UCSF vs UCLA with free housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agscribe

Padawan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
The ADCOM gods have been good to me and I was accepted at both UCLA and UCSF. It is a tough decision for me because while UCSF had me in a little more awe, if I go to UCLA I have a free place to live. Most of my family also lives in the LA area. What do all think?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,
The ADCOM gods have been good to me and I was accepted at both UCLA and UCSF. It is a tough decision for me because while UCSF had me in a little more awe, if I go to UCLA I have a free place to live. Most of my family also lives in the LA area. What do all think?:confused:

It's a tough choice. Usually living expenses amount to a considerable amount (I think ~15/year is a reasonable budget), so that would make ~60K over 4 years. I also know California is a bit pricier than many other places.

If you have a place to live in LA free of cost I assume that would also mean free meals, a free place to do your laundry, and free cable tv and internet, for example. Not to mention you would save in communting expenses during holidays and breaks.

If you don't mind living at home, I think it's a matter of whether or not you want to spend the extra money to go to USCF.

It's a tough choice. Usually living expenses amount to a considerable amount (I think ~15/year is a reasonable budget), so that would make ~60K over 4 years. I also know California is a bit pricier than many other places.

If you have a place to live in LA free of cost I assume that would also mean free meals, a free place to do your laundry, and free cable tv and internet, for example. Not to mention you would save in communting expenses during holidays and breaks.

If you don't mind living at home, I think it's a matter of whether or not you want to spend the extra money to go to USCF.

Yup. And also what about all the free labor that goes into cooking those meals and washing that laundry-- think how much time that could save your! Not to mention general housing management: someone to track and pay your utilities, sort out your mail, maybe even loan you a car for a few days if yours breaks down.

Not gonna lie- living with relatives is not the "coolest" move in the world. But for med school purposes, it sounds like a pretty awesome deal. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not living at home. My Great Aunt owns an apartment complex that is four and a half miles from the campus. She said that if I wanted she would let me live in one of the smaller apartments for free. I would still be paying regular bills, just not the $1000+ for rent. :thumbup:

i think you should look into the programs. free housing is great, but if you think you like ucsf better, you'll regret it. however, if you think ucla is better, then you'll be even happier about the free housing. don't make it the deciding factor, just make it the icing in the cake. :)

ucsf!

there are worse things than spending money on rent..
you'd save in other aspects since SF has better public transportation while in LA you'd probably need a car
and it's san francisco!!

do eeet. LA is where the beautiful people are. SF is for uggos.

It's not living at home. My Great Aunt owns an apartment complex that is four and a half miles from the campus. She said that if I wanted she would let me live in one of the smaller apartments for free. I would still be paying regular bills, just not the $1000+ for rent

Mmmm...in that case it's more tricky. What is to say your Aunt won't change her mind and ask you to pay rent later on? Stuff happens.

Also, I understand that UCSF is a top 10 school (or am I wrong?). In that case, if you do like UCSF over UCLA then go to the one you want to go, or you will regret it later. If the only factor stopping you is the free housing (which it sounds like it is), it's not a wise move to choose one just because of that reason when you like the other one better.

I also like SF better as a city. Much nicer, IMHO.

I think you have to ask yourself where you want to be since norcal and socal have very different vibes too. UCSF is having a second look weekend which you could attend and then make a decision.

UCSF is top 10 primary care & research according to US News. But don't use rankings as the sole basis for a decision.

AG, go to SF, so that the scribes can take over the school. : ). Congrats again bud. Best of luck with your choice.

I think you have to ask yourself where you want to be since norcal and socal have very different vibes too. UCSF is having a second look weekend which you could attend and then make a decision.

UCSF is top 10 primary care & research according to US News. But don't use rankings as the sole basis for a decision.

i second that. ru a norcal person or a socal. Im from the bay area and im currently a freshmen in UCR. I found out socal is not the place for me, therefore im transferring to a school in norcal asap.

