UF pre-vets log???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoxydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!
I was talking to a pre-vet advisor at UF via email and I was asking about experiece hours. She told me that there was no form to fill out for your hours but she suggested keeping a log of all of the cases I saw while with the vet. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks!!!
Rayven

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!!
I was talking to a pre-vet advisor at UF via email and I was asking about experiece hours. She told me that there was no form to fill out for your hours but she suggested keeping a log of all of the cases I saw while with the vet. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks!!!
Rayven

Yeah I would recommend it. I did that back in the day when I was interested in medical school and working as a scribe. It really helps and could come in handy some day.

Keeping track of hours will be very beneficial in the future. Otherwise, you'll tend to forget - much easier to have an exact number. Also make note of neat cases or things like that, because you'll tend to forget those too. Kinda keep a little diary, so to speak. You'll thank yourself later!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping track of hours will be very beneficial in the future. Otherwise, you'll tend to forget - much easier to have an exact number. Also make note of neat cases or things like that, because you'll tend to forget those too. Kinda keep a little diary, so to speak. You'll thank yourself later!

I did that for a while but then realized no one was ever going to look at it, unfortunately including me. Then I just looked at my average hours/week and multiplied it by weeks to keep the total (adjusting for the occassional miss). 100% accurate. No. Does it really matter? No.

so besides it being a good record for me personally, no one else ever looks at it????:confused:

hmm.... okay. so all of the expereince hours are self - reported right? what keeps someone from just bluffing about their numbers?

I have an excel sheet with two pages for keeping track of hours- one for animal and one for veterinary experience. If anything interesting or noteworthy happened, I generally just put it next to the specific date.

I currently have it stored as a google document because I lost it twice when computers crashed. If google crashes, we're all screwed, so I think it is safe there. :laugh:

hmm.... okay. so all of the expereince hours are self - reported right? what keeps someone from just bluffing about their numbers?

Honesty.

edit: I answered this posting as a general answer. Did not realize it was specific to UF. I do not know anything about UF requirements. Please consult them for more accurate info!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is Sylvia still the PreVet advisor?

No one at UF is going to ask to see a spreadsheet, it was just a suggestion as a way to keep more accurate track of your experience hours so all you have to do is plug it into VMCAS.

Honestly, I WISH this was something I thought of before, oh, junior year of college. :p It would have been helpful to have an accurate number of hours and what I saw/did each day. Got through the application process just fine without it, but I'd definitely recommend starting one if you're early in the experience-getting process.

Hmm.... how are the hours reported on the VMCAS? Do you just fill in the hours earned at a particular location and give the name and phone number of your reference?

thanks for all the help guys!!!! It makes my life a lot easier. I was planning to make this super detailed log/diary thing thinking someone would eventually look at it lol:D

Hmm.... how are the hours reported on the VMCAS? Do you just fill in the hours earned at a particular location and give the name and phone number of your reference?

thanks for all the help guys!!!! It makes my life a lot easier. I was planning to make this super detailed log/diary thing thinking someone would eventually look at it lol:D

There is a blank space where you put in a number. Thats it. Vaguely simple and yet TREMENDOUSLY IRRITATING. So happy its over...