UCSF School of Pharmacy Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everybody..just a final plug for tomorrow evening's get together at
Yancy's Saloon (734 Irving Street). Hope to see a lot of you there :)

Members don't see this ad.

all right! i went straight to the source and called up UCSF office of registrar... they received my SLR. according to the lady, there is no relation between submitting SLR and getting that letter, nor is there really a deadline for the SLR... it's just a "tactic" to get us to submit it ASAP. everyone should be getting letters with SIS information she said by the end of the month, or beginning of may.

whew, i definitely would have lost my mind waiting til the end of the month!

i'm going to taiwan for 3 weeks in may, do y'all think i need to let someone know??? maybe i should be letting registrar or joel or someone know...

all right! i went straight to the source and called up UCSF office of registrar... they received my SLR. according to the lady, there is no relation between submitting SLR and getting that letter, nor is there really a deadline for the SLR... it's just a "tactic" to get us to submit it ASAP. everyone should be getting letters with SIS information she said by the end of the month, or beginning of may.

i'm going to taiwan for 3 weeks in may, do y'all think i need to let someone know??? maybe i should be letting registrar or joel or someone know...

LOL, I figured that. I remembered there was no real rush for us to get the SLR in--it's just only used to determine whether we're eligible for in-state fees or not.

I don't think you need to let Joel/registrar know unless you really want to make sure for your own peace of mind--not like there's going to be anything really pressing that has to be done before May, given that you've already graduated and sent in your transcripts. (right?)

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha! Stkyrice gave me a scare too when he wrote he got confirmation after submission of his SLR. The admissions paranoia will probably never end until we are all actually sitting in our first class this fall!

As for the mail, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be nice to have a friend or parent take care of your mail while you are gone just in case something important does come. But, I'm guessing the next important things to come will be financial aid awards and housing (which should come in June). If you are still trying to fulfill pre-requisites, maybe you will get mail about that??

Enjoy Taiwan. That's going to be fun!:D

LOL, I figured that. I remembered there was no real rush for us to get the SLR in--it's just only used to determine whether we're eligible for in-state fees or not.

I don't think you need to let Joel/registrar know unless you really want to make sure for your own peace of mind--not like there's going to be anything really pressing that has to be done before May, given that you've already graduated and sent in your transcripts. (right?)

yeah i graduated in 2007... i submitted all my transcripts, finaid, all paperwork is done! just have the SIS left... then the student health insurance stuff, get vaccines/tests done as needed... i guess that can wait til i get back!

Haha! Stkyrice gave me a scare too when he wrote he got confirmation after submission of his SLR. The admissions paranoia will probably never end until we are all actually sitting in our first class this fall!

As for the mail, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It would be nice to have a friend or parent take care of your mail while you are gone just in case something important does come. But, I'm guessing the next important things to come will be financial aid awards and housing (which should come in June). If you are still trying to fulfill pre-requisites, maybe you will get mail about that??

Enjoy Taiwan. That's going to be fun!:D

yay taiwan!!! hehe. i think i won't have to worry about it then. i will set an email away message perhaps!

Hey guys! I had a question....Is anyone else having issues with the housing website? I'm trying to sign up for the mission bay apts but after the first page, all I get are instructions and a blank page... So I click next (since it's the only button there), and it takes me to the end of the application....

I've switched to internet explorer, and even updated it to IE8, but i still see nothing on the page... Is their page down? Or is my outdated super slow laptop seriously having problems? Thanks!

Thanks for cheburaska for planning the get-together last night at Yancy's...I had a really great time. :D

I'm thinking we should totally do another get-together for the SF/NorCal people in May for the people who are graduating--maybe all-you-can-eat shabu-shabu at Cafe Mum's?

A bunch of us went to have drinks that night actually at Yancy's so we didn't go. I've never been to the Black and White, so I'm not sure how it is though.

Cheburashka did a great job of organizing it though. :)

A bunch of us went to have drinks that night actually at Yancy's so we didn't go. I've never been to the Black and White, so I'm not sure how it is though.

Cheburashka did a great job of organizing it though. :)

Yes, she did. It was a real treat meeting everyone and I am looking forward to meeting the rest of our crew :)

Yes, she did. It was a real treat meeting everyone and I am looking forward to meeting the rest of our crew :)

Awe, you, guys, are too sweet and making me blush.:oops: I can't make it to this Saturday'x mixer due to insane exam schedule next week, but would love to hang out in May.

UCB, if you are still interested in learning how to rock climb together, I can send you a link to that beginner's rockclimbing class UCSF offers. I think it be quite thrilling to learn how to rock climb. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone living in the Bay Area ? Do you plan to commute to SF ? Looking at the insane rent price in SF I think I might save a lot of money living with my parents in Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area and take the Bart and N-Juda train to the campus.

