UFC 88 in the ATL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usnavdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first UFC tonight. Ill try and post some pics tomorrow. Heading to Chuck Liddell's afterparty after the fight so it should make for an interesting evening!

Later guys

Members don't see this ad.

My first UFC tonight. Ill try and post some pics tomorrow. Heading to Chuck Liddell's afterparty after the fight so it should make for an interesting evening!

Later guys

I'll be watching on a semi-comfortable sofa. It's not ringside, but hey, what can you do?

Ender

Members don't see this ad :)

Later guys

Wow! Did you see that knockout? Chuck Liddell took one on the chin and it was over. :eek: I was not expecting that.

Later guys

Poor Liddell, he tried to go for the kill a little bit too early :(

Poor Liddell, he tried to go for the kill a little bit too early :(
If you looked at that punch it was a matter of 1/2 a second or so. Evans is a little slower or Liddell is a little faster and he eats that uppercut. Pretty interesting night though.

David Carpenter, PA-C

All I have to say is wow. No one in the arena was in their seat when that happened. We were in a VIP box so we had the perfect vantage point. After the first round I was a little dissapointed that chuck didnt have a more varied gameplan like he did with Silva. But I was also surprised by Rashad b/c his hands and movement looked really good. Needless to say I have new respevt for Rashad. Never really been a fan of his since his early more boring fights but he has come a long way since then.

It was pretty amazing seeing these guys in person walking around. We ran into to Forrest Griffin, well actually he was being mobbed and it was hard not to see him, but anyway he said he wants to come back and headline another show here at some point in the future.

Pretty cool night. By the time we left the Arena it was around 0200 and they had stopped serving beer at the afterparty. Plus we obviously didnt see chuck there. There were a few of the fighters around but mostly I think we got there after things were kinda over.

My camera acted up so I had to rely on my phone. Ill post some pics when a friend who was with us emails me the pics later this week.

If you really have some spare time, check out the first four UFC's on DVD.

It's come a long way, although I have to admit I don't get as excited for the PPVs now as I did back when I watched #6, 7, 8...[athough now you don't have to worry about the PPV ending during the final / championship fight].

Plus when I moved, I could only get ATT Uverse which does not show the UFC in HD, which is obviously quite lame.

Ouch, was surprised to see chuck get his ass handed to him. Lidell's best game plan was as a counterpuncher and he' put down some pretty nasty KO's that way. Too bad he got beat at his own game yesterday. I'd also have to agree that Evans has come a long way. SOB can now stand up and trade blows with the best of em.

I think it's really a good thing for the UFC though. It seems that the dominant fighters are now much better rounded than in the past where the brazilian jujitzu guys dominated...to the ground and pound fighters...to the one dimensional strikers. Pretty cool to see the evolution of all this.

To be honest, it sucks that lately the UFC has been putting in fighters that were amazing in their prime but are little "past-date". For example, Wanderlai Silvia was amazing in the late-90's in Pride but failed to deliver in 2008 in the UFC. Chuck was amazing during the early 2000's but is just not able to deliver like he used.

Everyone wants a comeback-story like Rocky fighting past his prime, but come on. What's next, Royce Gracie versus Ken Shamrock IV?

To be honest, it sucks that lately the UFC has been putting in fighters that were amazing in their prime but are little "past-date". For example, Wanderlai Silvia was amazing in the late-90's in Pride but failed to deliver in 2008 in the UFC. Chuck was amazing during the early 2000's but is just not able to deliver like he used.

Everyone wants a comeback-story like Rocky fighting past his prime, but come on. What's next, Royce Gracie versus Ken Shamrock IV?
I agree. The WEC is where its at right now. Just like in boxing the middleweights pound for pound are the hardest hitters. That and there are some amazing wrestlers/BJJ fighters in those weight class. Now that the next fight is postponed until November I'm definitely thinking about heading to Tampa.

David Carpenter, PA-C