UCSF update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those interested in UCSF:

UCSF has yet to accept anyone at this time.

This Thursday(Dec 8th) will be the last interview group before the AdComm's meet for the first time this year. They will meet and decide the first wave of acceptances either Thursday, right after the interview, or on Friday. If you are accepted, you can expect to be contacted shortly thereafter.

Just a heads up.

BTW, this is straight from Ana Garay-Kong from UCSF.

Good luck all!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey thanks for the info. I was getting a bit worried and was just about to call. Like PDizzle said, the best of luck to eveyrone.

PDizzle said:

This Thursday(Dec 8th) will be the last interview group before the AdComm's meet for the first time this year. They will meet and decide the first wave of acceptances either Thursday, right after the interview, or on Friday. If you are accepted, you can expect to be contacted shortly thereafter.

Just a heads up.

Good luck all!!

That means DAT student must be going somewhere else....

Harvard?

(Not to get this thread off track.)

Members don't see this ad :)
PDizzle said:

Just a heads up.

Good luck all!!

thanks bro for keeping us updated! greatly appreciated...

Thanks for the info! Good luck!

Why do you care so much about dat_sudent? poor dat_student. dat_student is going to hell. come onnnnnnnnn. I withdrew from all dental schools. I am going to be a cook now. Today, I enrolled in a culinary class. Mr McShow2 plzzzz. You are killing me.

mcshow2 said:
That means DAT student must be going somewhere else....

Harvard?

(Not to get this thread off track.)

dat_student, u're under the microscope, whether u like it or not. lol

it's probably b/c u keep everyone in a shroud of mystery.

food4thots said:
dat_student, u're under the microscope, whether u like it or not. lol

it's probably b/c u keep everyone in a shroud of mystery.

I guess I can't keep a low profile even as a culinary student. Someone types "dat_student" in a thread and in a few hrs the thread has 4000-10,000+ hits. dat_student is decommissioned. I've given up dentistry. peace. As of now I am a culinary_student. Actually, all dental schools (including my #1 choice) rejected me on Dec 1st @12:01 am. You won't find me in any dental school. no more curiosity. plzzzzz. Thanks for your understanding. :mad:

You know what? I bet you could actually sell your dat_student account on e-bay or something for quite a heafty sum. You are famous!

dat_student said:
Someone types "dat_student" in a thread and in a few hrs the thread has 4000-10,000+ hits.

Somehow I think you actually like the attention.

I don't have anything against you at all and think you earned your interviews and acceptances. You also seem to really help people.

Any thread with more than 20 posts has some degree of smack talking and it just seems that dat_student is in the middle of it more times then not. Be proud of it bro!!

Peace! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PDizzle said:
Somehow I think you actually like the attention.

God, I don't want any attention. I just sold my ID. I have an incurable disease and I'll drop dead tomorrow. no more attention. no more curiosity. no more guesses. nothing. plz. let it go. I am very serious. This thing is driving me nuts.

May this thread and any thread that has "dat_student" in it come to a closure.

AMEN.

moderators this thread needs to be closed.

dat_student said:
God, I don't want any attention. I just sold my ID. I have an incurable disease and I'll drop dead tomorrow. no more attention. no more curiosity. no more guesses. nothing. plz. let it go. I am very serious. This thing is driving me nuts.

AMEN.

I kind of miss her now that she is gone . . .

dat_student said:

AMEN.

And the oscar for the best chat room drama goes to.......dat_student! :clap:

dat_student is like that kid in elementary school that you always loved to pick on only because you could always get a reaction. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw two SDNers got acceptance from UCSF.

Any other news??

Anyone know if UCSF contact accepted candidates only via telephone? Or do they notify by mail as well?

Thanx

I don't know if they also notify by mail first but I was contacted by Dr. Alexander last week by phone of my acceptance. You have impressive stats so you shouldn't worry that much...relax and take care,,,good luck

teethextraction said:
I don't know if they also notify by mail first but I was contacted by Dr. Alexander last week by phone of my acceptance. You have impressive stats so you shouldn't worry that much...relax and take care,,,good luck
Hi, teethextraction

Congrat!! your acceptance. :thumbup:

Are you a CA resident?

For those of you who have been offered an interview from UCSF, how long did it take for them to review your application once it was "complete"???

According to my webtools, my application was completed on Nov. 17th (although I think it should have been a little sooner). It also says that it could take from a couple of weeks to several months to review a complete application. Do you think I should expect to hear about an interview soon??? (or are they even offering many more interviews???)

I've sent transcripts to UCSF twice and they still have not received any. The second time I sent them FEDEX, tracked them and found that they were signed for yet noone in the office has any record of receiving them. Anyone else have problems like this? Grrr!

Hey porsche7 thanks for the congrats, I'm a non-resident applicant.

rottentooth, I had a similar problem for a different school and found out that I was sending it to the wrong building even though it was located on the same campus. You might want to call the school and confirm the address before sending it again.

teethextraction said:

rottentooth, I had a similar problem for a different school and found out that I was sending it to the wrong building even though it was located on the same campus. You might want to call the school and confirm the address before sending it again.

I am a non-resident applicant too.

If you don't mind could you tell me your GPA and DAT score?

I just wonder my chance. :confused:
I had interview on Nov 10. I just called UCSF yesterday, but they said just waiting...

Thank you.

rottentooth said:
I've sent transcripts to UCSF twice and they still have not received any. The second time I sent them FEDEX, tracked them and found that they were signed for yet noone in the office has any record of receiving them. Anyone else have problems like this? Grrr!

Join the club - My file is now finally complete, after a month and a half of fussing over my "lost" transcripts. Try to get a hold of someone via e-mail or leave a voicemail message - they will eventually get back to you. Good luck.

