UK 2014 applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowIMetYourPet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! So who here is applying across the pond?!

I actually think I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, AND RVC..... anyone applying to one/all of those? I suppose we could throw in Dublin too.....they're at least across the pond, even if they're not UK :)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and does anyone have any thoughts about how the vote for Scottish independence may affect US students hoping to attend Scottish universities?

I'm on the fence about applying to RVC, Edinburg, and Glasgow. I would LOVE to go there, but it would be hard for my SO to find work.

PS- Each university chooses whether to accept international students or not so unless funding was cut or something, I don't think the policy would change.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a tough one.... have you contacted anyone over there to see the plausibility of your SO to find a job?

And yes, the funding/visa situation would be my two concerns....

From what I understand my SO would have to be sponsored by an employer, which is difficult to do. BUT if he already had a spousal visa, IDK how that would work. Haven't took the time to research it thoroughly or call someone yet though.

Oh, and does anyone have any thoughts about how the vote for Scottish independence may affect US students hoping to attend Scottish universities?

Honestly, no one can answer this.

I don't think the vote is going to go through as a yes, to be honest. But if it were the Scottish don't seem to have anything figured out... they haven't even decided on what currency they will be using. I have no idea how visa's would change or be affected either. So hopefully it does not go through.

Yeah, the latest poll I saw showed trend towards a no, so we shall see!! I feel its strange that the vote is the same day as the SET deadline hahaha

Honestly, no one can answer this.

I don't think the vote is going to go through as a yes, to be honest. But if it were the Scottish don't seem to have anything figured out... they haven't even decided on what currency they will be using. I have no idea how visa's would change or be affected either. So hopefully it does not go through.

Lol it seems the east and west coasts have opposing views on this....Because the west is pretty pro independence.

And i'm pretty sure they would move to the euro, but not for a few years at least.

Lol it seems the east and west coasts have opposing views on this....Because the west is pretty pro independence.

And i'm pretty sure they would move to the euro, but not for a few years at least.

The euro is better.... the pound is a feckin pain in the arse

Hey guys!! So I just want to confirm, because despite the fact that I've checked each website a million times, I still have doubts LOL there are no supplemental apps for US students at Edinburgh/Glasgow/RVC...correct?

no supplementals, just the GRE.
also check RVC"s experience thing cause they've changed it a bit.. something like they only count experience one year before application (forgot the exact time frame)

if the trend follows from last year, RVC is considerably more difficult for international students to get into than Edinburgh/Glasgow

also check RVC"s experience thing cause they've changed it a bit.. something like they only count experience one year before application (forgot the exact time frame)

Yeah, they have changed slightly but it shouldn't affect applicants too much I think. They require at least 2 weeks of work experience in vet practice and 2 weeks in a different environment, and those 4 weeks have to be done in the 18 months before application deadline. I'm not entirely sure if that applies to international applicants or just EU candidates, since as you'll be applying through VMCAS, you'll still include all of your experiences and they'll evaluate them all. But I'd say email them if you dont meet that requirement and are concerned.

And yup, there are zero supplements for any of the programs, which is awesome.

Thanks guys!! You've put my minds at ease!!!

I thought I'd apply to RVC anyway, because I do think it would be a really good option, but because of last year my heart's not set on it..... Edinburgh is my #1 choice (of all 10 schools I'm applying to)...my past experience is really research heavy (I've worked in biomedical research the last 6 years) and I want to continue doing research, and the idea of working with the Roselin institute is SOOOO exciting!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops let me amend my last statement actually.. I know this thread is about UK schools, but if you're considering Ireland as well, UCD does have a very short supplemental. Can't really remember paying any fees or filling out much information on it, but I do remember writing one short essay answer on why I was interested in UCD.

and I want to continue doing research, and the idea of working with the Roselin institute is SOOOO exciting!!!