I've just looked at the Bart/N-Juda train schedule and it looks like I will have to spend 1 hour and 15 minutes to commute everyday to SF. (10-15 minutes from my parents house to the Bart in Pleasant Hill, then 40 minutes from Pleasant Hill to Civic Center, and another 15 minutes ride to campus). The total cost would be 280 bucks a month.

Comparing this to renting/sharing a room in SF (which would cost me at least 800-1000 including utitlies), I would save around 500-700 per month and thats a lot of money. The only downside I can think of is the social life that I won't be able to participate in SF and of course the 2.5 hours (round trip) wasted everyday.

What do you guys think? I also wonder what time classes start in the morning since this is also a big factor for me. If classes start really early in the morning, I'm gonna have to wake up 2 hours or more earlier because of the long travel time and I'm not sure I can do that lol since I'm kinda a night person.

Is there anyone living in the Bay Area ? Do you plan to commute to SF ? Looking at the insane rent price in SF I think I might save a lot of money living with my parents in Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area and take the Bart and N-Juda train to the campus.

I've just looked at the Bart/N-Juda train schedule and it looks like I will have to spend 1 hour and 15 minutes to commute everyday to SF. (10-15 minutes from my parents house to the Bart in Pleasant Hill, then 40 minutes from Pleasant Hill to Civic Center, and another 15 minutes ride to campus). The total cost would be 280 bucks a month.

Comparing this to renting/sharing a room in SF (which would cost me at least 800-1000 including utitlies), I would save around 500-700 per month and thats a lot of money. The only downside I can think of is the social life that I won't be able to participate in SF and of course the 2.5 hours (round trip) wasted everyday.

What do you guys think? I also wonder what time classes start in the morning since this is also a big factor for me. If classes start really early in the morning, I'm gonna have to wake up 2 hours or more earlier because of the long travel time and I'm not sure I can do that lol since I'm kinda a night person.

This is a really good question - you should post it on facebook and make it into a discussion topic. I remember P2 students saying we might have an 8 am class, something like biostatistics, but I can't recall exactly.

yes we will have 8am class... 3 days a week probably, but only in first year.

i was thinking of commuting from berkeley as well, but i don't live w/ my parents here, so i actually wouldn't save any money by commuting unless i couldn't find a place for under $1200 in SF... i plan on living alone, so yeah, it'll be a bit tough but i decided finally i will move. reasons for moving (for me at least): to get more involved with campus, be able to use the gym at my leisure, less time spent on commuting, parking doesn't seem SO painful in sunset so my car will be ok. but it's mostly just for time and those 8am classes.

but for you, saving $700-800 a month by living at home, that's a definite yay! so that may outweigh everything i reasoned out. if i were you, i'd try commuting from home. you can stay on campus for events and socializing, then go home on the last bart if you really want. but if it doesn't work, just move after the first qtr or during winter break... yup!

For this quarter, the P1's have 8am (Mon/Tues/Wed), no class Thurs (unless you happen to have been assigned the lab from 9am-12noon like someone I know :laugh:) and 10am on Fri.

For this quarter, the P1's have 8am (Mon/Tues/Wed), no class Thurs (unless you happen to have been assigned the lab from 9am-12noon like someone I know :laugh:) and 10am on Fri.

Is the Fall class schedule already out?

I actually know of a couple of people who commuted from Walnut Creek to SF for school and they didn't seem to mind too much. I was going to suggest a carpool, but I know how horrendous the commute is from Walnut Creek to anywhere, so you're definitely better off taking BART/MUNI.

If I remember correctly, there are shuttles that go from the 16th St. BART Station to UCSF (though I forget if it's to Mission Bay or Parnassus). Go to http://www.cas.ucsf.edu and look up Parking and Transportation.

Oh, and first thing you'll learn about the MUNI schedule--no one ever follows it. :laugh:

Last edited:
Is the Fall class schedule already out?

Hmmmm not sure about the Fall schedule but this is because my friend who is a first year told me her schedule :thumbup:

Hmmmm not sure about the Fall schedule but this is because my friend who is a first year told me her schedule :thumbup:

They actually have schedules from the past couple years online if you look at the Information for Current Students Site too. There's also websites for some of the classes there too!

Can anyone explain how public transportation (BART/MUNI) connects between the Mission Bay and UCSF at Parnassus?

How late is BART/MUNI running?

Bart runs ~ until midnight.

Muni depends on the particular line, some lines run all night, some have limited service depending on time.

You transfer downtown from Bart to muni at pretty much any downtown stop. You can then take 6 Parnassus bus that stops right by UCSF or you can transfer to N-Judah train and walk a couple blocks to UCSF.

Bart runs ~ until midnight.

Muni depends on the particular line, some lines run all night, some have limited service depending on time.

You transfer downtown from Bart to muni at pretty much any downtown stop. You can then take 6 Parnassus bus that stops right by UCSF or you can transfer to N-Judah train and walk a couple blocks to UCSF.

