SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UHCO questions

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by eye82, Mar 6, 2007.

1. eye82

eye82

Mar 4, 2007
    I will be starting at UHCO this fall and was trying find out when classes start. Is the optometry calendar the same as the undergrads calendar? Also my wife and I are trying to decide to rent or buy a home. We don't have enough money for a large down payment. I would appreciate any advice in from others who have been in this situation. Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!! Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Tampa
    The optometry school always has a different calendar than the undergrads (especially in the Spring semester)

I just checked their intranet website and they don't have the 2007 academic calendar posted, unfortunately. But, you could always call the admissions office to get the exact date.

Houston has a fairly inexpensive housing market. If you have even a small down payment you can usually get a good deal (especially if it's your first time buying). Although, apply while you still have an income.. if you're living off student loans it's VERY hard to get a mortgage without a cosigner. Although, if your spouse makes a good living individually it's definitely doable.

4. eyebwoi

eyebwoi 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    I was told orientation starts on August 13, and may go on for the whole week. I know August 13 and 14 are definitely orientation days. School officially starts the next week, on Monday August 20.

Also, if you plan on living in a fairly nice area close to campus (say, medical centre), buying might be too expensive. More affordable housing is available a bit further out from campus...My wife and I will be renting an apartment in the medical centre (I have been living in the medical centre for 2 and a half years now and I feel comfortable in the area). Some reasonably priced apartments are available to lease!

Hope that helps!

Good luck

5. J.opt

J.opt 7+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2002