UIC called me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y

yjo2

So UIC called me.

It was the UIC admissions office. They said they reviewed my application and noticed that I'll be out of school for 2yrs by the time I start d-school. They said I should register for some courses to refresh my memory because they have commonly seen people like me enter d-school and end up failing cuz they are unable to keep up. They said they highly recommendd that I go back to school (even community college).

I went to their undergrad and got a 3.9 gpa. And i've spent the past year working in a dentist office as an office manager and volunteering as a DA at a dental clinic on my off days... and doing research for a public health organization.

This doens't make any sense. I thought they would want someone who has alot of experience in dentistry. It's obvious Im academically prepared (i went to THEIR undergrad!!) and I wanted to solidified my decision in dentistry through experience?

Did anyone else get a phone call from them? Is it even common to get a phone call from an admissions office? Does this mean I have a low chance of getting in now? or they won't consider me until I enroll in some class??.... so confused as to why they called me to tell me this.... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would take that as a hint, since they took the trouble to call you to recommend getting back in the grind then they are probably trying to say get prepared for the fall 2011. Being a dental assistant doesnt prepare you for courses like biochemistry, histology, and caliber of anatomy the school teaches. I dont think you need to take the classes again but just get a book and maybe go through the material again.

They could have easily just called and rejected you but they didnt.

I don't think you should panic, I look at this as a nice advice, they will probably accept you, but they advise you to enroll in courses in the spring, so that you'd be better prepared for dschool in the fall. I would definitely take that advice :).
Good luck and congrats on your success

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already interviewed there or have you been invited? Either way, I don't think that could be a bad thing.

no, i did not get an invite for an interview at UIC. which is why I was confused. but yea..... so weird.

no, i did not get an invite for an interview at UIC. which is why I was confused. but yea..... so weird.

Call the school and make sure you speak to the person who talked to you on the phone. Ask if there is any other option he/she can recommend?

So UIC called me.

It was the UIC admissions office. They said they reviewed my application and noticed that I'll be out of school for 2yrs by the time I start d-school. They said I should register for some courses to refresh my memory because they have commonly seen people like me enter d-school and end up failing cuz they are unable to keep up. They said they highly recommendd that I go back to school (even community college).

Really really odd... there must be something else they're getting at.

At my interviews (UIC included), there's always been ~50% people who have been out of college for 1-2 years. It's actually really normal. I wouldn't even consider it non-traditional. I, myself, will have been out of school for 2 years when I start D-school, as well. Yet UIC made no mention to me about going back and taking courses. And my GPA is lower than yours.

Very peculiar...

Last edited:
right?? i thought it was SO ODD.
I did call them back a week after. I spoke with the same person. I told them I was concerned as to where that puts me as an applicant...
and before I could even finish my sentence, she said something about how
if it came down me and some other student with similar grades,
they would most likely pick the other student simply because they are in the momentum of studying... and recommended I take some classes at a community college nighttime.

I have 4 interviews pre-dec rite now. and nobody has said one thing about being out of school for too long.

I have no idea what to think.....

:confused::confused:

Dont you know you become stupid once you're a grad? lol This is pretty odd. esp since you have a 3.9gpa. You should have just said "dont worry checkout my freshman gpa."
I'm sure whatever challenge gets thrown your way you will take care of it... just like you have been doing for 5+ years now.

That's very peculiar since they have not offered you an interview. It would be one thing that if accepted, it would be conditional that you take x amount of hours before matriculating. But, the fact you have not interviewed kind of makes you wonder why bother taking their advice if they're not going to interview you/haven't interviewed you yet?

Sorry. I feel ya. They have given me some impractical "advice" as well during my app process.

I guess my only advice is if you really want to get in UIC, then maybe you can take some online classes at CC? They don't eat up that much time.

So... I just got invited for an interview at UIC haha. I guess they were just warning me in case I do get in.... ??
Still think that was a really odd thing to do :idea:

So... I just got invited for an interview at UIC haha. I guess they were just warning me in case I do get in.... ??
Still think that was a really odd thing to do :idea:

At least now you know one question they'll ask you in the interview.

I'd look into tutoring. Easy way to refresh your memory, is rewarding, and looks good.