Ughh... What to do?!!!! [cry for help]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

King of Dent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished up my summer semester, and i'm officially a senior! I have been studying for the DAT and I'm wrapping up my AADSAS application now. My concern is that I made a C in my physics course during the summer semester, causing my GPA to drop to a 3.18 smh. For the record, my grades are mostly A's & B's, I have only made 3 C's. With that being said, I KNOW that I have to score really well on the DAT to even be looked at? I question it because I have an excellent personal statement, great LORs, and loads of leadership & community service hours. I'm not sure if I can get 20+ on the DAT because I was trying to study while taking the physics course over the summer. I plan on taking the DAT the first week of September, and if I don't score high enough, that will cause me to take it again in December, putting me at the end of the cycle. So, I need some advice! Should I:

A) Continue to study for the DAT and apply with my 3.18 GPA (had a 3.38)

B) Get my GPA higher during my senior year and just apply for the next cycle?

Thank you guys in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

thats a huge jump from 3.38 to 3.18 from one C.... you must not have alot of credits

Anyways, contrary to popular believe, a good DAT doesn't offset a poor GPA (unless we are talking something ridiculous like 25+), now having said that, you don't have a bad GPA, its just in the 3.2(ish) range, and the average is about 3.6, you are not that far off.

I can't give you any advice on which option you should do as I don't know your science GPA, if its above 3.2, then go with option A.... otherwise, I'd go w/ option B

Reactions: 1 user
If your URM you could get some interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3 C's in total dropped me down to the 3.18 because they were all 4 credit courses. But yes, I am an URM

The 3 C's in total dropped me down to the 3.18 because they were all 4 credit courses. But yes, I am an URM
If you are URM you should be ok. Apply to meharry and howard too.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand how an URM can have such advantage?

Is this an assumption,? Or fact?

I'm sorry for a very dumb question but what is URM stand for?

Your plans are not mutually exclusive. Take the DAT and apply this cycle, pick your schools carefully. Continue to do well your senior year and make yourself a better applicant, and make a plan for your gap year if you need to apply again. Never close a door just because you are afraid that you might not be allowed through. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand how an URM can have such advantage?

Is this an assumption,? Or fact?

its one of the biggest assumptions over SDN....
its like, people think URMs are so few and far inbetween that as soon as URM enters the application cycle, schools open their arms (and doors) welcoming them irrespective of credentials.

Yah I agree. It's a huge assumption , and I do not believe it's true. I do after that schools like diversity , however they wouldn't grant interviews to someone merely on the fact that they are URM