UIC In-State vs Midwestern (AZ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrPrePharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide between going to school at UIC which is in-state versus doing the accelerated 3-year program at Midwestern's Glendale, AZ campus.

The way I see it:

UIC costs about $40k less overall, but it would take a year longer to complete the program. Cost of living is higher in Chicago (I already live in Chicago), and it's an amazing city. I would love to explore new areas of the city, as I live in a completely different neighborhood from UIC's campus. UIC's program is well ranked and has a strong reputation. I would also have ample time to participate in internships or pursue research interests in the summer. The money made during the summer in internship would also offset some of the cost of living expenses. This is of course assuming I can secure an internship given the saturation of pharmacy students in the Chicago area. I already work as a tech, so at the very least I am guaranteed a job as an intern for my current employer, although ideally I'd like to pursue interests outside of community pharmacy (where I currently work). Further, I am considering applying for a dual degree (M.S. or PhD) next year, and UIC gives me the opportunity to do this.

Midwestern does cost $40k more overall, but I graduate a year earlier and start earning income one year earlier as well. However, there will be minimal to no opportunity for internships or significant time to pursue research interests during the summer. A dual degree will be probably not be an option (even though Midwestern does offer a few, they are not in my intended field of secondary study, and time constraints will be huge in the 3-year program). I'm also a bit nervous about having to leave a city (Chicago) where I'm already established and familiar, although I think that the opportunity to expand my horizons may be a positive. Securing a job after graduating may be easier as the surrounding area is less saturated than the Chicago area.

Can anyone provide feedback on my thought process and weigh in with some thoughts of his/her own?

Members don't see this ad.

No response - maybe a moderator could move this to the general pre-pharm section? I posted in the school-specific forum as I was looking at two specific schools but it seems comparison threads are more active in the general forum.