselor today and she sounded pretty adamant @ that, but said it's possible to write a letter to the adcom requesting that they be accepted. Right now, I can't even consider taking 2 more bio classes this coming year. :(

For disadvantaged status, since SF is not looking @ the "disadv" essay from AMCAS, is it ok to reuse it for the 2ndary? Also, does SF automatically send a 2ndary to disadv applicants?

I would be grateful if past or present applicants have any ideas. Wish everyone stamina getting through the secondary process!

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF is a freakishly difficult school to get into. You really don't want to start off by asking them for exceptions. Sign up for some other bio classes now.

I don't think they will make exceptions to their prerequisites, but if you want to write a letter you could do so. I would seriously consider taking the 2 bio courses. However, you shouldn't think that b/c you are now taking these 2 courses you are gauranteed a spot, an interview, or even a secondary. They do not automatically send secondaries to disadvantaged applicants. However, disadvantaged applicants get a few more bonus points in the initial screenings, so it does definitely help. They look at gpa, mcat, PERSONAL STATEMENT, extracurriculars, leadership, BACKGROUND, etc...when they screen for secondaries. So, if aspects of your primary application are borderline, being disadvantaged may help you pass the first hurdle. FYI - they send approximately 1400 secondaries (out of 4500-5000 primaries). If you checked disavantaged there is an essay to write, if you did not, all you have to do is sign the secondary, send a check, and get your letters of rec over to them (atleast that is how it was last year). Then, about 500 of the 1400 get invited to interview.

If the office of admissions gave you the impression that your courses would not be acceptable they are probably accurately representing the thoughts of any other person you would talk to at UCSF. I would try, but expect to take 2 more courses if you are serious about being considered.

Good luck :D

I would seriously consider taking the 2 bio courses. However, you shouldn't think that b/c you are now taking these 2 courses you are gauranteed a spot, an interview, or even a secondary. They do not automatically send secondaries to disadvantaged applicants.

Souljah1 & None,

Thanks for your replies! I'll start psyching myself for the possibility of taking more bio in the spring, IF I make it to the interview stage. I did list some extra future bio courses on amcas just in case.

Also, if it helps anyone else, the UCSF lady (Kathy, I think) I spoke with said that chem and physics prereqs could be waived if you have AP/exemptions, but not with bio.

I asked if the UC's automat. send out 2ndary's to disadvan app. b/c my mcat's are abysmal (let's just say mid-20's, though I just retook this weekend), and I've already heard back from SF, SD, and LA.