Also, to get to Parnassus from Mission Bay during the week, you have a number of options. I know that there are a few UCSF shuttles that run all day and up to I think midnight. There's also a shuttle that goes from Caltrain to Mission Bay as well, but I think that only runs during prime commute hours.

During the weekends, the easiest way to get between Mission Bay and Parnassus is to just take the T streetcar to AT&T Park, the baseball stadium, then transfer to the N-Judah.

MUNI's having meetings this week that could change how the schedule runs for the N-Judah as well, which would suck since they'll probably be cutting it in one way or another. :(

second try at reviving this topic...

socal meet anyone?? :)

Yes! We totally need one. But a lot of socal people are spread out..from LA, to OC, to SD. The most central location would be the OC (and I am not saying that because I am biased..lol). But in any case, I definitely think we should have a get together. :)

im okay with the OC! i am determined to make this work!
but where to go?

im from LA, rycetrix OC. anyone other socal?

edit: SDers. i am so down there for sungod, dont you even fret

Yes! We totally need one. But a lot of socal people are spread out..from LA, to OC, to SD. The most central location would be the OC (and I am not saying that because I am biased..lol). But in any case, I definitely think we should have a get together. :)

Last edited:
second try at reviving this topic...

socal meet anyone?? :)

Haha! I'm happy you revived the topic. I think I asked earlier but people probably thought I was a stalker asking that on my first post! :)

By the way, I'm in LA area. LA/OC is 2 to 1 ! I wouldn't mind going to the OC though.

im okay with the OC! i am determined to make this work!
but where to go?

im from LA, rycetrix OC. anyone other socal?

edit: SDers. i am so down there for sungod, dont you even fret

Maybe go to Yard House? There's one in the Brea promenade, Newport Beach and Irvine Spectrum (locations are pretty flexible since they have multiple restaurants/bars). I am just throwing out a suggestion...

Is there a facebook page set up for our class? Can someone post the link if there is?

Awe, you, guys, are too sweet and making me blush.:oops: I can't make it to this Saturday'x mixer due to insane exam schedule next week, but would love to hang out in May.

UCB, if you are still interested in learning how to rock climb together, I can send you a link to that beginner's rockclimbing class UCSF offers. I think it be quite thrilling to learn how to rock climb. :D

Hey! Sorry for my delayed response. Just finally getting back online. I am definitely down to go rockclimbing. Let's see if anyone else wants to suffer along with us :)

Hey everybody, just a quick question: did any of you receive any kind of confirmation from OSACA indicating that they received your statement of legal residence and/or transcripts. I saw that my $100 check was deposited but I was just wondering if I should expect anything else from them. Thanks!

Hey everybody, just a quick question: did any of you receive any kind of confirmation from OSACA indicating that they received your statement of legal residence and/or transcripts. I saw that my $100 check was deposited but I was just wondering if I should expect anything else from them. Thanks!

no confirmation of anything... i sent SLR and 3 transcripts. i called the office of registrar, they received my SLR.

i just got a package from UCSF in the mail today, it's just some welcoming materials... yup, still no online log-on grr... haha...

no confirmation of anything... i sent SLR and 3 transcripts. i called the office of registrar, they received my SLR.

i just got a package from UCSF in the mail today, it's just some welcoming materials... yup, still no online log-on grr... haha...

I haven't received that package yet! I doubt I'll really need it since I have been working there for almost 10 years, but part of me is kinda freaking out even though I have no reason to do so. :laugh:

yea no reason to freak out.. it was just a general acceptance and information thing. but today i got my student ID and UCSF email YAYYYY finally, what i've been waiting for!!! now i feel "official"... =)

yea no reason to freak out.. it was just a general acceptance and information thing. but today i got my student ID and UCSF email YAYYYY finally, what i've been waiting for!!! now i feel "official"... =)

I got mine too today. I'm kinda annoyed because they're making me use my work e-mail as my school e-mail too, so I want to see if they can give me another one since I wanna keep them separate.

I do miss my old e-mail when it was just my first name @ucsf.edu. It made me feel self-important. :laugh:

I got mine too today. I'm kinda annoyed because they're making me use my work e-mail as my school e-mail too, so I want to see if they can give me another one since I wanna keep them separate.

I do miss my old e-mail when it was just my first name @ucsf.edu. It made me feel self-important. :laugh:

yeah seriously! i wanted to be l33t... haha... darn. too bad we don't get to choose. oh well, i'll live!

I've finally gotten the welcome packet and the letter with you account information. Is anyone able to log in to their email yet? I cannot log in. Thought I'd checked since they said it was very important to check our email. LOL. That would be nice if I could get in. :rolleyes:

I've finally gotten the welcome packet and the letter with you account information. Is anyone able to log in to their email yet? I cannot log in. Thought I'd checked since they said it was very important to check our email. LOL. That would be nice if I could get in. :rolleyes:

I did. It's kinda tricky. Let me give a walkthrough.

