UIWSO interview invitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiefairy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invitation this morning from UIWSO via email. It caught me by surprise since NONE of my LoR's have come in yet. Anybody else get one? How should I prepare for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! Would you mind if I ask what your stats are?

Also, for the interview, I think practicing is a great way to calm your nerves and build confidence, so ask different people to sit down with you and ask you questions! Look them in the eye!

Good luck!

Congratulations on your interview. My understanding is that Optomcass does not forward applicatiosn to teh school unless some of teh LORs are included.

I was admitted into UIWSO to start this fall, but my mom got diagnosed with a serious illness. I asked for deffered admission into fall 2010. I was told that I needed to still apply through Optomcas due to the bylaws of optomcas. UIWSO has not recived my application yet from Optomcas because my letters and transcripts are delayed.

I hope to get an interview. That's the school that I want to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Would you mind if I ask what your stats are?

Also, for the interview, I think practicing is a great way to calm your nerves and build confidence, so ask different people to sit down with you and ask you questions! Look them in the eye!

Good luck!

Well, my overall GPA is 3.40, science GPA is 3.31. My OAT score is 350 and Total Science is 370. My extracurricular and leadership experiences are seriously lacking though...

And I really wish my letter writers would try to finish the letters with a little more urgency. It's making me nervous!

Congratulations on your interview. My understanding is that Optomcass does not forward applicatiosn to teh school unless some of teh LORs are included.

I was admitted into UIWSO to start this fall, but my mom got diagnosed with a serious illness. I asked for deffered admission into fall 2010. I was told that I needed to still apply through Optomcas due to the bylaws of optomcas. UIWSO has not recived my application yet from Optomcas because my letters and transcripts are delayed.

I hope to get an interview. That's the school that I want to attend.

Your application will be ready to send once your transcripts are verified. I'm sure you will get an interview, considering you were already accepted last year. Good luck :)

Out of curiosity (to the OP & whoever else is applying/planning on attending UIWSO), why UIWSO? What are their strong points?

What's "U.I.W.S.O."? (I'm not familiar with all the school abbreviations, and am too lazy to look this one up right now.)

What's "U.I.W.S.O."? (I'm not familiar with all the school abbreviations, and am too lazy to look this one up right now.)

Incarnate Word. It is one of 3 (I think it is 3) schools that opened this fall. While the classes might prepare you as well as other schools, I have a feeling their clinicals will be lacking. Also, I believe these schools are not certified, for lack of a better word, so while you might finish school in 4 years, if these new schools have not obtained their "certification" you might have to wait on them to get the recognition required.

This was the explanation my mother, an optometrist, gave me when I was considering where to apply. If I am wrong, I apologize, but it is definitely something to look into.

I don't feel it's likely any of the three new schools of optometry will remain uncertified over the next four years.

I wonder, how good is it to be exposed to clinical work earlier during the course of study? Some colleges place students in the environment after the second year of education, whereas others wait to do so until after the third. I imagine there are advantages and disadvantages associated with either path.

Thank you guys for the encourgment. I still have not received an interview offer from UIWSO, even though I got admitted last cycle. From my research and relatives who are ODs, all new schools get their initial accreditation prior to even setting up a website or enrolling students. there is no such thing as waiting for them to be "certified".

As for the clinical experience, that was a concern of mine too. I researched the size of the city of every school, the competition in terms of eye care providers around the school, other nearby schools of optometry, etc.

I also have family members that graduated from other schools and they tell me that they were struggling for patients when they were students for various reasons. And a lot of the supervisong doctors where very old school optometry.

I liked the school in san Antonio because it is a very large city (not sure of ranking) and patients from the south and west come to Sa for care. On of their clinics is planned to be a poor very populated area with maybe 1-2 eye doctors at the most. The other clinic has medical center buildings and clinis all around so that's a natural place where thousands of patients come to the area every day. I also really liked the new equipment and a younger faculty, at least the ones I met at my interview in spring. My OD uncle says having 2 clinics is a significant advantage.

I also love the city/weather/cheap cost of living.

I am kinda a worried, I have not recievd an interview offer from the. I thought since I was admitted last year, I would have no problem getting this year.

i applied last yr and i got waitlisted. i havent heard from them either. i loved everything about the school.

at od2013, i thought it will be hard for us to get in this yr because more ppl would apply.

i applied last yr and i got waitlisted. i havent heard from them either. i loved everything about the school.

at od2013, i thought it will be hard for us to get in this yr because more ppl would apply.

I too am in that same boat. I applied last year and was wait listed. I do hope that we get accepted this time around. I am waiting on optomcas to mail my application.

I just got an interview invitation this morning from UIWSO via email. It caught me by surprise since NONE of my LoR's have come in yet. Anybody else get one? How should I prepare for it?

Hey I will be going in for an interview there tomorrow. Have you had yours yet? What was it like? Is that your first choice?

I know I got invited for an interview when I knew they only had my OAT scores.

I have been rejected from SUNY, NECO and Pacific and was totally relieved to receive an invitation for interview at UIWSO. But I'm also worried that it is late in the cycle and that I am merely getting my hopes up.

In any case, I am preparing for my interview with UIWSO in 3 weeks. Does anyone have any specific stories from their recent interviews with this school? Would love to hear from people in the same boat as me!

Good luck to all applicants :)

It's a little strange/cool but I got an invitation to an interview a couple days after I e-submitted my application. O.O Meaning they didn't even see my actual application and my GPA hasn't been verified yet...

UIWSO is very efficient at admission processing. I was offered interview the day after I submitted my app, and was notified acceptance the afternoon after interview through email.

OptomCas can be very slow but also very fast. My grades and GPA were confirmed hours after I e-submitted. It depends on the college that you attended. I think that the OAT is now automatically linked to your app.

I got my acceptance a few days after my interview in Houston and 2 weeks after my interview at UIW/ UIWSO. Just got my letter from Indiana, 6 weeks later. Apparently Optomcas did not transmit my stuff electronically. They only got my mailed in app.

If you get your supplemental in quickly, you will get a Response much faster.

My older sister just got denied by UIWSO, she applied in October. She is still hopeful for Houston and NOVA.

Good luck guys