poofy83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Hi -

I was wondering if anyone had any opinion about UCSF and/or Tufts. I am currently debating between the two. I am from the Bay Area and currently attend UCLA...thanks!

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
poofy83 said:
Hi -

I was wondering if anyone had any opinion about UCSF and/or Tufts. I am currently debating between the two. I am from the Bay Area and currently attend UCLA...thanks!
Hey Poof, try reading the interview feedback for both school. It'll give you somewhat a picture of how people feel about each school. I know UCSF is a top notch school but, from what I've gathered (friends, current ucsf dental student, older brother, interview feedback on SDN), not a lot of students like it there. Don't get me wrong, I think UCSF is great.. but it comes with a price. I hope I didn't offend anyone. :laugh:

bananadds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
poofy83 said:
Hi -

Of course UCSF :D Save money, nice weather ... ... :laugh:

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Visit site
Status
tufts is currently 4th in the nation for board scores, not that that means anything :rolleyes:

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Bickle said:
tufts is currently 4th in the nation for board scores, not that that means anything :rolleyes:
Do you happen to know which school is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th?

ncalcate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Hartford, CT
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Rezdawg said:
Save your money. Go to UCSF.
I'll second that. Living expenses in Boston and SF are just about equal, but Tufts tuition is a lot more. After four years at Tufts, you'll probably owe at least $100K more than you would owe at UCSF. Plus you're from the Bay area, so that's another plus for UCSF. Just stay in California. No need to come 3000 miles to a school that is so much more expensive.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
If yoo're planning on practicing in California, I would say stay in California. Cal schools know the Cal. boards a lot better and teach towards them (as all schools willteach towards they're regional/state board).

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ive heard boston is an awesome town with like 3 colleges right next to eachother you can have the time of ur life.....i had the opportunity to interview at boston and i didnt go....

im kinda thinking that i should have now :( its a hard choice, i know....you cant go wrong with east coast schools.

Good luck with your choice, let me know what u choose!

datguy2004

Hi ya doin?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status
i love the east coast....id say go to tufts.....if uve been on the west coast all ur life...u should at least spend a few years or ur life on the east coast.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
nothen2do said:
If yoo're planning on practicing in California, I would say stay in California. Cal schools know the Cal. boards a lot better and teach towards them (as all schools willteach towards they're regional/state board).
Yea stay in California. You can make connections

Samantina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
CT
Status
hi Poofey,

I'm having the exact same trouble, San Fran or Boston, but I'm from Conn so my family is pushing Tufts, the thing is I think I want to go to a new city, not sure????? Are people really unhappy at UCSF?

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Samantina said:
hi Poofey,

I'm having the exact same trouble, San Fran or Boston, but I'm from Conn so my family is pushing Tufts, the thing is I think I want to go to a new city, not sure????? Are people really unhappy at UCSF?

look at previous threads. That seems to be the consenus. It seems like everyone is saying people at ucsf are unhappy. But i think its still a good school. by the way when did you interview? when did you hear from them?

hootanfellows

15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Samantina said:
hi Poofey,

I have been to UCSF on three separate occasions in last two years to visit friends and to interview. Everytime I visit the school, i like it much more. I have not yet been accepted but i wold go there in a heartbeat. The atmosphere is awesome and you will be surrounding yourself with a world renowned faculty. I have never noticed the unhappiness of the students. You have to realize though, anywhere you go you will have pessimistic and unhappy people. It is up to you to make your experience an enjoyable one. I cant say much for Tufts because I have never been there. However, from dentists who I have talked to in California, they say you cannot go wrong with UCSF.

excite4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Status
Samantina said:
hi Poofey,

I think that is just a rumor that has been going around SDN. I have met at least twenty people either going to UCSF or who have graduated from UCSF and every single one of them LOVE it!!! Sure it is hard work, but now that the curriculum has changed I think everyone likes it even more. Don't base your desicion solely on this rumor because UCSF is a great school.

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
I am sure some students are unhappy at UCSF but that is the same at all schools. I have PM'd many users that go there and they all have positive things to say about the school. I have also heard excellent things about Tufts. I would say go with your gut feeling. Its a win win situation.

OP
P

poofy83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
DREDAY said:
look at previous threads. That seems to be the consenus. It seems like everyone is saying people at ucsf are unhappy. But i think its still a good school. by the way when did you interview? when did you hear from them?

