UF 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufdlim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a thread for University of Florida 2009 yet, so I guess I'll be the one to start it.

Completed PharmCAS two weeks ago. Just finished the supplemental Friday, so it's out of my hands now. I'm applying to other schools too, but UF is clearly my top choice, as I am doing undergrad here.

I received my acceptance letter January 30th after my interview on the 16th! I am assigned the Jacksonville campus, which is my 2nd choice. It does not look like I will be able to return to Gainesville, as I do not have any 'compelling' circumstances. It won't affect my decision to enroll at UF though.

If there are any questions about the process, I'll be able to answer most of them. And if you're assigned to a satellite campus, let me know. We distance ed. need to stick together!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They have yet to send me my supplemental stuff, yet everything was mailed last week. I guess Im just waiting on them.

LECOM and NOVA emailed me online apps, Florida still hasnt.

So I went to their website and filled it out myself. Pushy? I dont think so. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I made sure to follow up after everything was completed to make sure they didn't lose anything. They apparently don't like it when you ask for your application status. Although they confirmed everything was in, they basically told me not to email again until after May, haha.

I don't know if anyone else has heard but the all of the UF campuses are having open houses (http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/disted.htm). That site has the distance education sites listed, click on the one you want to attend and there is an RSVP form for it. I couldn't find one for Gainesville, but the flyer on the Orlando one lists a date for the rest of the campuses (Orlando - October 20, Gainesville - October 19, St. Pete - October 28, Jacksonville - November 12). You have to RSVP, which I have. Anyway, I have two questions: Are we supposed to get an e-mail or something confirming the RSVP? I filled out the form online about two weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Also, what attire would someone wear to something like this? I was thinking just like long pants and a polo shirt but I don't want to be underdressed.

LECOM and NOVA emailed me online apps, Florida still hasnt.

So I went to their website and filled it out myself. Pushy? I dont think so. :D

Pharmcas is still calculating my gpa and I am tempted to go ahead and turn in the supplemental app. too... I wonder how long it takes for them to ask you to fill it out once Pharmcas mails everything?

Pharmcas is still calculating my gpa and I am tempted to go ahead and turn in the supplemental app. too... I wonder how long it takes for them to ask you to fill it out once Pharmcas mails everything?

UF does not require you to receive word from them prior to submitting your supplemental application. My advice is to get your supplemental applications in while you wait for PharmCAS to be finished.

Once PharmCAS finishes calculating your GPA, it will be submitted to the schools you designate, but that could take some time. If you are done with the school's supplemental work, it would only work to your advantage. Also, verifying your application is complete doesn't hurt.

By mail or phone call?

By mail. It came in a plain envelope and sent via standard postal mail, nothing fancy like certified or anything.

Do you know the approximate date for UF's second set of interviews? I know my application was mailed to them on Oct. 20 and I completed the supplemental a few weeks prior. I'm not a UF undergrad...I attend UCF. I was just wondering whether my chances are still good or if my application was already placed to the side.

There have already been several UCF students who have received interview invites for the Jan 16th interview.... I am out of town so I am not sure if I have received one, hence why I was wondering if it came by mail.

Thank you. I just wish that UF would send their letters out sooner. I'm just going to take the january pcat. I was not sure if my pcat score was competitive for them. I thought that it would be good along with my gpa (4.0) but the first time that I took the pcat I got a 73.

Members don't see this ad :)
There have already been several UCF students who have received interview invites for the Jan 16th interview.... I am out of town so I am not sure if I have received one, hence why I was wondering if it came by mail.
would you go to mercer over UF?

would you go to mercer over UF?
I will consider that issue only if I receive an acceptance from UF. Out of the schools I have currently been accepted to, Mercer is my number one choice.

Both are quality schools and recognized nationally and internationally. There are five pharmacy schools in Florida which increases competition on rotations and future residency spots. Georgia has only three pharmacy schools in the state and the staff at Mercer are incredible. Mercer has downtown Atlanta with Emory nearby, while Gainesville is more rural, but has Shands. UF tuition would be cheaper since I am a Florida resident.

