UCVM 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaelyn.wintjes

Reaction score
Not sure if I did this correctly but let’s make a new forum for class of 2028!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
do we actually need a physical healthcare card ? can they not just use the number ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to upload a picture of it with your name and number on it!

Did they get rid of Casper?! I’d rather Casper than the stupid essay
IMG_3862.png

Did they get rid of Casper?! I’d rather Casper than the stupid essay View attachment 376632
I suspect (based on absolutely zero evidence lol) that they found the Casper tested a lot of the same soft skills as the MMI/essay combo, so there wasn't really a need for it now that they have sorted out doing online MMIs and have had good success. They only introduced the Casper during COVID when the fate of the MMIs was very much up in the air.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the CASPer is still part of the application process for this upcoming cycle. The CASPer date will be in April.

I think they just haven't updated their website. I remember the application manual saying that the essay is worth 30%, interview is worth 65%, and the CASPer is worth only 5%.
1694397192560.png

I believe the CASPer is still part of the application process for this upcoming cycle. The CASPer date will be in April.

I think they just haven't updated their website. I remember the application manual saying that the essay is worth 30%, interview is worth 65%, and the CASPer is worth only 5%.
View attachment 376647
There is definitely a CASPer for this cycle. If you scroll through the admissions timeline it says it's on April 9, 2024

It also looks like the application manual for your cycle is on the website now. I would highly suggest reading through it entirely so you know what you need throughout the entire application process

Good luck all you hopefuls! Rooting for you and might get to see some of you for the online MMIs :) Happy to answer any questions but since it's been a good while since I graduated now (2020) I probably won't be as much help with application things as I used to be - but still able for general vet school/vet/life questions!

Good luck all you hopefuls! Rooting for you and might get to see some of you for the online MMIs :) Happy to answer any questions but since it's been a good while since I graduated now (2020) I probably won't be as much help with application things as I used to be - but still able for general vet school/vet/life questions!
We're too old for the prevet forum now sardines :laugh:

• Haha
How long did it take you guys to write/re-write/edit your final app draft ? Ive been very roughly brainstorming my application for a while now, but not sure the best way to approach it. Ive never done anything like this before and I want to be careful, but I also don't want to spin my wheels re-rewriting it too much.

How long did it take you guys to write/re-write/edit your final app draft ? Ive been very roughly brainstorming my application for a while now, but not sure the best way to approach it. Ive never done anything like this before and I want to be careful, but I also don't want to spin my wheels re-rewriting it too much.
I think I spent at least 4 hours total on my application. I spent a lot of time critiquing it and looking it over and I had pre-written everything before the application was even open so that I could be prepared and make changes along the way before I actually submitted it. It takes time to jot down and remember all your important information that you want to bring to light.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of one-shotted my application and only did rough editing for grammar/wording mistakes. But leave yourself some time at the end to submit just incase there are technical difficulties! I submitted mine on the last day with some tech issues and that was very stressful haha

Did you guys talk about work and volunteer experiences like this :

Slug farm ( 2020 - present )
- fed slugs
- clean slug enclosure
- Help with slug advertising

Or like this

Slug farm ( 2020 - present)

The slug farm is an important slug producer in Alberta, one of a kind. I have had many roles at the slug farm, including cleaning, feeding, and advertising slugs. This has helped me develop interpersonal skills, as well as increased my slug husbandry knowledge and which I think will help me in veterinary medicine as I aspire to support the rural slug producers.

This is a *fictitious* example

• Haha

- fed slugs
- clean slug enclosure

Or like this

The slug farm is an important slug producer in Alberta, one of a kind. I have had many roles at the slug farm, including cleaning, feeding, and advertising slugs. This has helped me develop interpersonal skills, as well as increased my slug husbandry knowledge and which I think will help me in veterinary medicine as I aspire to support the rural slug producers.

I was so interested about your slug farming work I am sad to see it is fictitious

But also when I applied WAY BACK in 2015 I believe I did the latter

- fed slugs
- clean slug enclosure

Or like this

I also did the latter!

- fed slugs
- clean slug enclosure

Or like this

I didn't realize this wasn't real until the end and I was impressed because of how unique and interesting this was LOL. The second version is exactly how I formatted mine.

so did they mean the applications open tonight ? I thought it was like a link to portal/online form but Im not seeing it ?

Did you get it figured out?
I did ! Im just trying to figure out now how to input my grade for Ochem because I went to the U of L and you need two classes to be equivalent to U of C, but it won't let me put more than one grade. I suppose I could average them ?

