UCSF secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. All the secondaries are getting overwhelming

I have a question. I received a letter from ucsf today. the letter wants me to send 60 dollars processing fee and one page application( personal info and education.etc)

I dont think that is secondary. They will send me more stuff after I sent them the fee amd personal info right?
I heard from my friends they require long secodaries with essay questions.

Members don't see this ad.

ALI,

You are correct. Once they receive the processing fee, they will review your application, and then send you a secondary if they feel you are a "qualified applicant". Good luck! :)

I just got the same letter also!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year UCSF's secondary was exactly that, one page to fill out and a check. No essays or anything, unless you claim disadvantaged status, or are applying to one of their joint programs (MD/PhD or MD/MS). So if you got the request for money, you made the cut-off. Congratulations.

hey paean,

I don't understand. Previously on this msg forum I heard of ppl who got supplementary app w/ like 12 essay questions. Are you sure that the one page is all they send you?

Yeah, from what I have heard on this forum, I thought it was a longer secondary as well.

Paean, did you apply to the UCSF medical school or dental? Although I would think the application process would be similar for the two.

After you send UCSF the 60 dollars with the one page application, they will then send you the secondary that has the 12 essay questions. I just barely sent mine in, and it was horrible!! IT took a long time to do!!! I definately think they are looking for disadvantaged people, by the essay questions asked. I don't think I have much of a chance.

yup, zippy is correct. I just send my one page in along with the $60 app fee and received the 12 questions application today. Is there a screening process for the secondaries??

NSXDent

I meant, a screening process to get the secondaries (with 12 questions)

There is a screening process before you receive the hellish 12 essay questions. If you are a california resident then you need about a 2.3 or 2.4 to pass the first screening process. Once they get your money and the essay questions then the screening process gets very strict and they really look for the pick of the letter. If you are out of state then you just start off with a harder initial screening process. This is what one of the admissions counselors told me when I called them last year.

how heavily do they weigh this secondary application when they review your application?

Are they gonna start interviewing in October?? I just received my secondaries in the mail yesterday... looks like it's gonna take me a long while to finish... :rolleyes:
Good Luck everyone!! Please post if you hear from them after sending in the secondaries.

~Qoo

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureNSXDent and Qoo-

How long did it take for the secondaries to arrive AFTER you sent in the one page and fee? I'm just wondering how long I have to wait to find out whether they are interested or not....

Agutier,

It took two days for me to receive the secondaries because I am just aross the Bay.

NSXDent

agutier,

i live in texas, so it took about a week. u'll be getting urs soon i believe!

~Qoo

Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your input.

What a coincidence.....UCSF finally sent me their very long supplementary app. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. :D

yay aguiter!! join the essay writing marathon.
i have a question for everyone who's working on this secondary, are you gonna write in ink on those paper provided?? do we have to? i'd rather work on the computer and print it out. fill me in please!

~Qoo

I used the computer to print it out.....

How long does the response for the questions have to be? Is there a word limit? How much are you guys writing?

juan7677-

The directions say to keep your responses concise. Remember that these poor people have to read all our essays. Just my opinion, but I would not go over the three pages that they provide you. I am so glad that I got that taken care of. It took me all weekend to finish!

Arby

good luck putting together the app's guys.

if you have any questions about ucsf feel free to ask me. i'll tell you the little that i already know.

Thanks Stanford Fencer! We appreciate it. Do you currently go to UCSF? Or are you also like us poor applicants drowning in the application process? :eek:

oh i'm a student here now.

i was in the application process last year (and i sincerely hope that NONE of you guys are following my footsteps)...

b/c i took the DAT's in early sept., then didn't send out the AADSAS application until mid Nov. (my # was approaching 5000)... and oh boy the secondary to UCSF...i spent a long vacation at vagas and europe, before sending it out in late Jan.

so yeah, i was kind of stressed since interviews came late for me around late feb/ early march....the only good that came out of a late interview is that you get to hear within a week or so after the interview!

i guess the take-home msg from my story

1. you should stress considerably less if you sent your stuff in early

2. it's never too late! :)

good luck folks.:clap:

Where is my UCSF secondaries? I have been waiting for a week.
What is going on??? I hope it is not another scenning process.
Should i call them and ask about my status?

ali: it'll probably get to you soon. they sent mine out on 9/19 and it just got to me today.