Last edited:
**nvm** I reread the interview invite and my question was already answered.

Last edited:
I will consider that issue only if I receive an acceptance from UF. Out of the schools I have currently been accepted to, Mercer is my number one choice.

Both are quality schools and recognized nationally and internationally. There are five pharmacy schools in Florida which increases competition on rotations and future residency spots. Georgia has only three pharmacy schools in the state and the staff at Mercer are incredible. Mercer has downtown Atlanta with Emory nearby, while Gainesville is more rural, but has Shands. UF tuition would be cheaper since I am a Florida resident.

Interesting take on things:
However, Florida 18.5 (mil people) has 4 major cities (with major airport, pop above 200k, and professional athletic team) compared to Georgia's 1 and almost exactly double the population of Georgia (9.3 mil.) Florida's population is also older (Geo 9.6% over 65, Fl 17.3% over 65) and probably uses much more health care. So comparing a ratio of population (hence jobs) to pharmacy schools, Florida actually wins out.
Just something to consider....

anyone going to be at the March 13th interview in Orlando??

Yea! I'm driving to Apopka from the UCF area. I have heard from a friend who interviewed last month that it is very relaxed and low-pressure...he said they just want to make sure you can communicate well and are motivated to study pharmacy. UF is the only place I am applying since I can't leave Orlando. Whew! Pressure!!

Just be honest and open during the interview, no need prepare for it. Importance is quality applicants, not the "right answers"!

Last edited:
Can anyone who interviewed with the school provide information on what sort of questions they ask and what the interview is all about?

Last edited:
someone else who went to the January interview could give more information than i could, but i know the actual interview is short and the rest of the time you tour the facilities and can ask questions and whatnot...so i guess the 4 hours includes that kind of stuff- kind of an all-day thing.

Oh man oh man oh man.

My interview invite for the Jax campus came in the mail today!!!1111 :love:

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts. Casually flipping through the bills then dropping all my stuff and sitting in the parking lot when I saw the envelope. :laugh:

Oh man oh man oh man.

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts. Casually flipping through the bills then dropping all my stuff and sitting in the parking lot when I saw the envelope. :laugh:

Congratulations! Now I get to frantically check the mail every day for the next month hoping to be there also. :xf:

what are your stats?

I don't think there is a thread for University of Florida 2009 yet, so I guess I'll be the one to start it.

Completed PharmCAS two weeks ago. Just finished the supplemental Friday, so it's out of my hands now. I'm applying to other schools too, but UF is clearly my top choice, as I am doing undergrad here.

I received my acceptance letter January 30th after my interview on the 16th! I am assigned the Jacksonville campus, which is my 2nd choice. It does not look like I will be able to return to Gainesville, as I do not have any 'compelling' circumstances. It won't affect my decision to enroll at UF though.

If there are any questions about the process, I'll be able to answer most of them. And if you're assigned to a satellite campus, let me know. We distance ed. need to stick together!

what are your stats?

Overall 3.48, 85 PCAT

Oh man oh man oh man.

Congratulations! You're have more than a foot through the door. See you in the Fall!

Overall 3.48, 85 PCAT

Congratulations! You're have more than a foot through the door. See you in the Fall!

Thanks! We have almost the exact same stats...only I got an 84 PCAT.

pharmdapp87, did you put gainesville as your first choice, or one of the other campuses?

I put Orlando down. I'm pretty sure you'll get in. The interview process is the first step, and like you said earlier, they just want to makes sure you can communicate and all that jazz. I wouldn't be too worried about it :). Just walk in there with confidence and humm to yourself: "Go me, it's my birthday, Go me it's my birthday":banana: hehe. Good luck, hopefully I'll see you there?? i doubt it though. Not too worried though. I just got my interview notice from CSU COP!

Good luck, hopefully I'll see you there?? i doubt it though. Not too worried though. I just got my interview notice from CSU COP!

Congrats on the interview! that's awesome!! who knows about UF though? don't give up hope just yet!! :xf: i was just honored to get an interview at UF. I think your research experience is impressive so you never know!

Last edited: