uhs vs azcom

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by bhadshah, Jul 22, 1999.

1. bhadshah

bhadshah New Member

been accepted at both...which one is better...i'm coming from the east coast so both are far, so distance is not the problem...what about pass/fail vs. grades...residency, rotations, student body diversity...i remember when i interviewed uhs was not all that diverse but azcom is new...any thoughts and please be quick since i have to make a decision by tomorrow...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mightymouse

mightymouse Member

I am attending UHS this fall as an MS1. I lived in Phoenix for 6 mos and i was offered an interview at AZCOM. I was gonna take it until I wasaccepted at UHS. UHS in my opinion is a far better school if for nothing else than it being established. This translates into better residency opportunities, better rotations slots and a more established curriculum. Also, AZCOM is not even accredited yet, nor has it graduated a class. There is diversity at UHS and plenty of opportunity. In my opinion, the wise career choice would belong to UHS entirely.

4. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

I think UHS is the better choice too, and not only because I am a student there.

AZCOM hasn't graduated a class yet, so you have no idea how the students do overall (First part of the boards is not a good indicator;I love the discussions about passing rates on the boards, that all the schools try to capitalize on, but all of them have first time passing rates in the 90s% so they don't mean much to me) and what kind of standing it has among residency programs. UHS has been around for a long time and its graduates consistently are accepted into competitive osteopathic and allopathic residency programs.

AZCOM may be a very promising school, but I would rather go for the certainty than the promise, particularly when you will be investing so much into your medical education, in time, effort and money.

5. mightymouse

mightymouse Member

I agree with UHS2002. As I stated earlier I not only feel UHS is better because i am a student there, but because it is a much better established program. After all, I lived 5 miles from Glendale, AZ where AZCOM is located AND had an opportunity to attend. I had a recommendation from a faculty member and a scheduled interview. Turned them down in favor of UHS.