UIC P1 classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznboyee

what a stupid name X(
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As school is starting in about a month or so, I am trying to start get ready (since I haven't taken any classes in a year). Anyhoo, I thought I saw a post saying that we need to know the top 100 drugs in our first year. I though I could get ahead start on it, but I'm not too sure. I tried to search for it, but I couldn't find it. Do we do this in our first year or later on?

Members don't see this ad.

aznboyee said:
As school is starting in about a month or so, I am trying to start get ready (since I haven't taken any classes in a year). Anyhoo, I thought I saw a post saying that we need to know the top 100 drugs in our first year. I though I could get ahead start on it, but I'm not too sure. I tried to search for it, but I couldn't find it. Do we do this in our first year or later on?

I thought they told us we would start memorizing the top drugs our P2 year. If you work in retail though, you probably already know them ;)

As a 2006 graduate of UIC from what I remember, unless things have changed, you won't learn anything about medications until p-2 year. Your first year will be some review (i.e. med chem) mixed in with pharmaceutics and other classes. Enjoy your first year and relax. It doesn't get interesting until the 2nd semester of p-2 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You go over the top 120 drugs during P-2 year in Phar 324. I have the list already for my class. Note, buy the USP-DI through ISHP because they offer a great deal.
The first year is more theoretical than practical.

I wouldn't buy ANY books. I think I purchased the calculations book and that was about it for the WHOLE 4 years. I didn't get the Dipiro or anything. What a waste of money. I did find the full 3 volume set of the USPDI for 20 bucks on ebay brand new. UIC gives you everything you will need in the 1000 page handouts you will get....

I just finished my P2 year at UIC and I co-sign everything everyone else said.
Dont buy any books (except the calculations book)
Dont worry about the drugs, you wont learn about that stuff until next year.
And just enjoy your first year.

Thanks for the responses!

I just can't help that competition is going to be a bit more... but I guess GPA doesn't really matter as long you know (and retain) your shiz

Remember Cs make degrees.
Personally, I like books. I like to have another perspective on a topic.
You will need another reference for the Renal section in Physiology.

aznboyee said:
I just can't help that competition is going to be a bit more

not too thrilled abut this

Competition for what? Jeeze people ...relax. The competition is over. Your already in pharmacy school.

pharmdgto said:
Competition for what? Jeeze people ...relax. The competition is over. Your already in pharmacy school.

My attention, of course :love:

jackbauer1 said:
no you dont, i did fine without a book.

just listen VERY CAREFULLY to dr chan and take LOTS of notes.

if you look away for one sec, its over!

ROTFL..Dr Chan!! He always talked about Potashium....How about Dr. Lu? Same thing. I think it took me 4-5 PDAT lectures to figure out what he was saying. Great guy and very nice but between the chinese TA's and Chan/Lu its was difficult at times, nonetheless.

jackbauer1 said:
no you dont, i did fine without a book.

just listen VERY CAREFULLY to dr chan and take LOTS of notes.

if you look away for one sec, its over!

Oh God. I went to only 1 of his lectures and from there, I knew it was a complete waste of time. I could not focus in that lecture to save my life. I borrowed someone else's notes. Thank God I have some really good friends. LOL