UIW or Xavier Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaPhatCat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both and I am trying to figure out what school I should attend...

UIW has not been accredited yet but will most likely be accredited...The founding dean has had experience in opening another school in VA so I am pretty confident she will do the same at UIW...Well, thats what I think at least...UIW has a new building that will be completed by this summer that will have state of the art technology classrooms...It is a private institution so it will be expensive...And also it is a new program so they are in a sense experimenting with how to teach their pharmacy students...

On the other hand, Xavier is accredited and it has been established for quite some time...It is cheaper than UIW...but it is in New Orleans with a high crime rate and the facilities are not new and may have been damaged from Hurricane Katrina...thats all I know about Xavier...does anybody know about how the Pharm D program is regarded?...

Thanks for the advice and good luck to everybody...

Holla at me if any of you guys got accepted to Xavier or UIW...

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to UIW too, and I will be attending that school this fall.. I don't know much about Xavier, except that it is also a private, Catholic university. But like you said, the pharmacy building isn't brand new like UIW and also it's in a location prone to hurricanes.. I think you should come to UIW (but it's really up to you and you should weigh out all the options). :)

Also, I saw in another thread that you received your acceptance letter on April 23rd. I received my letter on that day as well, and it says that I must return the forms and a $500 deposit by May 7th... Did your letter have a different date? I would check again to make sure...'cause the deadline was a week ago (unless your date is different).

Members don't see this ad :)
no i had the same due date for the deposit...May 7th...

i already sent that in...i didnt get my Xavier acceptance letter until late last week...

Since you've already paid $500, why not stick to UIW? Do you want to go to Xavier more?

i just want to make the best choice...$500 is nothing compared to my education and my future...

Just got back from New Orleans...

I LOVED it!! I had so much fun...I love the people-and after a visit I seriously considered moving there-and possibly applying to Xavier...hadn't considered it before.

what did you love about the people?...what other schools are you applying to tim?...just wondering

University of the Incarnate Word or TSU?...

anybody have any suggestions?...thanks alot

University of the Incarnate Word or TSU?...

anybody have any suggestions?...thanks alot

to be honest, i would say UIW, eventhough $$ is little problem to me but i definitely dont want to move out of state, and u shouldn't worry about UIW accreditation. anyway, the decision is yours, hope you make the best luck out of this, and yet, your decision will fortunately save any folks who are on waitlists for UIW and Xaxier ( that includes me, i'm on waitlist for UIW)

u know any one declined, accepted, rejected, pulled off the waitlist... please please share it with me,

thanks, again congrats and gluck!!!

why UIW over TSU though?...what is your reasoning im curious...thanks

why UIW over TSU though?...what is your reasoning im curious...thanks

It doesn't matter how many times you ask this question, you are the only one that can make this decision for yourself. People have different reasons they like or dislike a school and those reasons sometimes might not apply to you.
This is your decision, make sure you make the right choice. you are lucky you have the opportunity to choose.

i worked with a pharmacist who graduated from ole miss and he said a lot of the kids in his class transferred to Xavier because the workload at ole miss was ridiculous and Xavier was known to be much easier. this was back in the days of B.S. Pharmacy, however.

i understand that the decision is ultimately going to fall on me...but the reason why i post this question is to find more input on the pros and cons of each school...i cant find much info online on these schools and i was hoping current students from both schools give me their opinions on their experiences...

i understand that the decision is ultimately going to fall on me...but the reason why i post this question is to find more input on the pros and cons of each school...i cant find much info online on these schools and i was hoping current students from both schools give me their opinions on their experiences...

why would you apply to schools without doing adequate research on them? why don't you think about why you applied and what you said during the interview with each school. also, you should revisit each school and while on each school's campus, talk with actual students about what's good about the school and tell them to be 100% honest with you. investigate all areas about the school like financial aid, school activities, student-body diversity, etc. you know anything that interests you. also look at the area surrounding the school. all of these things should factor in to what school would be the best for YOU.