UF Laptops

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by gameon, Mar 28, 2007.

1. gameon

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey guys, anyone have any suggestions on what is the best brand and featured laptop to buy? I'll be starting at the uf distance site in the fall so i'll be watching my lectures on it and I am totally clueless with laptops, I suppose I need windows vista and a nice graphics card?
    Any help would be appreciated! thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eelo

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Check with the school and find out what they require/recommend.

4. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hewlett Packard dv6235nr = $899 on sale. Meets the UF specs and works great.

5. SCCpharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I recommend Dell Inspiron. I have ordered maybe 10 dells, for work, family, and personal uses, and have had little problems with them. If you have extra money, go for the 2GB RAM upgrade.

Techbargains.com has some great coupon codes for Dell and other websites.
    For example:
    $400 off select Inspiron Notebooks $1499+ (Excludes XPS) Dell Coupon Code: 9C12FJVBKTKPV$ Expires: Mar 29 3:59 AM PT

Don't worry about coupons expiring. Dell always has coupons available.

6. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I recommend not buying a laptop. UF "requires it", but you never bring it to class. Most laptops crap out after a couple of years. Get a desktop with a nice, big, LCD display for watching lectures.

I'm not sure if they are set up for Vista. You need to check with the computing center. The videos are very proprietary. They only run on a few versions of Windows Media Player and only under XP.

7. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I wonder what they are going to do with the Fall 2007 students that never had a laptop before and are buying one just for the program. The only standard OS, unless you buy a Dhell, for laptops these days is Vista.

8. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    They mentioned that they are going to switch back to Blackboard from Web CT for the next incoming class. We've been on Web CT for the last year. Maybe they've been getting Blackboard ready for Vista.

9. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I miss blackboard!!!

10. gatorboy

Pre-Pharmacy
    my sister goes to UF pharm. schoool, and she never takes the laptop to class. however she finds it very convenient to have it since she can watch all her lectures on it. I think you have to get a laptop since they register it when you go to UF. just get a cheap economical laptop and you should be fine. dont spend more than 900.

11. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yes, they told us that we had to get a laptop, too. During my 4 years at UF, they asked us to bring them to campus for 1 day. We didn't turn them on. They wanted to see how many people actually did buy laptops.

Everyone here already owns a computer. That computer will work just fine for watching lectures. Save your money. I was an idiot and bought one. SDN was new to pharmacy back then, so there was no one to advise me.

12. kellia

kellia aspiring pharmacist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

I have to agree. We were asked to bring our laptops ONE time during the first week of school, first year. They wanted to make sure our system was set up properly for lecture viewing (antivirus, pop up stuff...). We were never again asked to use them. Also, on the St. Pete campus, they are pretty much useless in the library. The connection is too slow wirelessly (sp?) to watch lectures or even google in a reasonable amount of time.

That said, I am glad I own a laptop for the convenience I have in my own home.

It's your choice, but I would save the money... You're about to become broke!!!!!!:)

13. donflo79

donflo79 UF:Conditionally Accepted
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm just getting done with my first year & I have both a laptop & desktop. I'd recommend a laptop only because of the convenience, being able to study outside of home, etc.

Honestly, I'm glad I bought one.

I'd recommend a Dell because of the warranties & the UF discount.

14. tennismn

tennismn Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I agree with what Don said. We're in the same class, and my experience has pretty much been the same. I've got a desktop at home and a laptop to carry around, and I use my laptop all the time. While it might be more comfortable to use the desktop to watch some of the lectures, you'll find that time is at a premium, and sometimes it's easier to watch 2 lectures at Panera's than drive home and try to watch them.

As for brands, there's a great site, www.notebookreview.com, that compiles laptop reviews. They also have a section for coupons for the various manufacturers, so if you're dead set on Dell or someone else, you can get the lowest price.