UIC Internal Medicine for GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMLover69

Reaction score
What is the standing of this program in terms of obtaining a GI fellowship? Im a med student here and want to know whether its better to match here or if its probably better to try and match at other programs.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the standing of this program in terms of obtaining a GI fellowship? Im a med student here and want to know whether its better to match here or if its probably better to try and match at other programs.
Been watching this thread go unanswered for a week now. Disclaimer: I haven't worked/trained at UIC.

It's a truly unique IM program with a great emphasis on medical education. The main distinguishing factor of the residency is the proportion of patients on straight up medicaid. It's a great place to go for those interested in health disparities and from what I have heard there is an emphasis on medical education which makes sense given the school has 50 IM residents, 200+ medical students per class, and the PDs an ID-trained UIC lifer who loves the program. In terms of GI fellowships, it's a Chicago program so there will be lots of people with the whole "big city, big $$$" mentality so you're inevitably going to see a few GI matches yearly.

In terms of going there with GI fellowship aspirations, like with all midtiers it's not one of those places (think top 20-30 med schools/IM residencies) where you can go, write a case report, and get a fellowship on name only. You're going to have to work to get your GI fellowship but at the same time it is a solid, well-known academic program so it's not one of those places where you're obligated to be chief to get GI either. The current PD is one of the most longstanding PDs in the country meaning he has connections to fellowship PDs so that could be a plus. The take home message is that at any of these so-called midtier IM programs, you need to do your work to get GI. The residency name doesn't do it for you.

Last edited:
I know some residents at UIC that matched. If you work hard and network with other institutions and research you will match to GI

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of going there with GI fellowship aspirations, like with all midtiers it's not one of those places (think top 20-30 med schools/IM residencies) where you can go and write a case report and get a fellowship on name only. You're going to have to work to get your GI fellowship but at the same time it is a solid academic program so it's not one of those places where you're obligated to be chief to get GI. The current PD is one of the most longstanding in the country meaning he has connections to fellowship PDs so that could be a plus. The take home message is that at any of these so called midtier IM programs, you need to do your work to get GI. The residency doesn't do it for you.

Can you please expand what you mean by the places where you write a case report and get a fellowship on name only? If I do IM training at places like cornell, northwestern, UCLA, NYU, Emory, UTSW, does that mean if I write a case report I get a guaranteed fellowship?

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Can you please expand what you mean by the places where you write a case report and get a fellowship on name only? If I do IM training at places like cornell, northwestern, UCLA, NYU, Emory, UTSW, does that mean if I write a case report I get a guaranteed fellowship?

First off, LOL.

Second off, kind of? I dont know that some of those names carry that cred, but certainly the 'top' tier programs do (your MGH/ Hopkins/ UCSFs etc), now the assumption often is if youve gotten to one of those places and done done well you have the 'necessary' skills to cut it in fellowship and do well beyond. You still need the basic requisites of course but pretty sure the PD is going to think twice before not handing out that IV.

Reactions: 1 user