UIWSOM vs ATSU-KCOM

Started by vishy23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UIWSOM or ATSU KCOM

  • UIWSOM

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • ATSU KCOM

    Votes: 7 58.3%

  • Total voters
    12

vishy23

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!

I am stuck in between UIWSOM and AT Still KCOM. Both tuitions are about the same and are roughly similar distance from my house though UIWSOM is a bit closer. I'm having a hard time deciding and keep going back and forth. Any insight or help would be much appreciated!!

UIWSOM
Pros
  • P/F grading
  • Better location (in a bigger city) with newer facilities
  • Most rotations are within city
  • Strong residency match

Cons
  • Newer school (~10 years old)
  • Slightly lower board pass scores on COMLEX
  • Required class (8am-12pm most days)


AT Still KCOM
Pros
  • Super established program (oldest DO school)
  • Solid curriculum with ultrasound and other unique classes included
  • Strong residency match
  • Well recognized in DO community and good network

Cons
  • Located in rural Missouri
  • Graded curriculum
  • Most likely need to move elsewhere for 3rd year rotations

Thanks again for your help!
 
The P/F grading sounds nice for UIWSOM, but the required class would annoy me a lot IMO. I vote for AT Still KCOM due to being a very established DO program and strong residency match. Also UIWSOM tests have short answer responses in their exams. Unless if you really care about being in an urban environment, then I would go with AT Still KCOM!
 
The P/F grading sounds nice for UIWSOM, but the required class would annoy me a lot IMO. I vote for AT Still KCOM due to being a very established DO program and strong residency match. Also UIWSOM tests have short answer responses in their exams. Unless if you really care about being in an urban environment, then I would go with AT Still KCOM!
That's a good point, I believe they're working to make more of the exams multiple choice and move away from the short answers.