Other than that, the most important thing is what you really want. Put the money matter aside and think about where you really want to go. Where you go to school will really affect the way you perform. In my opinion, money shouldn't be an issue on which college you go to when it comes to grad school. (Undergrad is totally different) Unless of course, you come from an extremely low income family. But if you are average or above, i think loans should do it and you can slowly pay it off after you graduate. (shouldnt be hard once you start making big bucks) UCSF and UCLA are more great med schools, you are pretty much guaranteed a residency upon graduation.

Also, congrats! I hope i can be in your spot 3 years from now, with 2 great med schools to choose from. UCSF has been my dream school since high school Any advice for me on how to get in? :cool:

UCLA is nationally renowed with some world clout, UCSF IS top of the world!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm a bay area native, went to UC Berkeley undergrad, UCLA for grad and am currently living in LA. I must say, i would hands down attend UCSF if I was accepted there for med school. Clean city, beautiful campus, amazing place to be.

still, ucla is opening their new medical center and westwood is beautiful, but venturing out of westwood and onto the 405 may cause u to pull your hair out at times.

Go to UCSF, u will breathe easier, and meet much friendlier people without sticks up there ass:)

I went to Berkeley for undergrad and love SF (as a city) to death, but it's certainly not clean. In general, it's pretty gray and run down-- but most of New York is like this as well. *shrug*

At any rate... I'd say if you want match in california, there's not really much a difference between UCSF and UCLA. However, nationwide UCSF's name will carry far more weight. It depends on where you want to end up, me thinks.

This is so true.
LA=beauties
SF=Fuglies

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

is it sad that I 100% agree????

I'm originally from NorCal, went to SoCal for college, now residing in NorCal, but headed back to SoCal for medschool - All I can say is that NorCal is definitely not nearly as cute as SoCal (and I find myself influenced by where I live - in college, I'd get dolled up every day; now, I practially just flop out of bed, throw on some clothes, and drive off into the fog/dreariness to go to work.....)..... While I love NorCal, I'm looking forward to heading back to SoCal for a while (not necessarily permanently) - at least there I'll get some sunshine & warmth!!! Ok, rambling randomly now....

To the OP - both schools are AWESOME! Congrats on a job well done!! I applied to both figuring that chances were I wouldn't get into both (or either) & that fate would decide for me. I always joked that I would love to be burdened to have to choose between the two & honest answer is that I don't know what I would have chosen. Both places are simultaneously similar and worlds apart. Think about what you want out of med school. Both names are strong (though I'd bet UCSF is stronger), but where will you be happier & more likely to thrive?

do eeet. LA is where the beautiful people are. SF is for uggos.

He's right you know.

In fact, although UCSF has a better reputation in the medical community, UCLA has a better reputation in the social community.

If you say you are from UCSF, all the girls (guys?) will give you 1 point off. From UCLA? +1 bonus.

It's all psychological... just like US News rankings, you gotta keep this stuff in mind.

How important is having family nearby in your decision? If most of your family is in LA, then you can stay close to them while attending UCLA. It would be a good support group- if you needed it.

Why did you change your name man?
Either way UCSF is the what you want.

Why did you change your name man?
Either way UCSF is the what you want.

I didn't change my name, if you are talking about cgscribe, he is my friend, we work at the same place and he got into ucsf too. :p

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, UCLA offered me a scholarship. Thanks for everyone's input. I am really having a hard time deciding. What I really need to find out is how different the curriculum is for the undergraduate medical program. If I really see a big discrepancy one way or the other, that will make a difference.

I didn't change my name, if you are talking about cgscribe, he is my friend, we work at the same place and he got into ucsf too. :p

Seriously, what is up with you scribes at Fresno and UCSF? Clearly I'm in the wrong line of work ;)

Anyway, on to your question. It seems like you want to go to UCSF. Otherwise, it would be no question, just a great deal to go to your top choice school with free housing and a scholarship.

So, assuming this is the case, it then comes down to how much of a financial disadvantage you're willing to incur to go to your top choice over a very good second choice. If I were you, I'd look at the savings over all of med school, think about what kind of medicine you see yourself practicing and how much your goals will be impacted by debt, and then make a choice.

You have 2 awesome options...good luck choosing!

If you love it, go to UCSF. Four really really good restaurants within walking distance. Otherwise, go to UCLA, eat at Tengu, and die of food poisoning while paying 50% more.

If you love it, go to UCSF. Four really really good restaurants within walking distance. Otherwise, go to UCLA, eat at Tengu, and die of food poisoning while paying 50% more.

:laugh: LOL :laugh:

Well, I like UCSF and I like UCLA too. I can't really say which one I liked more, but I am definitely a socal person for what that is worth. I know the rankings and I have done a fair amount of studying about the posted curriculum styles, but my only hangup is whether or not there is any real difference between the way that the two run the first four years. What is it that gives UCSF the ranking. Why are they 4th and 11th respectively. Is there something that makes the UCSF graduates more capable in general? Or does it have more to do with the graduate medical school programs that they have to offer? If the way that the undergrad medical schools are run is similar in both schools, then it would be a clear choice for me, I would go to UCLA cause of family and money. However, if there is something at UCSF that I would be giving up by going to LA, that is what I want to know and I don't know how to look for that information. The schools don't release USMLE scores or anything like that, so I feel like there is an information gap there. As far as what specialty I am interested in, I feel like a kid at a candy store. Everything I see seems interesting, so I can't decide based on anything like that. I want to know what does UCSF have to offer med students that UCLA doesn't. Can anyone help me with that one?:confused:

Congrats on your acceptances to both places! Honestly, I think you should go to UCLA. First, I think there is little difference in terms of reputation between UCLA and UCSF. They are both fantastic schools. Okay, one is ranked 4 and the other one is ranked 11. So what? I mean does this ranking really matter down the line? Honestly, some people don't even know what UCSF is! UCSF is very well known in the medical community. However, UCLA is well known in other disciplines too other than medicine. UCLA is better known to the general public. SO... some average joe might know about UCLA, but would probably not know anything about UCSF... In terms of housing, last time I checked housing in San Fran is quite expensive, so you might want to factor that in when you make your decision. Thirdly, do you want to be in debt when you come out of medical school or not. The scholarship will be very helpful down the line. I am pretty sure you don't want to pay off that debt when you are doing your residency and during your future practice....However, if you are very rich and don't care about spending extra money, then this is not a major issue. If you are hoping to save some doe, this is right way to start. Bottom line, UCSF and UCLA are both fantastic schools, and dream schools for many many people. You can't go wrong with either one of these choices. However, based on what you have presented in this post, I feel that you will receive more benefits by going to UCLA.

I can't really say which one I liked more, but I am definitely a socal person for what that is worth.
The two schools are closely enough ranked that the fact that you're offered a scholarship and prefer socal should sway you to UCLA.

I grew up in southern california and live in northern california. Very rarely do people like both equally. And folks who love LA tend to not like SF and folks who love SF tend to not like LA.

Well, I like UCSF and I like UCLA too. I can't really say which one I liked more, but I am definitely a socal person for what that is worth. I know the rankings and I have done a fair amount of studying about the posted curriculum styles, but my only hangup is whether or not there is any real difference between the way that the two run the first four years. What is it that gives UCSF the ranking. Why are they 4th and 11th respectively. Is there something that makes the UCSF graduates more capable in general? Or does it have more to do with the graduate medical school programs that they have to offer? If the way that the undergrad medical schools are run is similar in both schools, then it would be a clear choice for me, I would go to UCLA cause of family and money. However, if there is something at UCSF that I would be giving up by going to LA, that is what I want to know and I don't know how to look for that information. The schools don't release USMLE scores or anything like that, so I feel like there is an information gap there. As far as what specialty I am interested in, I feel like a kid at a candy store. Everything I see seems interesting, so I can't decide based on anything like that. I want to know what does UCSF have to offer med students that UCLA doesn't. Can anyone help me with that one?:confused:

the difference between 4th and 11th is the equivalent between a 40 MCAT and a 45 - alot of numbers, but legitimately the same.

i think that board scores at the upper tier med schools aren't higher than other schools because the programs are better, it is because they've got a higher caliber of student. the difference between these two great schools is probably gonna be minimal.

if you're good enough to get into either of these schools - you'll succeed. don't worry, just go where you'll be happier.

the difference between 4th and 11th is the equivalent between a 40 MCAT and a 45 - alot of numbers, but legitimately the same.

i think that board scores at the upper tier med schools aren't higher than other schools because the programs are better, it is because they've got a higher caliber of student. the difference between these two great schools is probably gonna be minimal.

if you're good enough to get into either of these schools - you'll succeed. don't worry, just go where you'll be happier.

UCLA!

AG, just go to second look weekends (I don't know if UCLA has one). Feel it out, what it's like being around the students now that you're in. If that doesn't make you lean one way or another, you can't go wrong going to UCLA at a discount. Both schools will get you where you want to go.

I called the admissions office at UCLA and they said that they are gonna have a second look day somewhere towards the end of April. That's good, cause UCSF's is like the first weekend in May. It will be good to hold off and see those. You are right. One thing that kinda sways me towards UCSF is the fact that I want to go study in China. My wife and I both think that it would be a great opportunity. I think UCSF is more renowned for their international programs.

I called the admissions office at UCLA and they said that they are gonna have a second look day somewhere towards the end of April. That's good, cause UCSF's is like the first weekend in May. It will be good to hold off and see those. You are right. One thing that kinda sways me towards UCSF is the fact that I want to go study in China. My wife and I both think that it would be a great opportunity. I think UCSF is more renowned for their international programs.

UCSF certainly has distinction internationally as one of the top institutions for research, health care, and innovation. While UCLA is respectable, it doesn't compare to UCSF in that respect. Also, UCSF is the leader on so many fields. While this is a "better" comparison than a lot of other posts I hae seen on here, UCSF is still clearly ahead.

Just for your info:

For more than 17 years in a row UCLA Medical Center has outranked UCSF Medical Center and is considered the "Best in the West" in terms of hospitals. This is even before they bring online later this year a brand new 1,000,000 square state of the art hospital. In 2006:

Rank # 5 UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles: 20 points in 13 specialties

Rank # 9 University of California, San Francisco Medical:14 points in 9 specialties

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/tophosp.htm

Just for your info:

For more than 17 years in a row UCLA Medical Center has outranked UCSF Medical Center and is considered the "Best in the West" in terms of hospitals. This is even before they bring online later this year a brand new 1,000,000 square state of the art hospital. In 2006:

Rank # 9 University of California, San Francisco Medical:14 points in 9 specialties

Basically be a smart person and pick U-C-L-A!!!!!!:thumbup:

Just for your info:

...based on criteria that have nothing to do with quality of medical education...

"Nurse Magnet"

"ambulance services"

number of Medicare patients discharged...

i think you should look into the programs. free housing is great, but if you think you like ucsf better, you'll regret it. however, if you think ucla is better, then you'll be even happier about the free housing. don't make it the deciding factor, just make it the icing in the cake. :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yup. And also what about all the free labor that goes into cooking those meals and washing that laundry-- think how much time that could save your! Not to mention general housing management: someone to track and pay your utilities, sort out your mail, maybe even loan you a car for a few days if yours breaks down.

Not gonna lie- living with relatives is not the "coolest" move in the world. But for med school purposes, it sounds like a pretty awesome deal. :D

that's a really, really tough choice. good luck:luck:

btw, your signature is great so make sure you keep it.