UIC Decompressed Program--Helllppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pico61

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll

I was informed last week that I had to do the decompressed program at UIC. Right now, I got into UIC (and I am on two waitlists) but UIC is asking that I do the five years instead of 4. This means that the 1st traditional year will be broken up into two years as to give one more space to ease into the curriculum.....

I would appreciate any advice on what I should do.. I was just thinking of reapplying, but there is no guarantee that I will get in next year so I really don't want to take chances either..

What do the peer SDNers suggests? Should I go to UIC or should I reapply?

Thanks is advance

Members don't see this ad.

pico61 said:
Hey ya'll

I was informed last week that I had to do the decompressed program at UIC. Right now, I got into UIC (and I am on two waitlists) but UIC is asking that I do the five years instead of 4. This means that the 1st traditional year will be broken up into two years as to give one more space to ease into the curriculum.....

I would appreciate any advice on what I should do.. I was just thinking of reapplying, but there is no guarantee that I will get in next year so I really don't want to take chances either..

What do the peer SDNers suggests? Should I go to UIC or should I reapply?

Thanks is advance

why would you turn it down? what's another year in the scheme of things? you're guaranteed a spot, it's designed to be at a manageable pace, and you'll be at a great school.

i'm a little biased, though.

here's hoping that you come to your senses,
'mel
;)

I did not realize people were put in the program - I thought they were recommended for it, meaning UIC is thinking you would be a good candidate for the program. You should find out if you could just be put into the regular cirriculum and see how you fare through midterms. After that point you could be put back into the decompressed program. Although if you reapply you will still finish at the same time (5 years from now) and you are risking not being accepted - I don't see the benefit there. Unless you are striving for a competitive specialty, in which case I am not sure how the decompressed program is viewed by program directors. If it were me I would accept, even if decompressed is my only option.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies..yeah uic seems great. I tried to get the regular curriculum but it did not work.....

I am just worried about the cost and whether residency directors will make a bid deal about it....

hopefully, i do come to my senses soonnn :scared:

Do you think there's any way you can convince them to let you try the regular program for a semester, and if that doesn't work, put you into decompressed? I guess what they're trying to do is seriously cut down on people doing make-ups over the summer... but doing so preemptively w/o only a predicition of your potential based on what.. college grades?... seems pretty stupid... but in any case, if uic is the only place you got into, stick with it, cause reapplying would probably be a pain in the ass!!

Is your acceptance good ONLY if you decrompress the first year? I've never heard of that before, but wouldn't be surprised if so.

If its your only option, then go for it. If things are slow for you first year, then spend some time doing research. If you can get a pub or two during the year while taking courses, then I don't think residency programs will care at all, in fact they will be impressed that you have pubs.

sga814 said:
Do you think there's any way you can convince them to let you try the regular program for a semester, and if that doesn't work, put you into decompressed? I guess what they're trying to do is seriously cut down on people doing make-ups over the summer... but doing so preemptively w/o only a predicition of your potential based on what.. college grades?... seems pretty stupid... but in any case, if uic is the only place you got into, stick with it, cause reapplying would probably be a pain in the ass!!

yeah, i think uic is doing a lot of new things this year. I have been out of school for a while so i guess it all makes sense. I am gearing up for reapplication and yeah it is a pain in the buttt....I am just waiting to hear how the financial stuff is going to break down....

thanks for all your info and time...

IUSM said:
Is your acceptance good ONLY if you decrompress the first year? I've never heard of that before, but wouldn't be surprised if so.

If its your only option, then go for it. If things are slow for you first year, then spend some time doing research. If you can get a pub or two during the year while taking courses, then I don't think residency programs will care at all, in fact they will be impressed that you have pubs.

yeah, acceptance is only if i decompress.....It use to be a voluntary thing, but they've changed it....

and yes it is my only option because the two schools that i am waitlisted at start in the next couple of weeks....

ohhh geez..

I'm on UIC student council - they've changed the policy for decompressed students, effective next academic year. All decompressed students pay only PART TIME tuition (used to be full time - so it was like paying for an extra year). Now, it's not - much better!!

Good luck!

pico61 said:
thanks for the replies..yeah uic seems great. I tried to get the regular curriculum but it did not work.....

I am just worried about the cost and whether residency directors will make a bid deal about it....

hopefully, i do come to my senses soonnn :scared:

SwingDoc said:
I'm on UIC student council - they've changed the policy for decompressed students, effective next academic year. All decompressed students pay only PART TIME tuition (used to be full time - so it was like paying for an extra year). Now, it's not - much better!!

Good luck!

huh? Part-time? When you say effective next academic year do you mean 2006-2007?

as an UIC applicant, I am very curious on what you had decide to do. Will you take the decompressed program option? I find it strange that the school gave you the ultimatum a few weeks before starting classes. Normally don't schools provide available options when they offer acceptances?

ULTRA nerves said:
as an UIC applicant, I am very curious on what you had decide to do. Will you take the decompressed program option? I find it strange that the school gave you the ultimatum a few weeks before starting classes. Normally don't schools provide available options when they offer acceptances?

Yeah, UIC is weird...I might just withdraw....230,000 for a public medical education is a bit steep..