UK School entry reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumnmuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been researching some of the UK schools such as Edinburgh and Glasgow. And since their programs are 5 year and students start there as undergrads, do they accept American students who haven't completed a BA/BS/done the pre-reqs for American vet schools?

I'm wondering because I definitely plan on getting my vet tech degree first, from the Bel-Rea Institute here in Denver. But after that, is there a way to apply to say Edinburgh without doing three more years of pre-reqs? Or do I have to get all the same prereqs done first as I would for a US school? Apologies in advance if this is a totally dumb question. I am still just learning how this process works.

I have spent time in both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and I love Edinburgh the city a lot more than Glasgow, which is more dirty and industrial. My husband grew up in Glasgow but his brother is a professor and research director at Edinburgh University, and he also has several close friends there, so I would consider going to Edinburgh instead of an OOS school in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm at U of Glasgow right now. It's my understanding that yes, you would need to have your pre-reqs already completed before applying to the vet program. School is different in the UK. While the UK students are technically entering undergrad as a 1st year vet student, they've also already had the pre-reqs in high school. I think you'd be completely lost if you didn't have the background for some of these classes; Physiology and Biomolecular Sciences, specifically.
Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Also, I typed the above while tired and not thinking clearly. I did not mean to imply that Glasgow is a bad city in any way; I just personally find Edinburgh more aesthetically appealing.

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries... everyone has their tastes. I've been to Edinburgh twice since I arrived here (I was actually there yesterday for xmas shopping), and I'll agree with you that, for the most part, it is more aesthetically pleasing than Glasgow. But it's also way too entirely touristy for my taste...I've yet to be able to walk on Princes Street without feeling claustrophobic....it's like NYC on steroids, lol. I always wondered if I should have gone to vet school in edinburgh, but since I've visited the city, I'm very happy with my choice of Glasgow; it just feels more authentic...just my two cents. :)

I've been researching some of the UK schools such as Edinburgh and Glasgow. And since their programs are 5 year and students start there as undergrads, do they accept American students who haven't completed a BA/BS/done the pre-reqs for American vet schools?

I'm a GEP at UoE and LOVE IT! It's really hard, but so worth it. Dick vet has two programmes: a four year (GEP) and a five year. For the GEP you need to have a previous degree, but for the 5 year you don't.
Entry requirements for 5 year
Entry requirements for 4 year

Remember, there is also the RVC in London (SUPEr expensive), and I believe that the Univeristy of Dublin was recently accredited (not in the UK, but close).