UGA (4 year) VS LECOM Erie (3 year)..deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoPharmD

Love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The difference in tuition fee doesn't concern me that much. LECOM only cost 27,590 more than UGA. Moreover, graduating one
year faster at LECOM will make up for that difference. I think the main thing to consider is reputation which may affect the chance of residency,
considering there are so many pharmacy schools now across the country. People probably know more about UGA and LECOM, which is a new private school; however, both schools are fully accredited. Moreover, since LECOM opened new branch in the Southeast (Florida), by the time I graudate and apply for residency, its reputation will be well-known across the East coast. LECOM has also great potential for growth. It is a tough decision for me.
Possible higher prestige VS Length of Study.( I will be 28 this year) -- if I decide to go to residency, it would be 2+4 (6 years) at UGA.

Anyone else has this 3 year VS 4 year dilemma?

Members don't see this ad.

heyy i am in the same boat. I know exactly how u feel..and it's a tough decision...esp b/c ur age..and u wanna get out and make a career... i am 21 so the years don't affect me too much.. but still ... i am taking my time and trying to list all the cons and pros of each school. PM me for more details.. maybe we can help each other out!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no such thing as prestige.

Well, it depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want to do retail, it doesn't matter where you go. If you want to do a residency/fellowship afterwards, it seems like where you went does matter, because of name recognition of the school.

I know what you mean about the age thing, I'm only 25 and still freaking out! I do have a question though...Why does the cost of tuition not bother you? I worked out the numbers and it seems as if UGA will be at least 50k cheaper for me than South. Add up all that interest and it's a considerable amount...

*I also responded to you on the UGA thread.

I now what you mean about the age thing, I'm only 25 and still freaking out! I do have a question though...Why does the cost of tuition not bother you? I worked out the numbers and it seems as if UGA will be at least 50k cheaper for me than South. Add up all that interest and it's a considerable amount...

$50k is a lot of money. I don't know it's that much difference. In your case, I would choose UGA over South unless you can stay with you parents' place in Savannah.

However, unlike South, LECOM Erie only cost ~$20,000/ year.--so it's like 70,000 total for 3 years.---not like 100,000 at South. However, I still have to add up the traveling cost to visit family/friends in GA and higher cost of international travel to my home country or other places (due to being a small airport--need connections).

Go to UGA.

A one year difference is nothing once you get into school. It seems like that while you are planning your life, especially since you're in your late 20s, but once you get into the pharmacy curriculum, you will be amazed at how quickly it all goes.

You will appreciate having that extra year to absorb all the information, insteading of continually cramming for tests and then forgetting most of the information because you are cramming for the next test.

You'll also appreciate having the summers off to either relax, work as an intern at a community or hospital pharmacy, or apply for a summer program for pharmacy students in a biotech company. All of these options could be advantagous to you, especially when applying for residencies.

Go to UGA.

A one year difference is nothing once you get into school. It seems like that while you are planning your life, especially since you're in your late 20s, but once you get into the pharmacy curriculum, you will be amazed at how quickly it all goes.

You will appreciate having that extra year to absorb all the information, insteading of continually cramming for tests and then forgetting most of the information because you are cramming for the next test.

You'll also appreciate having the summers off to either relax, work as an intern at a community or hospital pharmacy, or apply for a summer program for pharmacy students in a biotech company. All of these options could be advantagous to you, especially when applying for residencies.

You do have a great point... I mean I am on the alternative list for Lecom Erie and Bradenton. If you drop out or take your name of it'll help others as well at LECOM.

I mean LECOM is expensive, I personally don't have a choice of where to go, but you do. I would go with the cheaper one as it would be benefitual when the time to pay of all those loans come. Also it snows a lot in Erie compared to UGA. Also I've talked with LECOM students it seems only Retail pharmacy companies like to come there. So check to see if UGA has more than Retail pharmacy companies coming during their Job fairs.