1. Activate your account. Click Enroll

2. Change your password, if you like. There are requirements. Also, unlock your account. (Not like it's locked, but you might as well.)

3. Username: campus\[ID here], Password: [Your new ID if you did step 2 or your letter ID] Log-in

4. Optional. JIC, make sure you update your intent to register when accessing your Student Portal

Last edited:
I did. It's kinda tricky. Let me give a walkthrough.

1. Activate your account. Click Enroll

2. Change your password, if you like. There are requirements. Also, unlock your account. (Not like it's locked, but you might as well.)

3. Username: campus\[ID here], Password: [Your new ID if you did step 2 or your letter ID] Log-in

4. Optional. JIC, make sure you update your intent to register when accessing your Student Portal

Thanks Jaded. I'll give this a try. it wasn't as straight forward as I thought it would be. Good tip about the registering. I was not sure what to do with that.

i dont suppose anyone knows who to contact if I would like an email address change?

i dont suppose anyone knows who to contact if I would like an email address change?

http://oaais.ucsf.edu/students/student_email/policies.html

Email Addresses
The mail@ucsf program introduces a new naming convention to UCSF:

• [email protected]
  • There are many benefits to this standard:
    1. Convenience – people will know what your email address is without having to look it up
    2. Mobility – you can move from department to department and take your address with you
    3. Ease – no need to repeatedly notify people and systems if you change jobs
    4. Unity – a sense of belonging to the University as a whole, not just the department
    5. Focus on support – streamlined addresses maximize the ability to focus on important support issues

Note: There are two exceptions to this policy:
    1. If you are known by a different name than is listed in the campus directory – and all your colleagues, students, etc. refer to you by this common name (for instance, if your name is Margaret and everyone refers to you as Meg) - we will make your address [email protected] )
    2. If your department joined the mail@ucsf system before the change was made to this new naming convention, we will grandfather your previous email format; for instance [email protected])

This is the part I especially hate because I want to forward my mail:

Mail Forwarding

• The forwarding of mail through the mail@ucsf system to an outside email service is not offered for the following reasons:

1. Government regulations (HIPAA), heightened security concerns, as well as audit requirements, require the mail@ucsf system to meet the strictest security requirements. When mail is forwarded through the mail@ucsf system, these security measures are bypassed.
  2. When mail only passes through the mail@ucsf system and does not remain on the server, it is not possible to resolve support issues when they arise. Thus, it is not possible to meet UCSF service and business level requirements when mail is forwarded

Mail Forwarding

• The forwarding of mail through the mail@ucsf system to an outside email service is not offered for the following reasons:

1. Government regulations (HIPAA), heightened security concerns, as well as audit requirements, require the mail@ucsf system to meet the strictest security requirements. When mail is forwarded through the mail@ucsf system, these security measures are bypassed.
  2. When mail only passes through the mail@ucsf system and does not remain on the server, it is not possible to resolve support issues when they arise. Thus, it is not possible to meet UCSF service and business level requirements when mail is forwarded

For me, that's the main reason why I _don't_ want to use my work e-mail for my school e-mail since I do a lot of stuff with it that concerns HIPAA already.I 'm actually really irritated that I'd have to jump through all these hoops just to get a school-related account, when you'd think that HIPAA concerns would be top of their priorities (and since UCSF has had some HIPAA violations in the past).

(grumble)

question: on that long ass CSS financial aid profile, is everyone being charged for it?? i just remember during the interview sessions they were talking about never pay for financial aid applications or something, but that might have just been for FAFSA.

*the CSS code number to UCSF you all used is 7152 correct?

question: on that long ass CSS financial aid profile, is everyone being charged for it?? i just remember during the interview sessions they were talking about never pay for financial aid applications or something, but that might have just been for FAFSA.

*the CSS code number to UCSF you all used is 7152 correct?

yeah.. i was wondering that also. And how do you choose between basic and full funding? I guess i should call the office and find out huh?

yeah.. i was wondering that also. And how do you choose between basic and full funding? I guess i should call the office and find out huh?

as far as i know... if you don't turn in everything needed for full funding, you will only qualify for basic funding, i'm not sure it's an option, although i faintly recall checking a box somewhere now that i think about it...

all i did was file my FAFSA, i mailed in my UCSF finaid app with tax forms, and now i'm sitting and waiting for the SAR (student aid report) from FAFSA... which should come in june sometime i think?

gosh, i hope there's nothing more i need to do. also i signed my electronic MPN. even though it's a 2008 lender, but i'm sure it'll be ok........ well, yeah, i'm sitting waiting for my finaid package to tell me exactly what type of loans/grants i'll be getting, but please let me know if i left out any step!