UCSF question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what does UCSF look for in an applicant, besides good GPA and DAT scores? for example, do they emphasize research experience, or community service like Arizona? especially if there are any UCSF students here, can you give me some advice on maximizing my chances of being accepted to UCSF? also, what is the school like, in terms of facilities, campus, where in SF it's located (downtown?), type of students who attend (many nerds?), diversity, national boards pass rate, etc.? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One more thing not to be mentioned. UCSF does not like to see "W"s in the transcript. A stuff of Admission I contacted in phone said, "It really looks bad, and might hurt you."

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by grettlin2
One more thing not to be mentioned. UCSF does not like to see "W"s in the transcript. A stuff of Admission I contacted in phone said, "It really looks bad, and might hurt you."

do you think that even one W (in a non-science, non-predent required course) will hurt me admissions-wise? if so, man, ucsf is scary.

super, actually that is my question too.
However, she said there are more students doing well in their academic history without Ws, so..... Then, I hand on the phone and start worry. That is basically what I get from them 3 weeks ago.

Hey predents, I can see that the name ucsf really scares everyone away.

Luckily, that's not the case. I'm a D1 there, and I can tell you from my experience.

1. The school pays lots of attention on DAT score. If you have superb scores, your W will be forgiven.
Our class DAT average is 21, GPA average is 3.5. Most of my classmates have their academic average scores in the neighborhood of 20, 21, and 22. A few have super scores like 25 and up.

2. UCSF also is big on community service. It's even bigger than their emphasis on research. I strongly suggest that you guys do community works, so your application looks good.

3. The school is located in the sunset area. Probably the highest part of the city of SF. It's very beautiful. The library has the view of the golden gate bridge. Our library is 5 stories, and it's exclusively for all health science related materials. The clinic also has breath taking view of the city, the ocean. It's 5min walk from the Golden Gate Park. The neighborhood is very safe.

4. UCSF has altogether 6 professional schools (dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, and the graduate division). The dental school has hygiene program, international dentist, etc...

5. UCSF has 11 sattelite clinics from eureka to san diego. Just in the city of SF, we have two sattelite clinics: Buchanan dental center houses the international dentists program. The community homeless clinic downtown is run by dental students.(and we are so proud of this) We go there and work on real patients the very first year(we will start next week). Second year, D2already start doing simple fillings, etc... at the community clinic. At the beginning of the fourth year, you have to go to a sattelite clinic for 3 weeks for externship, and play real doctor. Nobody check on you, just do your work, treat patients on your own. Our D4 are really enjoying this.

6. UCSF has the second highest patient pool in the state of CA (only behind lomalinda), about 144,000 patients/yr. You can never run out of patients here. Just the matter of luck that you get good patients or not. The school is extremely generous to students. Most of us get about 9K in average UC grant (free money). Most of loans are also UC loan so interest free while you are in school. Usually we only have to take out the federal subsidize loan. Our graduate debt average is 70K. I think the number is increasing with UC fee increases. But it's still a very good bargain compare to other schools.

7. The school has so many programs that you can participate, observe, etc. There are so many activities here. You guys will have lots of fun while studying. Our gym is super. Most of my classmates enjoy lives way so much. They have a good time explore the city, the school. It seems like lots of socialize, activities going on, all the time. Also, talking about diversity, this is the place. Our class is so even, 40 males, 40 females. And our students together speak 40 different languages. So, it's a big plus for our patients.

8. Faculties here are also nice. Our anatomy prof. give us their cell phone number. So, we can just call them up any time to bug for help. Nobody is ever alone, or single out here. We all stick together. Our class is just so wonderful. Everyone seems to be very talented.

Do not hestitate to apply even if you are out of staters. Especially students from those WICHE states. My class has 10 out of staters. And needless to say, they are all excellent to get here. We even have one canadian.

I wish you guys all the best of luck. Please post more questions, I'll try to answer all of them.

Tinker. As usual, you really give us the live report about ucsf. It is so detail and attractive. You should be very proud of your school!:)

Tinkerbell,
Wow, awesome advice- you're the best! Thank you so much for your excellent response. The information you provided is everything I wanted to know. I have always been interested in UCSF and it is definitely my #1 choice, and it would be an honor to go there. Also, thanks for representing your school here on SDN-- i've seen a lot of representation and talk about Arizona, Tufts, UOP, Indiana, NYU, etc, but not much on the UC's. Well, thanks again for the info, and I really hope to see you at UCSF in the future! :clap:

Hey guys,

I'm sure you guys will be at UCSF next year. Let me know when you come for an interview. We can do a practice interview b4 you come in for the real one.

