UK to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a medical student studying in the UK now and I'm just a bit confused about the whole going back to Canada thing. Just hoping some of you could clear things up for me. Is there any way I can transfer to a medical school in Canada in my third year or something? I'm guessing even if you could, the chances are really low.. which leads me to my second question. I've read a lot about IMGs in Canada, can I apply for residency in Canada after my 5 years of med school? Or would I have to do my two foundation years in the UK before applying for residency in Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested in hearing more about this as well. Anyone?

Is there any way I can transfer to a medical school in Canada in my third year or something?
No. Canadian schools do not accept international transfers - American schools do.
I've read a lot about IMGs in Canada, can I apply for residency in Canada after my 5 years of med school?
Yes. Most do.

What did you know before applying and getting accepted abroad? Kinda a big gamble (and blind) not knowing the above before going away, don't you think especially not knowing the questions above?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a medical student studying in the UK now and I'm just a bit confused about the whole going back to Canada thing. Just hoping some of you could clear things up for me. Is there any way I can transfer to a medical school in Canada in my third year or something? I'm guessing even if you could, the chances are really low.. which leads me to my second question. I've read a lot about IMGs in Canada, can I apply for residency in Canada after my 5 years of med school? Or would I have to do my two foundation years in the UK before applying for residency in Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Hiya,
I would recomend doing some electives. I know that open up some spots for IMG. So you'll have the chance to compete with Cdn graduates for CARMS match. But try in your summer hols to do some electives here.
J

No possibility of a transfer.

You should definitely look into doing electives if you want to match thru CaRMS. Be prepared though, you will have to work really hard to be competative with the Canadian students. My experience having UK students is that they are way behind their Canadian counterparts - The UK students just dont have the same clinical experience that the Canadians do. However, if you are easy to get along with, intelligent and work hard then that matters much more.

Ye ive bin wondering the same thing, im in the middle of my medical degree in australia.... what electives would be benificial?
Also if you are an IMG is their a time period you have to wait to sit the exams (forgot what they are called) or can you take them straight after you graduate?

Hey, thanks for all the info! Almost forgot about this since it was so long ago. I'll continue looking into it. I'm currently only in my first year but will be applying for electives at UT, western and mcmaster in my third year. Do you think it's enough applying to three? I heard the programs are easy to get into as long as you apply early.

To answer the previously, I've actually been moving around a lot and didn't study high school in canada. But it still feels most at home to me so I was just seeing what options I had in the future.