UHCO questions

Started by eye82
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eye82

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting at UHCO this fall and was trying find out when classes start. Is the optometry calendar the same as the undergrads calendar? Also my wife and I are trying to decide to rent or buy a home. We don't have enough money for a large down payment. I would appreciate any advice in from others who have been in this situation. Thanks
 
The optometry school always has a different calendar than the undergrads (especially in the Spring semester)

I just checked their intranet website and they don't have the 2007 academic calendar posted, unfortunately. But, you could always call the admissions office to get the exact date.

Houston has a fairly inexpensive housing market. If you have even a small down payment you can usually get a good deal (especially if it's your first time buying). Although, apply while you still have an income.. if you're living off student loans it's VERY hard to get a mortgage without a cosigner. Although, if your spouse makes a good living individually it's definitely doable.
 
I will be starting at UHCO this fall and was trying find out when classes start. Is the optometry calendar the same as the undergrads calendar? Also my wife and I are trying to decide to rent or buy a home. We don't have enough money for a large down payment. I would appreciate any advice in from others who have been in this situation. Thanks

I was told orientation starts on August 13, and may go on for the whole week. I know August 13 and 14 are definitely orientation days. School officially starts the next week, on Monday August 20.

Also, if you plan on living in a fairly nice area close to campus (say, medical centre), buying might be too expensive. More affordable housing is available a bit further out from campus...My wife and I will be renting an apartment in the medical centre (I have been living in the medical centre for 2 and a half years now and I feel comfortable in the area). Some reasonably priced apartments are available to lease!

Hope that helps!

Good luck