UIC vs. Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hussain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first poster here.

Ive been browsing the forum for the past 5 months now and finally decided to join the community. there is a ton of info on this website. ive been recommending this website and the interview feedback website to every MCATer i know. its damn helpful.
alrite, now to the core of the issue.

i just had my interview at UIC and it went smooth as butter, according to me atleast. i have another scheduled with Rush on the 18th of this month. i hope i will do just as fine. infact ive been using the interview feedback to prepare for the interview and believe me, it may be the most useful tool for any interviewee. now my predicament lies in the fact of choosing between UIC and Rush provided i get in both. My main agenda is to go to a school that will help me with my matching. i want to stay instate, basically within chicago. if possible i want to match to either Rush, U of C, Northwestern hospital for residency. but that is beside the point. i know that is dependent on ur board scores and reviews from physicians during ur rotations. my question is which school will be better for me Rush or UIC.

some of u may say that Rush has better facilities. i know theyve got a heavily ranked hospital, but in terms of M1, M2 facilities UIC is gonna open thier brand new wing of the college of medicine in 2005.

i know this is a huge post, especially for a first timer, but i hope someone will be able to direct me or give me a resource link. i actually found the website for the UIC matchlist and will prolly ask for Rush to give me thiers. also do u guys know where we can find the average board scores for each school from the previous years.

i can almost picture the ZZZZZZZZs some of the readers will have so sorry if this is too boring of a thread. anywho's stunning website and kudos to the members for keepin it real :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was wondering the same thing.

I have heard that they are about the same quality school and some ppl. have even told me that they thought UIC was better. I know the disadvantages of going to a large school like UIC is that noone is going to hold your hand like they might do at other private medical schools. But, then again...it is cheaper. Rush definitely has an excellent residency program. My friend who went to NU told me that if you wanted to stay instate for your residency than it doesn't really matter where you go.

I have no idea which school is better and I think different ppl. will be partial to diff. schools. Hope someon has a better take on this than I do.....

Each school has its own strengths and weaknesses. UIC is a public school so it is more affortable than Rush. UIC is a stronger research institution and Rush is a stronger clinical institution. UIC has campus over all IL and the Rush campus is in the middle of Chicago. Both schools have comparable reputations. If you look at UIC's matchlist, you will see students matching very well in various specialities. UIC likes to brag about how many students got matched into field X, but you have to remember UIC is one of the largest medical schools in the nation. Rush doesn't publicize its matchlist.

When is your interview at UIC? You need to take into account that the UIC Chicago campus fills up mid-December. If you interview after Christmas, you are not likely to match with chicago. Also, UIC does its first year in Urbana, not chicago

sdnstud said:
Also, UIC does its first year in Urbana, not chicago

Students that get placed in Peoria or Rockford do their M1 year in Urbana. People who place in Chicago do M1 in Chicago.