ucsf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kix

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about UCSF's BMS program? it looks like some of them combine research w/ clinical stuff. anyone know anyone in it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kix,
If you haven't done so already, I recommend checking out the web site:
http://www.ucsf.edu/bms/

There are 2 main graduate programs at UCSF: PIBS and BMS. PIBS tends to focus on basic sciences (Biochemistry, Genetics, Development, Biophysics, Neuroscience, etc), while BMS focuses more on organ and tissue biology and includes thematic areas in cancer, developmental & stem cell biology, human genetics, immunology, etc. There is a lot of overlap between PIBS and BMS and most faculty are members of both programs.

For you as an MSTP, what matters the most is the particular faculty with whom you are interested in working. Most graduate programs at UCSF have become fairly flexible in terms of requirements for MSTPs. BMS seems to be a natural fit for many MSTPs, but not everyone. I ended up doing Neuroscience because I wanted to go more in depth in this area and get to know other students interested in the same field.

Hope this helps!