I interviewed on January 7th and I just heard back from them on Friday, March 4th...they took a while!

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would agree with some of the posts on here.....You cant go wrong with either school and you'll get a great education at both places.....

Its my opinion (between these schools) if you dont want to specialize then go to Tufts, if you def want to specialize then go to UCSF.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Visit site
Status
jonnytight said:
Its my opinion (between these schools) if you dont want to specialize then go to Tufts, if you def want to specialize then go to UCSF.

If you want to specialize dont you think going to a school that is high on board scores would be the way to go???? Also, lots of research opportunities are available here as well....specializing is a very possible option for a tufts graduate.

I dont know what the number 1,2,or 3rd ranked schools are, but i do know that tufts is 4th out of 56 or so dental schools in the US for national board scores.

busdriver

what do i know?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
San Francisco
Visit site
Status
as a D1 at ucsf, i just wanna say that i love it here. i'm sure there are some people that don't like it here as much but for the most part, all the people i know seem to enjoy it. hopefully this dispels the rumor a little. oh yeah, i think if you really want to specialize you should go to ucla...not ucsf. that's just my opinion though...

nnjh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bickle said:
If you want to specialize dont you think going to a school that is high on board scores would be the way to go???? Also, lots of research opportunities are available here as well....specializing is a very possible option for a tufts graduate.

I dont know what the number 1,2,or 3rd ranked schools are, but i do know that tufts is 4th out of 56 or so dental schools in the US for national board scores.

Could you post stats to back up your statement also indicate whether its board I or II cuz I can think of at least 5 schools that must have higher board scores. Harvard / Conn / UCLA/SF / Columbia / Penn could name a few more actually but I'll stop there.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Visit site
Status
nnjh said:
Could you post stats to back up your statement also indicate whether its board I or II cuz I can think of at least 5 schools that must have higher board scores. Harvard / Conn / UCLA/SF / Columbia / Penn could name a few more actually but I'll stop there.

Here is the email that Mark Gonthier sent out a few months ago. Enjoy. Also note our anatomical sciences rank. We're pretty much tied for the best in the country in that category. I'm not trying to sound pompous, I'm just giving some facts about my school. I'm sure UCSF is a great institution as well.

TO: All School of Dental Medicine students, faculty and staff

Congratulations are in order to the students in the class of D2006.
After some delays in reporting from the American Dental Association, we
recently learned that the predoctoral students that sat for the National
Board Part I examination in the twelve month testing period November 1,
2003 to October 31, 2004 placed 4th in the country on the National
Board.

The primary test takers were students enrolled in the Class of 2006. The
scores by section and failure rate and relative ranking are provided below.

Anatomical Sciences Tufts average score: 89.7
# 1 school in country average score: 89.8
National average score: 82.7
Tufts ranked 2nd of 56 schools in U.S.
Top quintile for performance

Biochemistry/Physiology
Tufts average score: 87.8
# 1 school in country average score: 94.1
National average score: 85.7
Tufts ranked 10th of 56 schools in U.S.

Microbiology/Pathology Tufts average score: 87.9
# 1 school in country average score: 94.3
National average score: 85.1
Tufts ranked 6th of 56 schools in U.S.

Dental Anatomy Tufts average score: 90.7
# 1 school in country average score: 94.5
National average score: 86.5
Tufts ranked 5th of 56 schools in U.S.

Overall average Tufts: 89.12
# 1 school in country: 93.23
National average score: 85.12
Tufts ranked 4th of 56 schools in U.S.

Failure rate Tufts: 3.9% of testing candidates failed a
section of the NB1 exam
# 1 school in country: 0% failures
National average failure rate: 11.0%
Tufts ranked 12th of 56 schools in U.S.
2nd quintile for performance

Thank you to the basic science and dental science faculty --
particularly Drs. Gustafson, Silvestri, Leavis, Kwan, Jacobson, Rufo,
Vankevich, Kahn, Goode and others -- who made this performance possible.
Dean Arbree should also be recognized for the innovative and timely
methods used to incorporate the newly revised computerized testing
option into the existing and densely scheduled second year curriculum,
as well as for the continuing curriculum revision that has made the
schedule more efficient, logically structured and integrated across
disciplines.

Congratulations again to students in the Class of D06 who reflect
positively on the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine and all
that our school and curriculum has to offer. Regards, Mark