Well, I'm with you all on the "wait game". My interview went fantastic so I still have hope but I just can't stand not knowing.

It's driving me crazy!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck all and hope to see all of you in the Fall

PDizzle said:
It's driving me crazy!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man I completely understand how you feel b/c I'm still waiting so far...
My interview (10/27, 2nd interview date offered) went smoothly as well, and I don't feel I did any worse than at any of those schools that accepted me...
But as the days go by my hope of getting in is just diminishing little by little... :(
Best of luck to you all!

teethextraction said:

Actually, I did manage to confirm the address with the admissions admin before sending it. Also, I have been emailing and calling for two weeks now. I have learned that I have to wait 24 hours to get a response. UCSF admissions admins may as well be ghosts! Not impressed with the lack of communication with the UC schools in general though. This "no admissions counseling" policy is one thing, but no mail correspondence to let you know your application status and no person on the other end of the phone to answer for the department just a voicemail? Oh and of course I know AADSAAS has a status update bar, but have you all really been that confident in the AADSAAS system? I have confirmed with schools that my app is complete, or that I have an interview or that my app is under review several days before the status bar at AADSAAS updates itself. In sum, I really have been relying on schools to let me know about things not AADSAAS! The UC system however sounds like it is lacking funding which leads to a decrease in staff members which leads to problems like many of us have been complaining about - a slow response and little communication. I guess we can all thank Gov "it might be a tumor" here in sweet Cali - have you all noticed the outstanding increase in tuition in the past three years in this state in California? It almost doubled and the students in this state are pissed and with good reason...okay I am done complaining but I do see some problems here! I am not meaning to burst anyone's bubble but I have not been impressed so far...

rottentooth said:
Actually, I did manage to confirm the address with the admissions admin before sending it. Also, I have been emailing and calling for two weeks now. I have learned that I have to wait 24 hours to get a response. UCSF admissions admins may as well be ghosts! Not impressed with the lack of communication with the UC schools in general though. This "no admissions counseling" policy is one thing, but no mail correspondence to let you know your application status and no person on the other end of the phone to answer for the department just a voicemail? Oh and of course I know AADSAAS has a status update bar, but have you all really been that confident in the AADSAAS system? I have confirmed with schools that my app is complete, or that I have an interview or that my app is under review several days before the status bar at AADSAAS updates itself. In sum, I really have been relying on schools to let me know about things not AADSAAS! The UC system however sounds like it is lacking funding which leads to a decrease in staff members which leads to problems like many of us have been complaining about - a slow response and little communication. I guess we can all thank Gov "it might be a tumor" here in sweet Cali - have you all noticed the outstanding increase in tuition in the past three years in this state in California? It almost doubled and the students in this state are pissed and with good reason...okay I am done complaining but I do see some problems here! I am not meaning to burst anyone's bubble but I have not been impressed so far...

LoL i feel you man I go to UC Berkeley and the tuition increase is just getting outta hand! Also I visited UCSF back in 2003 and comparing to the tuition listed during the interview I was so shocked that it went up by almost 20K...
And I also am pissed w/ the lack of communication from the UCs...UCLA didn't even list a phone number ANYWHERE on their website nor on AADSAS...and it takes them about 3-4 business days to reply a simple email...I had some questions about my secondaries for UCLA so i emailed one of the adm ppl but they didn't reply for 2 days and they wanted me to send the app in within 10 days so I just went ahead and assumed that everything I put down is correct and sent it in...then on the day I mail it i got the email reply answering my questions...to the app that I JUST SENT...ridiculous (luckily my all my assumptions were correct so this hopefully won't mess me up)...
If these CA schools don't have great programs and I'm not a CA resident, I wouldn't be putting up w/ all this crap seriously...

Hey guys,
I managed to talk to Ana Garay-Kong today and she told me that UCSF admissions committee has called 28 people on 12/8 and 12/9 for the first wave of admissions, and the committee will meet again in Jan to decide the next wave of acceptances. So for those of you still waiting, there's still hope!

jshen118 said:
Hey guys,
I managed to talk to Ana Garay-Kong today and she told me that UCSF admissions committee has called 28 people on 12/8 and 12/9 for the first wave of admissions, and the committee will meet again in Jan to decide the next wave of acceptances. So for those of you still waiting, there's still hope!

Awesome, thanks for the update. I wanted to call but didn't want to pester them.

:)

jshen118 said:
Hey guys,

wow, cool. thanks for your help!

I kept pestering them (okay, e-mailed three times within 3 months) and my file is now complete. As far as their customer service, it's either (1) they're understaffed, or (2) they just don't care b/c they know that highly qualified CA applicants that have been accepted to Penn, Columbia, etc. will turn those schools down to go to a UC, simply b/c of costs....sad but true.

jshen118 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info.!

I applied late and expect my application to become complete the first week of January. Assuming that UCSF decides to interview me, would the interview be for one of the alternate slots or for one of the remaining "first wave" seats? (Any thoughts on my chances at this late stage of the game? DAT 22/22/19; GPA 3.6; Cal resident.)

Does this also mean that everyone who completed their applications before the first wave of calls will get acceptances only if there are no better qualified applications in the second and/or later waves?

Thanks!

sunnymeliss said:
I kept pestering them (okay, e-mailed three times within 3 months) and my file is now complete. As far as their customer service, it's either (1) they're understaffed, or (2) they just don't care b/c they know that highly qualified CA applicants that have been accepted to Penn, Columbia, etc. will turn those schools down to go to a UC, simply b/c of costs....sad but true.
UCSF is totally understaffed. Carmen is the only person handling the applications and there are around 2000 applicants for this year, about a 10% increase from last year.

So excited. i just got an interview invitation from UCSF.