At Edinburgh during your "3rd" year (technically is your 2nd year if you are a GEP student), you are required to do a SSC2 project. Basically, you get to "create" your own research project. Quite a few people jump on to a research project that someone is already running. They will send out information on how to get involved with one of those projects and a good number of those are done at the Roslin Institute (you do have to apply for these rather quickly as they are limited in number). There are also opportunities to do an intercalating degree during your time at the vet school. You will have to take a year (or so) off from vet school to do the intercalated degree but there are opportunities there to get some research experience as well.

At Edinburgh during your "3rd" year (technically is your 2nd year if you are a GEP student), you are required to do a SSC2 project. Basically, you get to "create" your own research project. Quite a few people jump on to a research project that someone is already running. They will send out information on how to get involved with one of those projects and a good number of those are done at the Roslin Institute (you do have to apply for these rather quickly as they are limited in number). There are also opportunities to do an intercalating degree during your time at the vet school. You will have to take a year (or so) off from vet school to do the intercalated degree but there are opportunities there to get some research experience as well.

Fantastic info, thanks! I had seen a touch about it from their website and video and curriculum, but I am dying for more!!

I will also be applying to the RVC, and possibly Edinburgh as well...this is the second time applying to vet. schools so I'm expanding the number of schools I apply to. Decided this year I will give it a shot :)

Hey all!!

Has anyone tried to send GRE scores to Glasgow? I can't seem to find them on the score recipient list...?

I submitted my Dublin supplemental! Anyone else interested in this school or know anything more about it?

Hey all!!

Has anyone tried to send GRE scores to Glasgow? I can't seem to find them on the score recipient list...?

When I applied, they didn't require it, but I filled out an ASR form (it's somewhere on the ets website, I can send you the link later), which allows you to fill in all of the school information.

Hey guys so I have a question about Edinburgh....

So I thought I saw somewhere that they started sending out acceptances towards the end of December, and into January..... but I just got an e-mail about potential interview locations/dates in February.....so....am I missing something, or am I misunderstanding something?

So I thought I saw somewhere that they started sending out acceptances towards the end of December, and into January..... but I just got an e-mail about potential interview locations/dates in February.....so....am I missing something, or am I misunderstanding something?

Maybe they realized that interviews are a good idea.

Reactions: 1 users

I didn't have to interview, but maybe they have changed that since I applied and was accepted? :shrug:

Are you sure that wasn't just dates for the reception? They have receptions in January and February that you can attend so that you can actually meet people from the school and learn more about it.

They didn't have interviews last year, either, so if they're doing them it's a very new thing!

The e-mail says, "The next stage for successful applicants will be to attend an interview day between the 4th and 16th of February. To allow us to plan ahead it would be helpful if you could indicate from the list below which would be your preferred location should you be invited for interview"

.... I was kinda looking forward to an answer by December ;)

It could be the reception, that maybe they're just calling an interview? idk.....

Nope...sounds like they are now doing interviews. I think as the programs and applicant pools grow, they want to not just base acceptance on numbers.

Hi all! I am applying next year to Edinburgh and I was wanting to know if they require the pre - reqs to be completed at the time of application or have a couple pre reqs left to take kind of like it is here in the states for a number of the schools? I am on track to finish Biochem spring 2016 to give you an idea of where I am at.

Hi all! I am applying next year to Edinburgh and I was wanting to know if they require the pre - reqs to be completed at the time of application or have a couple pre reqs left to take kind of like it is here in the states for a number of the schools? I am on track to finish Biochem spring 2016 to give you an idea of where I am at.
When I applied I still had a few prereqs left to complete, and it worked out fine!

Oh wonderful! Are you attending there now?
As long as you've got all the prereqs done by the summer before you start classes I think you're good! :)

I unfortunately turned the acceptance down so I could establish residency in a different state and save a bit of money. It was something that was really really difficult for me to do; I think it's an awesome school!

Did you interview for there or do they base it off of your application?

