UF or FSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to transfer my junior year to either UF or FSU. Right now I am really leaning towards UF. Lets say you were accepted to both for your undergrad, which Univeristy would you pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctormo24 said:
I am planning to transfer my junior year to either UF or FSU. Right now I am really leaning towards UF. Lets say you were accepted to both for your undergrad, which Univeristy would you pick and why?
UF, most definitely. Their Honors program is pretty decent, and their pre-med program is probably better than FSU's because its med school is much more established. Unless you were into something like communications or agriculture, I'd go with UF.

UF for pre-med ... without quesiton. It's where I went ... watch out for physics though :).

Members don't see this ad :)
pedsid said:
UF for pre-med ... without quesiton. It's where I went ... watch out for physics though :).

Hey,

That's where I'm right now. Do you know if algebra based is harder or the calc. based?Thanks

Doctormo24 said:

Repeat after me:

UF

Why??? Best premed program in the state of Florida. Most competitive applicants. Most well reputable school for producing successful applicants. Very very very very very reputable medical school with a lot of research opportunities and volunteer opportunities nearby. GREAT premed organizations. USF has modeled both its premed AMSA and AED in many ways after UF's, although subconsciously. But UF's organizations are some of the best well most organized with some of the greatest opportunities.

Their advisors know more of what they are talking about, and they are just overall the best school.

I would most likely go with UF. It as a reputation for being one of the most academically rigorous and research-oriented schools in the state with respect to medicine and the natural sciences. It also is well-established for premeds.

That said, an argument can be made to go to FSU. A previous poster brought up the fact that there are a ton of highly qualfied premeds at UF-- It has one of the highest number of National Merit and International Baccalaureatte students in the country. Let's face it, this is a numbers game. I would guess that there is a smaller pool of premeds at FSU although I have no data to back that up. if you are reasonably strong, you could argue to be the "big fish in a little pond" at FSU. All things equal... in my experience, that actual numbers of a class rank and GPA are taken into account a little more than the amount of time/effort/craziness (due to school rep/rigor of curriculum) in getting that GPA (sad but true).

Of course, you'd end up being a seminole... that's probably the deal-breaker:D