UK Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHBphd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a US student applying to schools in the UK, I'm thinking specifically Glasgow and the Royal Vet School, would I need to spend 5 years in school there? Or do they have a 4 year program? The websites aren't very clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Royal Vet School has both a 4 year and 5 year program. After I submitted my application to them they sent an email asking if I was interested in the 4 year (GEP), 5 year or both. I said both and was accepted into the 4 year program. I am not sure what Glasgow does, but pick Edinburgh... It is better..;)

Are you asking about Royal Vet College(RVC) in London or Royal (Dick) Vet School in Edinburgh? Also I think Glasgow is only 5 years, not 100% sure about RVC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glasgow is only 5 years as of now. Edinburgh and RVC both have a 4 year option in addition to the 5 year option. If you don't get accepted to the 4 year option, they give you the choice of being considered for admission to the 5 year course.

Glasgow used to have a 4 year accelerated program, but because it has become such a popular program, there just wasn't enough room in the second year classes to continue it, so we are a 5 year only! The other 2 UK schools (Edinburgh and London) do have GEP programs that are 4 years.

(And ignore DVM saying Dick vet is better :p )

I know no such thing. Glasgow is a wonderful place once you get over the rain. :)

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have rain..... so not really sure that is a good comparison... and I love how DVM is saying Edinburgh is better and she hasn't even started there yet :rolleyes:

Best to research each school....probably apply to all of them (if you are interested in them) and then if you are accepted to more then one and are able to go visit prior to accepting in order to make the best decision. JMO Everyone is different and looking for different things, so you might find one school fits you better. :)

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have rain..... so not really sure that is a good comparison... and I love how DVM is saying Edinburgh is better and she hasn't even started there yet :rolleyes:

Best to research each school....probably apply to all of them (if you are interested in them) and then if you are accepted to more then one and are able to go visit prior to accepting in order to make the best decision. JMO Everyone is different and looking for different things, so you might find one school fits you better. :)

^What she said.

Snarkyyyyyyy.

All kidding aside...how is da burgh treating you so far??

It is ok... Trying to get used to the bus routes and trying to figure out where the hell I am going. By the way, it is hard to travel without a map which is what I did last night in the dark and the rain.

It is ok... Trying to get used to the bus routes and trying to figure out where the hell I am going. By the way, it is hard to travel without a map which is what I did last night in the dark and the rain.

Yes...maps are quite helpful. Usually the bus drivers here are pretty nice and will tell you where to get off?

Sorry I can't be of more help...I don't know that bus system/city that well aside from Waverly and the Royal Mile. But if you need help moving or something, or just a friend, I could maybe come over for a bit and get lost with you into margarita land! :)

Yes...maps are quite helpful. Usually the bus drivers here are pretty nice and will tell you where to get off?

Sorry I can't be of more help...I don't know that bus system/city that well aside from Waverly and the Royal Mile. But if you need help moving or something, or just a friend, I could maybe come over for a bit and get lost with you into margarita land! :)

I got a map today and I am figuring out the buses now. But I can always use help getting lost in margarita land.

in what way is it better? i've heard more about glasgow, but i know that's hardly a complete picture.

in what way is it better? i've heard more about glasgow, but i know that's hardly a complete picture.

Because there are more of us cool SDNers at Edinburgh than at Glasgow...

And because I have to poke fun at SnS....:p

Honestly, both schools will give you a great education... Edinburgh is beautiful, I haven't been to Glasgow yet. I have a vet friend who visited both Glasgow and Edinburgh and she told me she believes that there are vampires in Glasgow...

Hey there used to be a lot of Glasgow peeps on here! If you have specific questions about Glasgow. just ask. Or there are a bunch of other threads comparing the UK schools, and have a more varied opinion from more people.

And neither is "better". Her comment stems from the rivalry between the two schools, mostly in sports and the social scene, less in academics.
Edinburgh and Glasgow collaborate on many things, especially research.

I have yet to meet a vampire DVM. You may be thinking of Dublin and Devyn's sleeping schedule being slightly suspicious. ;)

I have yet to meet a vampire DVM. You may be thinking of Dublin and Devyn's sleeping schedule being slightly suspicious. ;)

Very funny SnS...... there are no vampires here.... just whiskey... lots of whiskey and people who enjoy consuming it and partaking in night-owlism.... :D

Very funny SnS...... there are no vampires here.... just whiskey... lots of whiskey and people who enjoy consuming it and partaking in night-owlism.... :D

:love:....and leprechauns!!!!!