I am applying to RVS this year as well, and I was wondering if any of you guys got confirmation email or anything. WHen I emailed them asking something about the admission process they just let me know that I will hear from them by the end of November with the interview decisiton. But I didn't get an email saying my application is commplete or anything. Any ideas?

I am applying to RVS this year as well, and I was wondering if any of you guys got confirmation email or anything. WHen I emailed them asking something about the admission process they just let me know that I will hear from them by the end of November with the interview decisiton. But I didn't get an email saying my application is commplete or anything. Any ideas?

I've heard nothing from them. I've also heard nothing from Glasgow. Or 2 of the US schools I applied to... We're still early in the process, I wouldn't worry until farther down the line

Did you interview for there or do they base it off of your application?
There weren't interviews last year; it was all off of my application. I think it seems like they're doing interviews this year, though!

Did anyone else get that e-mail?

Hey I haven't received any emails yet from Edinburgh or Glasgow. Can I ask when you got verified? Also did Edinburgh send you a confirmation email that they received your application? Should I be worried that I haven't heard from either of these two schools?? :/

Hey I haven't received any emails yet from Edinburgh or Glasgow. Can I ask when you got verified? Also did Edinburgh send you a confirmation email that they received your application? Should I be worried that I haven't heard from either of these two schools?? :/

I got the email from Edinburgh on the 8th. I submitted 9/9... I don't remember when I was verified, but I think it was about a week after I submitted.

I haven't gotten anything from Glasgow or RVC. Not even an email :( I was verified Sept 22nd.

I'm curious if anyone knows much about the admissions process for UK schools. I feel like they don't have much info on their sites. For instance do they start out by looking at academics or do they look at the whole applicant. I know they prefer at least a gpa of 3.4 but I have seen people on here get in with a gpa below that. Just wondering.

I'm curious if anyone knows much about the admissions process for UK schools. I feel like they don't have much info on their sites. For instance do they start out by looking at academics or do they look at the whole applicant. I know they prefer at least a gpa of 3.4 but I have seen people on here get in with a gpa below that. Just wondering.

With more and more people applying, what they are looking for has changed significantly from when I was applying. I know Glasgow looks at building a class of well rounded people, rather than just basing it on numbers.

As for when they confirm receipt of your app, it's still early. I wouldn't worry too much. They usually work in batches.

Does anyone at Edinburgh have a current list of society officers? :) I need to get in touch with one of the societies.

Hey guys, so, I'm having a mini panic moment....

I just read on Edinburgh's website that Nov 1st is the deadline for transcripts..... do they need a separate copy more than just VMCAS?!?! I'm now panicking because I haven't sent my transcripts directly to them and Nov 1 is 6 days away.....

(I'm e-mailing them as we speak about it too)

Finally got an email from RVC acknowledging my application ! Bahaha here's hoping I get an interview invite. Still no news from Glasgow :(

I too got my email from RVC! Yay! Hopefully well know something soon!!!

Also I figured out the Edinburgh situation, no transcripts needed (crisis averted)

Finally got an email from RVC acknowledging my application ! Bahaha here's hoping I get an interview invite. Still no news from Glasgow :(

I contacted Glasgow asking if they received my app and they replied and said they had. If you are worried I suggest contacting them. Unfortunately I don't think they contact you confirming receipt of app.

I contacted Glasgow asking if they received my app and they replied and said they had. If you are worried I suggest contacting them. Unfortunately I don't think they contact you confirming receipt of app.

Haha guess I'll be on pins and needles until I get an interview invite or a flat out no :p

Haha guess I'll be on pins and needles until I get an interview invite or a flat out no :p

Speaking of which does anyone know when Glasgow typically sends out interview invites? Sorry if this has been said but I couldn't find an answer on the forum.

Speaking of which does anyone know when Glasgow typically sends out interview invites? Sorry if this has been said but I couldn't find an answer on the forum.

In the old "Official Interview Invites" it looked like Glasgow sent out as early as October 24th... Which is what worries me, lol.