uhs vs azcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhadshah

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
been accepted at both...which one is better...i'm coming from the east coast so both are far, so distance is not the problem...what about pass/fail vs. grades...residency, rotations, student body diversity...i remember when i interviewed uhs was not all that diverse but azcom is new...any thoughts and please be quick since i have to make a decision by tomorrow...

Members don't see this ad.

I am attending UHS this fall as an MS1. I lived in Phoenix for 6 mos and i was offered an interview at AZCOM. I was gonna take it until I wasaccepted at UHS. UHS in my opinion is a far better school if for nothing else than it being established. This translates into better residency opportunities, better rotations slots and a more established curriculum. Also, AZCOM is not even accredited yet, nor has it graduated a class. There is diversity at UHS and plenty of opportunity. In my opinion, the wise career choice would belong to UHS entirely.

I think UHS is the better choice too, and not only because I am a student there.

AZCOM hasn't graduated a class yet, so you have no idea how the students do overall (First part of the boards is not a good indicator;I love the discussions about passing rates on the boards, that all the schools try to capitalize on, but all of them have first time passing rates in the 90s% so they don't mean much to me) and what kind of standing it has among residency programs. UHS has been around for a long time and its graduates consistently are accepted into competitive osteopathic and allopathic residency programs.

AZCOM may be a very promising school, but I would rather go for the certainty than the promise, particularly when you will be investing so much into your medical education, in time, effort and money.

I agree with UHS2002. As I stated earlier I not only feel UHS is better because i am a student there, but because it is a much better established program. After all, I lived 5 miles from Glendale, AZ where AZCOM is located AND had an opportunity to attend. I had a recommendation from a faculty member and a scheduled interview. Turned them down in favor of UHS.