UF pre-vets log???

Started by Hoxydude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hoxydude

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!!
I was talking to a pre-vet advisor at UF via email and I was asking about experiece hours. She told me that there was no form to fill out for your hours but she suggested keeping a log of all of the cases I saw while with the vet. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks!!!
Rayven
 
Hey guys!!
I was talking to a pre-vet advisor at UF via email and I was asking about experiece hours. She told me that there was no form to fill out for your hours but she suggested keeping a log of all of the cases I saw while with the vet. Has anyone else been told this?

Thanks!!!
Rayven

Yeah I would recommend it. I did that back in the day when I was interested in medical school and working as a scribe. It really helps and could come in handy some day.
 
Keeping track of hours will be very beneficial in the future. Otherwise, you'll tend to forget - much easier to have an exact number. Also make note of neat cases or things like that, because you'll tend to forget those too. Kinda keep a little diary, so to speak. You'll thank yourself later!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keeping track of hours will be very beneficial in the future. Otherwise, you'll tend to forget - much easier to have an exact number. Also make note of neat cases or things like that, because you'll tend to forget those too. Kinda keep a little diary, so to speak. You'll thank yourself later!

I did that for a while but then realized no one was ever going to look at it, unfortunately including me. Then I just looked at my average hours/week and multiplied it by weeks to keep the total (adjusting for the occassional miss). 100% accurate. No. Does it really matter? No.
 
so besides it being a good record for me personally, no one else ever looks at it????😕

hmm.... okay. so all of the expereince hours are self - reported right? what keeps someone from just bluffing about their numbers?
 
I have an excel sheet with two pages for keeping track of hours- one for animal and one for veterinary experience. If anything interesting or noteworthy happened, I generally just put it next to the specific date.

I currently have it stored as a google document because I lost it twice when computers crashed. If google crashes, we're all screwed, so I think it is safe there. :laugh:
 
hmm.... okay. so all of the expereince hours are self - reported right? what keeps someone from just bluffing about their numbers?

Honesty.

edit: I answered this posting as a general answer. Did not realize it was specific to UF. I do not know anything about UF requirements. Please consult them for more accurate info!
 
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is Sylvia still the PreVet advisor?

No one at UF is going to ask to see a spreadsheet, it was just a suggestion as a way to keep more accurate track of your experience hours so all you have to do is plug it into VMCAS.
 
Honestly, I WISH this was something I thought of before, oh, junior year of college. 😛 It would have been helpful to have an accurate number of hours and what I saw/did each day. Got through the application process just fine without it, but I'd definitely recommend starting one if you're early in the experience-getting process.
 
Hmm.... how are the hours reported on the VMCAS? Do you just fill in the hours earned at a particular location and give the name and phone number of your reference?

thanks for all the help guys!!!! It makes my life a lot easier. I was planning to make this super detailed log/diary thing thinking someone would eventually look at it lol😀
 
Hmm.... how are the hours reported on the VMCAS? Do you just fill in the hours earned at a particular location and give the name and phone number of your reference?

thanks for all the help guys!!!! It makes my life a lot easier. I was planning to make this super detailed log/diary thing thinking someone would eventually look at it lol😀

There is a blank space where you put in a number. Thats it. Vaguely simple and yet TREMENDOUSLY IRRITATING. So happy its over...