UK Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allotheria

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a job offer for clinical psych in London, how is the field there? Psychologists can work with an MA there right? I was thinking about taking the offer while I finish up my PhD. Also can you explain the whole GBR thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Allotheria,

I wasn't aware that you could work as a clinical psychologist in the UK with just an M.A. Maybe it's down to differences in training between the UK and the States. Did you get awarded the MA at a certain point in your PhD training? I am still somewhat confused by the US system so pardon my ignorance. Also what do you mean by 'GBR'?

There's a forum similar to this in the UK that you might find helpful. Check out www.psyclick.org.uk.

Best wishes

E

Limerick Gal said:
Hi Allotheria,

I wasn't aware that you could work as a clinical psychologist in the UK with just an M.A. Maybe it's down to differences in training between the UK and the States. Did you get awarded the MA at a certain point in your PhD training? I am still somewhat confused by the US system so pardon my ignorance. Also what do you mean by 'GBR'?

There's a forum similar to this in the UK that you might find helpful. Check out www.psyclick.org.uk.

Best wishes

E

Thank you for the help... When I look at the listing of the Chartered Psychologists which I assume is the listing of licensed psychologists in the UK some are labeled Dr. and others are Mr/Mrs. It further lists the degree/training which are masters degrees or doctorates.

I have 2 masters. I have an MS Counseling which is the 60 credit masters licensure degree and the MA on my way to the PhD. So if others in the UK can work with a masters maybe I can too.

The GBR is the ''Graduate Basis for Registration'' (GBR) of the BPS. Which is extremly confusing. I thought that that the US had a complex system.

Thank you again!

Ah, now I getcha! You shouldn't have a problem, allotheria. As regards the GBR, 'tis a fairly complicated system alright but I think it's not much different to the US one.

There's a section on the BPS website on 'International matters' that would be of relevance to you and that you may have checked out already. Below is one of the documents I found in that section that explains about GBR and how to go about getting it.

See: http://www.bps.org.uk/documents/overseas.pdf

Hope this helps.
Congrats on getting the job, by the way :)
Best of luck,
E

Limerick Gal said:
Ah, now I getcha! You shouldn't have a problem, allotheria. As regards the GBR, 'tis a fairly complicated system alright but I think it's not much different to the US one.

There's a section on the BPS website on 'International matters' that would be of relevance to you and that you may have checked out already. Below is one of the documents I found in that section that explains about GBR and how to go about getting it.

See: http://www.bps.org.uk/documents/overseas.pdf

Hope this helps.
Congrats on getting the job, by the way :)
Best of luck,
E

Heh, I had looked at the PDF file already and that's where my questions arose. Basically I'm wondering if my masters degree will enable me to be a clinical psychologist there or if I have to wait for my doctorate. In the US you can only be a psychologist if you have your PhD/PsyD. We do have masters level licensure but they have different names such as counselor etc. Also, I'm wondering if there is a huge difference between doctoral and masters level. I know that there is a shortage of clinical psychologists in the UK so maybe I'll be much more marketable then I am here. I suppose I could wait till I finish the PhD, but if I can practice and finish the dissertation why not go?

Thank you again for all the help!!!

Mmmm. I reckon your best bet is to e-mail or call the BPS. To the best of my knowledge you have to have a PsyD (3 years accredited training) or have completed the BPS or PSI diploma in clinical psychology (c.a.5yrs) to work in the area in the UK and Ireland. How long are the PsyD and PhD courses in the US and at what point do you get awarded an MA?

I have heard of people getting basic grade/Grade A clinical positions in Ireland before having completed the above training, but that was a few years ago and I suspect this no longer happens. However, as you've already pointed out, there is a severe shortage of clinical psychologist in the UK. It is possible that your MA in counselling psychology coupled with your clinical training will be sufficient qualification for the post but you really will need to contact the BPS to find out for sure. In Ireland, I know changes are already occurring that will enable counselling psychologists to go on to practice as clinical psychologists.

In the UK system, you can call yourself a psychologist if you have completed accredited training at postgraduate level (and undergraduate) but this can be a Masters in a particular speciality (e.g. Educational psych) or a PsyD or a PhD. Or the BPS/PSI diploma in clinical psychology. As for your question about the difference between doctoral and masters level - do you mean in general or specific to a particular area. Masters level is usually between 1 and 2 years' training. PhD is usually between 3 and 5.

Sorry if I'm not explaining all this very well :oops:

Slainte,
E

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. This is extremely helpful. Let me answer some of your questions and ask a few of my own.

What is the "BPS/PSI diploma in clinical psychology." My PhD in the states is a 5 year program. I'm not worried about my degrees transferring. My masters are geared toward clinical work and the MA on the way to the PhD is awarded in the 2nd year. I was must curious about the roles that a MA has compared to a PhD. Here are examples of where my confusion comes from…. These are from the BPS website.

Name: Mr Khwaja Asad Abbas, AFBPsS
Qualifications:BA
Membership Number:1621
Job Title Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Clinical Work Area(s)Adult mental health - General

Name: Miss Laura Joy Bach
Qualifications:MA Hons, MSc
Membership Number:19353
Job Title Clinical Psychologist
Clinical Work Area(s)NeuropsychologyResearchTeaching

Name: Mr Mark David Chapman
Qualifications:MSocSci, BA, BA Hons
Membership Number: 90996
Job Title Clinical Psychologist
Clinical Work Area(s)Adult mental health - GeneralOther / None Specified

From what I can tell these are masters level practitioners???

Allotheria, I think in the past,it was not necessary to have a doctorate in Clinical Psychology in order to practice as a CP in the UK and ROI - hence the lack of the relevant letters after those names that you found on the BPS website. Indeed, I came across a few UK universities that are offering ?top up?courses for CPs that do not have doctorates. Nowadays, however, it is essential to have completed the D.Clin.Psych training or the BPS or PSI (Psychological Society of Ireland) Diploma in Clinical. The latter are independent of a particular university. Instead, traineeships are advertised in the newspapers by particular organisations (e.g. large services for people with learning disabilities). These organisations fund the trainee for the entire course of the training (2-5 years, usually) and help him/her find placements in the relevant areas (e.g. child and adolescent, adult mental health etc). Trainees have to submit case studies, sit exams set by the BPS/PSI though I?m not sure about how these are organised. Oddly enough, I couldn?t find much information on this route on either the BPS or the PSI websites. If I find any useful links in the meantime, I?ll post them up or send you a PM. Any luck with contacting the BPS, by the way?

Hi,

Nope no luck with the BPS. I wrote them an email the other day they've yet to respond to it. It's nice to see that bureaucracy is the same the world over though. I think you're right though. That really does explain the MA's as psychologists. I guess I'll just have to wait another year and finish my PhD.

Thank you again for all your help.