UHCO or SCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CERON

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time making a decision between University of Houston College of Optometry and Southern College of Optometry. I enjoyed them both and they will cost about the same for me. I am a Texas resident and I really want to stay close to home but I also really enjoyed SCO and I can't decide which one I want to go to. If anyone is attending SCO or Houston please let me know how you made your decision.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you end up deciding on? I was faced with the same decision with the same two exact schools for the same reason you have! I wanted to pick UHCO mainly for how close it would be to my family, but the combination of many factors (more affordable, felt more homey, and the incredibly high board passage rates) at SCO led me to going there! The school offered me a scholarship and a regional tuition seat deal that made the cost difference significant. No matter which one you pick, remember that you will get a phenomenal optometric education. You're welcome to PM me if you have any questions!

I've said this on other threads, but I'll say it again: both are phenomenal schools. You won't go wrong either way. Both are in larger cities. SCO is more expensive, but their board rates are great. The only thing I would say is that from being in medical settings with MDs, those who are not from Tennessee do not know what Southern is. Everyone knows big name institutions like Berkeley, UAB, Indiana, etc. However, I've had MDs not know what the academic prowess of an institution was simply out of name recognition. University of Houston is a well-known public university with a new medical school, pharmacy school, law school, and nursing program.
The choice is ultimately yours, and they both have exceptional faculty and training. Congrats!