1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UF GPA miscalculation - what do you think??

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tricia, Mar 23, 2007.

1. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    So I called UF to see if my application had been reviewed. Penny told me that it hadnt because they werent looking at applications with GPA's lower than 3.0. I knew my GPA wasnt lower than 3.0, so I sent an email to her asking if it were calculated wrong. She responded simply that "I recalculated your GPA".

I responded asking her to let me know when my application had been reviewed. I was afraid I lost my chance of getting in just cause they had screwed up calculating my GPA.

She just responded today, "Your application has been reviewed your letter will be mailed next week…" What do you think this means? My letter of rejection or my letter saying I have an interview? Im scared it will be the former.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gators14

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    UF calculates their GPA by their science courses. Menaing the Pharmcas GPA is useless.......

4. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I know. They miscalculated it because they didnt factor in two classes that I retook.

5. gators14

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think if it is the smae class...they average the two grades together...I am not sure about this.....what was ur GPA with ur calculation anyway...if ur within theur range u should be fine

6. jvillepharmd

2+ Year Member

Sorry to be kinda off topic, but I emailed Penny yesterday and today about accepting the invitation for an interview at UF Jax campus and she still hasn't responded back.

I figured she has a lot of emails to look through. (Just thought I'd give her the benefit of the doubt instead of calling her lazy):D

7. guestxyz

guestxyz But my lips hurt real bad
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    When I accepted the interview, I emailed Penny on 03/02/2007 and she replied back 03/15/2007, so it may take awhile to hear back. Just wanted to let you know, so you don't worry too much. :)

8. ufgator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I know what you mean. I e-mailed her on Monday or Tuesday to make sure that she had received my Acceptance for Admission. Yesterday, I called her to make sure that she had received it, since I hadn't heard back. She checked my file to let me know that it had been received. She finally e-mailed me back today around 3:00pm. I would give her a call on Monday, you can find her direct line on the UF website, in the directory. Everytime I have called her direct line and she's answered, she has been very helpful. Actually the number is 352-273-6215. Hope this helps...
    ~Nicole

9. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yeah, i retook one class that was averaged with the old grade, and I took another class that was a different course number and replaced the old grade. I've made sure a million times that Im doing the calculation just like UF does it. I come up with 3.19.

10. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What was the course that you retook with a different course number? They may not be replacing it.

11. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Sorry, but if they are calculating it and getting a different result, I doubt you are using the same calculation.

12. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Survey calculus replacing calc 1.

13. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Actually, her exact response was. "I recalcuated it. Thank you" which gives me the impression that it had been calculated wrong the first time.

14. stylerprodigy

stylerprodigy Gator Pharmacy Student
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Does this mean by these courses on their website? http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/admission.pdf

It would be somewhat to my advantage if the UF GPA is emphasized more than others. I took up to differiential equations as an electrical engineer and my math GPA is a 1.98, so I am worried about that hurting my chances. My UF GPA would be a 3.81, but my overall GPA is only a 3.1 because of engineering courses. So my question is what does UF look at most? After my first two years in college as an engineering major my GPA was a 1.7 and three years after that it went up to a 3.1 because of straight As in prereqs and upper division molecular biology courses. Another question is that should I take college algebra (which I never took) to up my math GPA for PharmCAS purposes and a review for the PCAT, or should I not take that course at all. Traditonal prepharm students didn't have to take Cal 3 or differiential equations. I'm also thinking about Nova Southeastern.

I'm sorry if this is an off topic post but gators14 said something I've been wondering for a while. Good luck in Elite Eight and hopefully the National Championship game.

15. tricia

tricia Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I believe they mostly look at the prereq gpa that they calculate and pcat.

16. gators14

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Yes they ONLY look at your pre rew GPA. Meaning that they would only look at ur 3.81 GPA...which is well above their average. NOVA looks at everything. I think if you get above a 75 on the PCAT u have a real good shot at FLORIDA....