UK or Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yimfong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know that i should study medicine in UK or Australia. Which is better? Which is more acceptable by the US medical council?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are fine, both have wonderful schools. I know that doesn't help any, but neither will give you a certain advantage in US placement. What you have to factor are costs (Australia much cheaper than UK), how much you think each area suits you, etc etc etc

I reckon your probably gonna have to jump through a few hoops if you want to study in a foreign country and practice in the states regardless. So like Leorl said, the things you really have to consider are cost and lifestyle (eg. bbq'd garlic prawns vs pigs trotters, chips & mushy peas) and the structure of the medical courses at each institution you are interested in (Australian grad entry courses are primarily PBL).

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to schools to both..if you get accepted to some in one and not the other---you'll have your answer of where to go...

both
Originally posted by yimfong:
•I don't know that i should study medicine in UK or Australia. Which is better? Which is more acceptable by the US medical council?•

Both are equally good. I know some UK students who left to study medicine in Australia, and some Australia students who came to study medicine in the UK (in the later case, the UK gives some full scholarships to the Aust/NZ students to study med in UK, but they were as hard to get as a Mitchell scholarship, like only 5 students or so--one was benchmarked for Trinity med in Ireland).

Cost of living is siginificanly lower in Australia, which plays a heavy part since you will also have to pay a full tuition.

Your best bet is to somehow work it out such that that you can study half of each year in UK, and the other half in Australia, so you can have a summer year round :)