UF or Nova?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shovon

CMS Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you guys pick UF or Nova??

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in-state FL?

Yeah I'm in-state. I also went to UF for undergrad.

I'm more interested in which school people would choose if cost wasn't a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying until this year...but UF is my top choice ONLY because its like 1/2 the cost of Nova. But other than that, the Nova location is better (I hate Gainesville...Ft. Lauderdale has beaches, warmer weather) and its closer to home for me (I'm from Naples)...cost is the only thing that's stopping Nova from being my #1.

What about quality of dental education/specialization rates/board scores, etc? I don't mind Gainesville, but I'll admit Ft. Lauderdale is a lot nicer.

I have lots of friends that go to both, and all are very happy with their decisions. But I don't know too many people that have had to choose between one or the other for reasons other than cost..

From what I understand, UFCD is a very good school, but I don't know if I'm brainwashed?

I am a Nova D1, and I would have to say that so far it is pretty good here, there are those professors that are a little overboard (the basic science teachers), but i would have to say that coolest thing about dental school here is how awesome my classmates are. Everyone in my class works to help each other out.

Now i don't know much about UF, but we had a girl that went to UF and she hated it, she said it was pretty cutthroat. Again i have no first hand knowledge of this. But like you said, Nova is pretty pricey. So i guess what it comes down to, is do you think you would be happy at UF for 4 of the most stressful years of your life? And someone commented earlier about the beaches are nice down in Ft Lauderdale, just a reminder you will be busy so don't expect to be there all the time and pass your classes.

I am a Nova D1, and I would have to say that so far it is pretty good here, there are those professors that are a little overboard (the basic science teachers), but i would have to say that coolest thing about dental school here is how awesome my classmates are. Everyone in my class works to help each other out.

Now i don't know much about UF, but we had a girl that went to UF and she hated it, she said it was pretty cutthroat. Again i have no first hand knowledge of this. But like you said, Nova is pretty pricey. So i guess what it comes down to, is do you think you would be happy at UF for 4 of the most stressful years of your life? And someone commented earlier about the beaches are nice down in Ft Lauderdale, just a reminder you will be busy so don't expect to be there all the time and pass your classes.

Woohoo! btizzels has returned. :banana:

I really liked Nova. Every dentist will tell you to attend the cheaper school.

UF is a competitive school and the classmates don't always help each other out in the beginning. That said it has amazing board passing scores and by the end most of the class acts like a big fraternity and parties together on the weekend. I am also a fan of how they redid their clinics to be comprehensive. What I don't like about them is they rejected me twice :rolleyes:

UF is a competitive school and the classmates don't always help each other out in the beginning. That said it has amazing board passing scores and by the end most of the class acts like a big fraternity and parties together on the weekend. I am also a fan of how they redid their clinics to be comprehensive. What I don't like about them is they rejected me twice :rolleyes:

I can relate - this is my third year of applying, and much to my surprise UF finally accepted me this year. I'm still really suspicious though..

I got better vibes from other schools (i.e. Nova).

Nova's facilities look much nicer, which for whatever reason seems important to me.

I was considering joining the military to take advantage of the HPSP scholarship, which takes cost of education out of the equation.

Most of the dentist that practice in Florida, if thats where you plan to live, have either graduated from UF or are affiliated with UF. Going there you're joining a larger network. I would say UF.

Nova is in a nice location, but you're in school, so you won't have time to enjoy those amenities.

Best of Luck!

Thanks for all the info. I personally don't like cutthroat environments.. But I'll take games at the swamp over days on the beach any day! (I was born and raised in FL, so I'm kinda used to beaches..)

Nova's facilities look much nicer, which for whatever reason seems important to me.

I was considering joining the military to take advantage of the HPSP scholarship, which takes cost of education out of the equation.

I am doing the HPSP program, it is a sweet deal especially if you are going to an expensive school. I am from CA, so UF was not even an option for me since they really don't accept out of staters

You can pretty much tell when i have a big test coming up and I am tired of studying....I pretty much look for any excuse not to study

Hey Shovon! Congrats on getting into UF finally! Thats awesome bud! See you in Gross Lab tomorrow! (This is Sean Thoms by the way)

I've visited the campus about dozen times now because I have 2 dental-student friends there and a nursing friend. They tell me the patient pool is enormous and the staff has a open-door policy when it comes to helping out their students. Not only that, they raised their standards from last year, so if you got in there, they must really see something in you. My opinions are coming from a student who got accepted into 5 of her top schools and she chose Nova. I would trust her opinion, definitely.

You really want to stay away from any Tebow fans. So, if money isn't an issue, come to Nova!

Btizz!!! I disagree, I know you definitely enjoy downtown FTL- there are many pics of you to prove it. You just dont remember much since everyone was "recovering" from the semester. I barely remember anything myself. But we always go out, once or maybe twice a week. Unless we have a huge week of exams