SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UIC COM: Campus Assignment

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Voltaire, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Voltaire

May 17, 2008
    Does anyone know what criteria determine which campus an accepted student will get assigned to?

Is it based on merit? (Do kids with high GPAs/MCAT get priority?)
    Is it first come first serve?
    Random lottery?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2007
    hSDN Alumni
    I believe that when you are accepted you indicate your preference and then they do their best to accommodate, but in the end I think it is more "first come first serve". They are all good campus's though.
  4. Mobius1985

Mobius1985 7+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I think they also try to balance the student population at each UIC campus so they are equally diverse in gender, race, age, disadvantaged background, population of town of origin, etc. Campus assignment is not based on merit, though those accepted in the first few waves have the best possibility of being assigned to the Chicago campus as they get their "site preference" cards sent in first.
  5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    That may apply for dividing the class between Peoria and Rockford, but from what I've seen before, it's pretty much a mad dash to fill Chicago, then the remainder is split amongst the rest. Chicago has consistently filled between late-january/late-February for the last few years. The rest of the campuses haven't filled into May.
  6. bcat85

bcat85 10+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2007
    But seriously... I'm sure you get a good learning experience anywhere.. but i would rather knaw off my own arm than live in peoria for 3 years.
  7. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Have you been to Rockford?