I did ! Im just trying to figure out now how to input my grade for Ochem because I went to the U of L and you need two classes to be equivalent to U of C, but it won't let me put more than one grade. I suppose I could average them ?
I would contact Kristy at the admissions office, she is super helpful and should be able to guide you!

Hey guys ! So do you have 250 words PER activity you describe ??Or 250 words total divided amongst said activities ?

Hey guys ! So do you have 250 words PER activity you describe ??Or 250 words total divided amongst said activities ?
Sorry I’m a bit late to the game but it’s 250 each! I don’t think I had any of my 14 with less than 240 words, but don’t type words just to type words- I could’ve written much more about most of my experiences so that’s why they were close to the limit. Less is okay too but make use of the space you have if you have something valuable to put there! Also be sure to demonstrate what you brought to the table and how you may have exceeded expectations at each experience (as opposed to listing your responsibilities). Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions!

Well, the form is submitted! I wanted to give my references lots of breathing room... I think it all came together decently, I had some variability with description length, but I think I captured what I wanted to. also nice to have a buffer to figure out some transcript stuff since I'm sending one from out of the province. Man, it will be crazy when I know everything is complete and I can just kick back and wait! Does anyone know how soon references are contacted ?

Okay, talked to someone I know whos applied before. I guess it takes a few days for references to be contacted! I wish I could get ahold of someone in admin, it seems like it would be much easier to send my transcript through this MyCred electronic system but im not sure I'm allowed.

update: They are A-Okay with sending through MyCred.

Hey guys! Does anyone know when references will be contacted and when they need to respond back?

Hey guys! Does anyone know when references will be contacted and when they need to respond back?
So I think it depends on when you submitted the main form. My references were contacted and they were told they have until December 15th to respond.

So I think it depends on when you submitted the main form. My references were contacted and they were told they have until December 15th to respond.
Do you get notified when the references are contacted?

If I may ask, when did you submit the application and when did your references get contacted?

Do you get notified when the references are contacted?

If I may ask, when did you submit the application and when did your references get contacted?
I didnt get notified, but they told me when they received it since I had to email to tell them its different they what I originally told them lol. submitted my application form on November 5th, my references were contacted on the 17th .

Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone knows if both the proof of Alberta residency documents have to be scanned on one document or if there is a way to submit two documents (one for each)?

Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone knows if both the proof of Alberta residency documents have to be scanned on one document or if there is a way to submit two documents (one for each)?
oo I cant remember. I just scanned both cards on a single sheet of paper, personally.

oo I cant remember. I just scanned both cards on a single sheet of paper, personally.
Okay thank you! That is what I ended up doing as well, I just didn't know if there was a specific way it was supposed to be done.

Hey guys! Does anyone know how to check the status of their out-of-province transcripts? I mailed mine to UCVM in early October but I can't figure out how to confirm if they've been received. On my U of C student portal, it shows the status as "Institutions: Initialled", but I'm not sure what this means. Seeing if I can get a response here before checking with admissions since they're likely swamped with emails rn.

Hey guys! Does anyone know how to check the status of their out-of-province transcripts? I mailed mine to UCVM in early October but I can't figure out how to confirm if they've been received. On my U of C student portal, it shows the status as "Institutions: Initialled", but I'm not sure what this means. Seeing if I can get a response here before checking with admissions since they're likely swamped with emails rn.
I don't think there is a way of checking this, other than confirming with the institution itself if you are saying you physically mailed it. I had one transcript to send from out of province and one that came from within Alberta. I could see they got my in-province transcript on the My U of C page, and for my out-of-province one, I can see on " My Creds" that it was received and opened.

I don't think there is a way of checking this, other than confirming with the institution itself if you are saying you physically mailed it. I had one transcript to send from out of province and one that came from within Alberta. I could see they got my in-province transcript on the My U of C page, and for my out-of-province one, I can see on " My Creds" that it was received and opened.
My Creds is like an electronic sending platform I guess a handful of universities are using now instead of snail mail.

Pretty sure last year some of the transcripts were marked as received in the portal, but some were not and I had to email Kristy a few times to confirm they were received

I saw the invites were out last year Feb 16?! Omg does that mean this week

I’m so nervous
It looks like the invites aren't until closer to March 1st this year for you guys according to the admission timeline on the UCVM website. It'll be here before you know it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212-180959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212-180959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 69
It looks like the invites aren't until closer to March 1st this year for you guys according to the admission timeline on the UCVM website. It'll be here before you know it!
Oh interesting! I just assumed it say before or on March 1st every year, but then again , this is my first time

So glad I found this forum! Fingers crossed for everyone, hopefully we will all receive good news soon ! :)