Good luck:clap: :clap:

I just heard that the UCSF hygienist program was dropped and that recently there had been some UCSF "troubles" but they weren't explained to me by the dentist who told me about them. UCSF is my no 1 choice so I was wondering about this stuff. My stats:
GPA: 3.45
Academic DAT: 20
Science DAT: 20
PAT: 18 :(
VERY strong research background
volunteer at a mobile dental clinic

The periodontist I observed suggested that I should take the DATs over again and shoot for at least a 21 in both Academic and PAT if I wanted to get into UCSF.

-Trem

Hey Tink-

thanks for all the UCSF info! I have a couple of questions for ya:

Do you know when they will start offering interviews? Did they call you for an interview, or did you get something in the mail? I got a letter dated 9/15 saying that my app is complete, but that's it. Are they late this year, or do they usually take this long?

The letter mentioned something about the Regents Scholarship- what is that? Is it only open to CA-residents?

Is tuition still around 10K/year?

Also, I toured UCSF back in May and my tour guide said that, starting for the incoming class of 2004, students will be graded P/F....is this still true?

thanks!

TremorX,
I suggest do not retake the DAT. Your score and GPA is good enough. I have one question for you. It also depends on where you reside right now.
People with lower GPA will need high DAT scores (above the class average). If your GPA is good, then one point lower than class average is no big deal.
Do you speak spanish? If you do, it will be a big plus for you also.

Pixie,

ucsf interview starts really late (mid october) usually. And last until early march. It takes at least one month for your application to be reviewed from the day it's completed. I don't think you will hear anything from them until late october.

Interviews are invited by mail.

UC Regents scholarship is the highest scholarship. It opens for everyone. A guy in my class who is the recipient is an out of stater.

Tuition is around 13K after the uc fee increase now.

P/F thing is a rumor. I have not heard of it announce officially yet. So, I still have to study hard. But even if it's P/F, it's probably will be like ucla. High pass, low pass, etc...equivalent to A, B, C. Not much different at all.
Bottom line: You will always have to study hard.

:laugh: :D :D

I live in San Jose right now and I took a lot of Spanish in High School and plan on brushing up on it, but I'm by no means a fluent speaker.

What about my PAT score? Won't that hurt me?

-Trem

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you can send email to me, or pm. You can click on my name, or my profile. Then click on sending email. I have received lots of email from SDNers.

TremorX,
If you can speak spanish, put it down in your application. Noone can speak a foreign landguage fluent, unless you live in the country or speak it at home.
Remember not to hold back anything when you guys fill out the secondary. You have all the chance in the world to fill out, to show the adcoms all the positive things about your marvelous self. This is the time to shine, show it.

I just wanted to point out how many mature members we have on this board. I know this is a health prof board, but it amazes me how well educated, involved, and apt to help one another we all are.

I just got an interview invite from UCSF via e-mail!!!! wahoooo!!

I am so excited.

They gave me Oct. 17th as my date, but I'm gonna have to change that because I have UOP on nov. 6 and I don't want to fly to CA twice.......too much $$$

I just got my UCSF interview by e-mail too! They also gave me Oct. 17, but I have to reschedule 'cuz my parents are visiting me that weekend. I'm also going to interview at UOP a week from Monday and I really don't want to have to fly to San Francisco twice either ($$$!!!!).

Congrats KMF!!!!

Well, I rescheduled my UOP interview to Oct. 16, so I will be at UCSF the 17th!!!

Just wondering when did you turn in your secondary application for UCSF and UOP?

pixies_fan
are you a CA resident?

nope- I'm not a Cali resident, and I'm sadly not WICHE either (refer to my colorado thread for that one!)

I turned in all my stuff to those schools in August

Ecdoesit,
I know your question was addressed to someone else, but just thought you'd probably find my answers to those questions interesting as well. I submitted my secondary on August 29 and I am also a CA resident. Hope this helps you.

Thanks.

I, along with other applicants, will appreciate you if you will leave us interview feedbacks.