UF COM 7-year BS/MD Program Info Session

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHP_Ambassadors

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Medical Honors Program (MHP) is an accelerated, 7-year dual degree program (B.S./M.D.) at the University of Florida College of Medicine. Prospective students apply during the second year of their undergraduate study at any 4-year accredited science degree granting institution. Florida residency is not a requirement . If accepted, students will gain admission to the UF College of Medicine without taking the MCAT. Please comment any questions about the info session or the program and I would be happy to answer questions.
For those who cannot attend physically, there is an option for a live Zoom broadcast (more info provided at a later date)
For more information:
UF Medical Honors Program Website: http://mhp.med.ufl.edu
Facebook Interest group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1034544726726347/
70946420_2456644451079676_4193089799860518912_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

The Medical Honors Program (MHP) is an accelerated, 7-year dual degree program (B.S./M.D.) at the University of Florida College of Medicine. Prospective students apply during the second year of their undergraduate study at any 4-year accredited science degree granting institution. Florida residency is not a requirement . If accepted, students will gain admission to the UF College of Medicine without taking the MCAT. Please comment any questions about the info session or the program and I would be happy to answer questions.
For those who cannot attend physically, there is an option for a live Zoom broadcast (more info provided at a later date)
For more information:
UF Medical Honors Program Website: http://mhp.med.ufl.edu
Facebook Interest group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1034544726726347/
View attachment 281652
I have a few questions. I imagine, given how decent a school UF is, that's it's hyper competitive to be accepted. How many people apply and how many are accepted?

Also, I heard that you lose your guaranteed seat if you later want to apply to other schools. Is this true? If so, given how tough I imagine it is to be accepted, is there really an advantage, other than avoiding the MCAT and saving a year, at the expense of seeing where else one can be accepted and what merit or need based financial assistance they might be eligible for elsewhere?

Does anyone whose profile doesn't indicate they would excel on the MCAT really have a shot at an acceptance? For that matter, does anyone whose profile doesn't indicate they would have a great shot at an acceptance to UF in the ordinary course really have a shot? Isn't it far easier to get an A from UF regular admission than through this program?

Am I missing something, or is the appeal limited to those whose first choice is UF COM as a sophomore in college, who just doesn't want to sit for the MCAT even though they are highly likely to do very well on it, and who has no interest in comparing financial aid offers or using one offer to try to leverage more money from another school?

I have a few questions. I imagine, given how decent a school UF is, that's it's hyper competitive to be accepted. How many people apply and how many are accepted?
I believe the numbers are 160-180 completed applications, 36 interviews, and 10 accepted (this cycle).
Also, I heard that you lose your guaranteed seat if you later want to apply to other schools. Is this true? If so, given how tough I imagine it is to be accepted, is there really an advantage, other than avoiding the MCAT and saving a year, at the expense of seeing where else one can be accepted and what merit or need based financial assistance they might be eligible for elsewhere?
Correct, you cannot apply to other schools if you do this program. The acceptance rate is far higher for this program than normal medical school admissions, partially because it is required that applicants have a sGPA of at least 3.7 and have a few other class requirements filled by the time of application.
I think the pros/cons of this program will depend on your goals. UFCOM is not only a well-ranked school, but it is very well liked by students (Pass/Fail first two years, Beautiful buildings, Actual emphasis on wellness, etc).
Does anyone whose profile doesn't indicate they would excel on the MCAT really have a shot at an acceptance? For that matter, does anyone whose profile doesn't indicate they would have a great shot at an acceptance to UF in the ordinary course really have a shot? Isn't it far easier to get an A from UF regular admission than through this program?
The program places an emphasis on looking for students that exhibit strong leadership characteristics and people that are unique over many other factors.
Am I missing something, or is the appeal limited to those whose first choice is UF COM as a sophomore in college, who just doesn't want to sit for the MCAT even though they are highly likely to do very well on it, and who has no interest in comparing financial aid offers or using one offer to try to leverage more money from another school?
This program allows students to take the time they would have spent studying for the MCAT and use that time to pursue more meaningful activities, whether that be on campus or in their personal life. Once medical school starts and your career starts to take off, you dont have much time to pursue other things outside of medicine. The goal is to allow students to spend their time enriching their lives to do other things, whether that be academic or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the numbers are 160-180 completed applications, 36 interviews, and 10 accepted (this cycle).

Correct, you cannot apply to other schools if you do this program. The acceptance rate is far higher for this program than normal medical school admissions, partially because it is required that applicants have a sGPA of at least 3.7 and have a few other class requirements filled by the time of application.
I think the pros/cons of this program will depend on your goals. UFCOM is not only a well-ranked school, but it is very well liked by students (Pass/Fail first two years, Beautiful buildings, Actual emphasis on wellness, etc).

The program places an emphasis on looking for students that exhibit strong leadership characteristics and people that are unique over many other factors.

This program allows students to take the time they would have spent studying for the MCAT and use that time to pursue more meaningful activities, whether that be on campus or in their personal life. Once medical school starts and your career starts to take off, you dont have much time to pursue other things outside of medicine. The goal is to allow students to spend their time enriching their lives to do other things, whether that be academic or not.
Many thanks for the quick and thoughtful response!!! :)

Seems rather low for such a stress relieving opportunity! Best of luck to all applicants

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user