UCSF vs UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agscribe

Padawan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I posted a similar thread on the pre-allo site and I would like to ask you guys what you think. I am trying to choose between UCSF and UCLA. I liked UCLA more when I went there and my family is all in LA. I have a free apartment, courtesy of my great aunt, that is four miles from UCLA in Santa Monica. I am also considering just living in married housing cause I would really like to not have a car for the first two years, just use my wifes when necessary. Or UCSF. Now, when I went to UCSF I was much more impressed by the school, however UCLA's interview isn't exactly the most well-planned of all interviews. UCSF was more impressive, but I got a better vibe at UCLA. I have been comparing the two by just about every source I can get my hands on, but I am not seeing a whole lot of difference between the two. They both seem to have pretty much the same setup. Now, UCSF has a bigger name in medicine and I want to know does that have anything to do with the undergraduate medical school or is that all about the graduate/research level? I liked UCLA more, just a feeling, but I also liked UCSF a ton. I didn't like UCLA so much that I am just gonna toss UCSF if it really has something that I am gonna like. But I am just not seeing anything on the internet or the books I see. Can any of you from either of those two schools help me out? I am looking for selling points of the two. Thanks so much for any info that you guys can offer. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Please stop polluting the Allo forum with this nonsense.

Mods: Can we get some sort of announcement to limit this crap?

My advice:
1. Go with your gut. If you got a good vibe from the other students, its probably going to be a good place to be (regardless of which place that is).
2. The reputation of either institution is probably equal in this case, so it really doesn't matter for residency placement.
3. Cost- this is where that free pad in LA will help you out in saving you big money compared to the $$ you'd shell out to live in San Francisco.

As a 4th year who matched to UCSF coming from a non-ranked med school with no reputation whatsoever, I say go where your family is and where it will be cheapest. I guess in this case that would be UCLA. Good luck with your decision and don't try to "over think" this one, as for most graduating students things that you agonized over as a premed will become obvious after finishing school (or being close to done).

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm i disagree- of course you can match into ucsf from a no name school if you re good enough but for most people a name school will help a little, and every bit counts in my book, so i would say ucsf. im personally choosing between two lower ranked schools than ucsf and the higher ranked one will win out.

Please stop polluting the Allo forum with this nonsense.

Mods: Can we get some sort of announcement to limit this crap?

:thumbup: They usually move these threads once an advisor or mod sees them.

FWIW, one or both of these schools may have an allo class thread where you can ask students why they picked a given place. Most of us have different notions of what is important after we start school, so the opinions/rankings/reasons you seek will be abundant in pre-allo. Unfortunately none of us have actually attended both schools.

:luck:

OP

Take a moment and think to yourself. If every preallo decided that they were free to roam over to the allo forum and ask us their stupid "XX vs YY school??" questions, we'd have a whole bunch of these kinds of threads taking over the allo forum.

In the future, dont think that you can be the exception to the systemic policies. Premed topics of discussion go in the preallo forum, NOT allo.

Lighten up, people. I didn't get into UCSF either but I'm not begrudging this person because he did! It's a legitimate question, generally asking how to choose a school, asking those of us who might have had experience with the topic. Maybe we've found it hard to be away from family during school. Maybe we're glad we took the bigger name. Whatever, he wants to know.

That said, sounds like you want to go to UCLA -- UCSF might have a (slightly) bigger name in research but who really cares about that? Go with your heart, it's a fabulous school with very good recognition on its own. Residencies aren't going to pick another candidate over you just because they went to SF and you went to LA; they will see that you went to a prestegious school either way, you got xyz scores on your boards, and that they either like or don't like you. Period. Though I love SF myself, it sounds like you've got your heart in LA

You allo people need to chill. Seriously.

Asking for the input of current allo students should go in the allo forum.

Lighten up, people. I didn't get into UCSF either but I'm not begrudging this person because he did!

I think the other posters have a legit point. There are enough of us that come by pre-allo (to laugh, mainly) that he doesn't need to post this here. Your assertion that we have it out for him because he got into UCSF is absurd. Did you just make it up?

kakaboro said:
hmm i disagree- of course you can match into ucsf from a no name school if you re good enough but for most people a name school will help a little, and every bit counts in my book, so i would say ucsf. im personally choosing between two lower ranked schools than ucsf and the higher ranked one will win out.

BTW, the reputation of these two schools is probably equivalent in any case. If you attend either school, the only thing that will open more doors to residency programs is how you perform. The idea that if a school is #3 vs #20will hurt you is a figment of the premed's imagination. Focus on what the school has to offer, financial factors, and the environment you will be living and leave it at that.

Moving to Pre-Allo as this is a pre-med issue. Allopathic medical students can comment there too.