UK or UNC? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AC3_PharmD

EM Clinical Pharmacist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student who is currently deciding between two different pharmacy schools, UNC and UK. I live in Georgia so both school would be considered OOS tuition for me. I was impressed by both institutions, but the biggest pitfall for me has got to be the financial costs. I know it is harder to get scholarships at UNC and that they only start your 2nd year, but I've heard it's possible to get in-state tution after your first year.

In contrast I've got U of Kentucky where it's impossible to get in-state tuition, but they've tacked on a pretty nice 60K scholarship that is guaranteed all 4 years. That doesn't include the possibility of getting even more scholarship $$. Right now I'm at a crossroads. I liked both of the schools equally, but financial stuff is the biggest hurdle for me. So here is my current state:

U of KY:

Pros:
-60 K scholarship
-More scholarship money possible
-Great facility
-MPH/PharmD 4 years.

Cons:
-No In-state tution

UNC:

Pros:
-In-state tuition possible
-Scholarships possible after 1st year
-Great facility

Cons:
-No guaranteed scholarships
-MPH/PharmD in 5 years.

PLEASE HELP ME. I'M TEARING MY HAIR OUT.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if I could get some advice from students who go to both schools I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they did which was awesome :). But like I said I'm sort of stuck. I am trying to spend the LEAST amount of money. I know they're both great schools.

Wow, good for you! If you want to spend the least amount of money on your pharmacy education, then I think you've already known your answer. It's a really tough choice and I would pull my hair out too if I were you!

I would pick the school with most opportunity to work as tech/intern in the area if you have car. i would think unc would be the choice then, not ukentucky (i heard kentucky is pretty saturated too?) i could be wrong on this...but you need a job after you graduate which is getting harder to find and for you those times will be much harder.

both are great schools but i'd lean unc. i think unc has more opportunity than uk, though im totally guessing here, you would know better. also if you change your mind, i think unc has more reputable programs than uk (again biased opinion, not all too sure).

as for cost, they seem about the same just uk is more guaranteed. again don't know your situation but if there's a good chance for instate tuition at unc and you understand the situation right to get that rate, i'd do unc. i don't think their mph program is helpful or a benefit imo but opinions differ

Yeah I've had some time to think about it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to do UNC. The draw of possible in-state tuition is just too great o_O Plus I can get my MPH later when I actually have money...

UNC! The scholarship is great but I think not enough to pass up the #2 school, especially if you can pay in-state tuition later. Unless you liked UK more.

Just from goggling tuition rates, even if you have to pay OOS tuition your first year at UNC and get in-state for the next 3, you'll still pay less in tuition than going to UK with your 60k scholarship.

If you're confident you eventually can claim residency, then go for UNC.

I am a 1st year at UNC ESOP. The in state residency is extremely difficult and most people do not get it. I know a few did (I am going to try my luck after this semester as well)
While both schools are great program, UNC prides on its preparation for continual education- pharmacy residencies... Which is the factor that drove me to UNC. Best of luck and congrats

I'd make sure you can actually get in-state tuition at UNC before you commit. Call the school and figure this out first. It's very difficult to get in-state as a previous poster said.

Another question/possible option. Why are you not applying/going to UGA if you are from GA? The tuition would be dirt cheap and they offer a lot of scholarships.

The reason I'm looking at UNC for in-state tuition is because they pressed it really hard and made it sound pretty easy during the interview process. In addition, I've got family that lives there and have already started the residency process so I think I should be okay.

As far as UGA...I don't even want to go into the poor experience I had there while checking out the school. I want to go somewhere I'm happy for 4 years, not somewhere I don't think I'll like at all.