UCSF Specialty placement rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srheem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just saw a post for the UCLA specialty placement rates :

98 students from the Class of 2009:
1 Pros
2 Endo
5 OS
13 Ortho
9 Pedo
3 Perio

29 GPR

How is it for UCSF ? It's because I'm interested in Ortho and UCLA has 13 :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would say that if you are driven to become an orthodontist, you are going to have to put in a lot of extra time in your lab work and school work as well. Most people who go into ortho are very good scholars as well, so by doing well in all your studies is essential. I would say that UCLA has a lot of people wanting to go to Ortho because they are extremely competitive as students. Here at UCSF, its great to be a hard worker, but you might get looked down upon if you are selfish. All of my classmates are hard workers and we all want to help each other achieve our goals. I think last year there were a few going into Ortho from our school, but I would honestly say, don't think about specializing until you have gone through and researched all the specialties before making your decision. One of my friends wants to do OMFS, but his lab work is so great that the profs say he should be prosth, so he's now exploring a second option. Hope that helps.