UH JABSOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyBunny7

the newest St. Lunatic
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed at UH? This year or years past? I just received an invitation and am trying to find out more about the whole interview process. How are the interviews? What kinds of questions do they ask? I'm from CA so I'd like to have all 3 interviews on the same day. Is that possible? As much as I love Hawaii, I don't really wanna pay to fly there more than once, and I can't really afford to stay their for a week or whatever and miss school. Any info would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i thought you had to be from hawaii to get an interview there??? please shed some light on this

thanks

hey ppl.

I had my two interviews at UH and am meeting the dean tomorrow. as i am in hawaii it doesn't cost much but imagine how much its costing me to fly to the east coast for interviews.

anyhow,

you have 2 interviews with some kind of faculty in the medical school. in my case I had a family practice and anesthesiologist. Usually its at their places of work so i had an interview in Mililani Hawaii which is about 30 minute drive from honolulu without traffic about 1 and 1/2 hours in rush hour. 2nd interview was in Kaiser which is about a 15 minute drive from honolulu. You definitely need a car in hawaii Public transportation sucks because no subway.

Then you finally meet with the Dean who is supposed to have answers to all your questions.

Thats basically it. You can try to schedule them together and if you are lucky (i think they are willing to be more flexible since you are out of state coming in) you meet with the two first and then you meet the Dean which is at the UH campus.

Out of state ppl can attend UH med school...but most of them which are probably around 10 people out of the 65 per class is out of state. But they have some kind of connection to Hawaii. ie. their spouse is from there, they went to school there, you have relatives...or you can get in if you are a super genious.

hope this helps...PM me if anyone has questions.

Originally posted by johnstoner

or you can get in if you are a super genious.

FYI, in case anybody cares or wants to know, I am definitely not a super genius :D, and I don't have those "official connections" that qualify me as having ties to the state. But my numbers are above the UH average, and I do have some ties to Hawaii (I have relatives there, my parents and grandparents were born and raised there).

Anyway, thanks for the info. Anything else from others would be appreciated, especially info about the nature of the interviews themselves. Thanks!