UCSF vs Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivepuffin

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am really grateful to hold acceptances to both UCSF and Stanford, but soon I will need to choose one. I would really appreciate your feedback, tips, and insight! I am interested in the field of sports medicine, either through Ortho or IM

UCSF:

Pros
  • Curriculum: I really like the bridges curriculum, it feels like a good fit for my learning style (although most med students I have talked at different schools have said not to think too much about the curriculum). Most importantly, the shorter pre-clinical phase is a big pro for me because it will give me more time in the clinical setting to explore different fields and find the right fit for me
  • Clinical training: Great clinical training and diverse patient populations! this seems even more important now: with Step 1 going P/F, Step 2 will most likely be more emphasized
  • Support: a close friend of mine will be an MS3 at UCSF this coming year, so I'll have someone to reach out to for help in navigating med school. Another friend of mine is likely to choose UCSF so I would have support from a classmate too!
  • The people: the med students I met during my interview were all super humble and down to earth! this is important to me because I'm not a Type A/abrasive person

Cons
  • Campus: the lack of a typical college campus is kind of a con. I love soccer and would like to be able to have access to an intramural field to play every now and then
  • Weather: I really dislike the fog. This may seem silly but being in a sunny environment is uplifting for me
  • Cost: while I don't have financial aid offers yet, I have talked to students from both schools who have similar financial backgrounds as me and I believe UCSF will end up being about 100K more expensive over the 4 years

Stanford

Pros
  • Student well-being: my current PI was a faculty at Stanford and he told me the student well being at Stanford is unparalleled due to smaller class size + more resources + more work/life balance oriented culture
  • Research: Stanford seems to really value research, and their curriculum seems to be designed to work around allowing students to do research rather than the other way around. this is important to me because ultimately I'd like to be involved in sports medicine in the academic setting
  • Athletics: Stanford has one of the best athletic programs in the nation, which could make it easier for me to experience working professionally with athletes (I have identified a couple of faculty, from both IM and Ortho backgrounds, who are team physicians for Stanford athletics and are involved in academic medicine. my dream career right there.)
  • Location: even though it's only a short distance between Palo Alto and SF, I really prefer the Palo Alto weather (more sun / less fog). while some people list Palo Alto as a con, I actually don't mind it at all. In fact, SF felt a little bit too overwhelming / crowded for me.
  • The opportunity to pursue an MD/MBA: I've always been interested in business and management, and having the opportunity to earn an MBA from a top school at a discounted price seems like a great opportunity and could open doors later on in my career if I wanted to pivot
  • Early-start program: Stanford has a program that could allow me to get started in June, focused mainly on gaining research and leadership experience regarding health disparities. Seems convergent with my career interests as I am passionate about sports-related brain injuries and the fact it is mostly young people of color who are involved in sports like football without being informed enough about its downsides. The program also includes an introductory histology course, and would give me time to settle into a new environment before med school madness begins
  • Cost: as stated above, Stanford might be more affordable than UCSF due to their generous need-based financial aid + subsidized housing

Cons
  • Clinical training: I am not really sure about this, but i have read from other people that Stanford's clinical training might not be the best, perhaps due to its over-emphasis on research. Also, Stanford students seem to have a relatively lower step 2 score (compared to UCSF). I would love feedback on this!
  • Tech-oriented culture: I am a tech grandpa. I don't know if I would be a misfit. Alternatively, maybe not everyone at Stanford is tech-oriented? would love feedback on this too!
  • The people: this is more of an unknown rather than a con. I didn't get to meet many Stanford students so I'm not sure what the culture is like among students. I am first-gen, I come from a low-income family and I've always been a public school kid, so I don't know if I would relate that much to Stanford students. Alternatively, this might just a misconception? Second look weekend will hopefully clear this up

Summary: UCSF seems like a more comfortable choice, but Stanford feels more exciting / could lead to more personal growth

Update: I have received both financial aid offers and cost will be the same

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Stanford is 100k cheaper and you have basically no cons - it seems that would be your best bet! Congrats on two excellent options :)

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with the above, pick the cheapest option for you (of course wait until official offers to make a final decision). Interviewed at both and I honestly loved both equally (although for different reasons). Congrats on the success!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford for the reasons you and others mentioned above. I would advise not worrying too much about the clinical training. Any differences between Stanford and its peer institutions are irrelevant for medical student education. Residency and fellowship are where trainees learn to become doctors. Medical school is there to get the foundation started, and to essentially act as a glorified career fair. Just my thoughts, and congratulations on your choices.

Reactions: 6 users
Update: I received my financial aid offers from both schools and cost will be the same, so that is no longer a factor.

Is this factoring in COL? And will you need to have 1000+ roommates to live cost effectively in SF? If that is the case, try and think about whether this will hinder your performance.

Last edited:
Is this factoring in COL? And will you need to have 1000+ roommates to live cost effectively in SF? If that is the case, try and think about whether this will hinder your performance.
Both schools covered the tuition and gave me the same amount of money for living expenses. Am I wrong in assuming COL is about the same for SF and Palo Alto?

Both schools covered the tuition and gave me the same amount of money for living expenses. Am I wrong in assuming COL is about the same for SF and Palo Alto?
You’re probably right Palo Alto ain’t cheap by any stretch. I would say go to Stanford if you want the MBA, go to UCSF if you don’t.

Depends on the cost of the subsidized housing provided for both programs and if you can get into it. With all else considered, both are great programs and you can't go wrong with your choice.

Based on your update making clear that the cost is equal, I would go to the school that is the best fit. They are both excellent schools that will serve you well and their is no material difference in prestige, so I would go where your heart leads you.